Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger model77 african, .375 hh

Default Ruger model77 african, .375 hh

I would like hear what y'all think of this gun, I have never had any dealings with ruger. I'm considering trading for this gun new,but before I do I would like to hear y'all's thought's. THANKS.

Default Ruger

The only African model I am aware of is the Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger, totally different round than the H&H. Good gun though and I shoot the Alaskan Model, 20" barrel version and synthetic stock with the black stainless barrel.

The older Tropicals were good guns if thats what you are looking at.

Thanks for the replys, I guess not many folks know much about rugers.

I've played around with one of these a freinds owns. Nice rifle for the most part- he had some trouble getting the folding leaf sights to zero but I think that's kinda intrinsic in the whole design.

I don't care for the whole multi leaf sight thing- cool to look at and traditional on an African type rifle but really pretty impractical in the field. I much prefer the single standing leaf arrangement on the Hawkeye African and Alaskan for a backup sight.

It is a heavy rifle at something like 10lbs without scope and nearer to 11 with a scope and Ruger's "generous" scope rings. It does tame the bite of the .375- though I wouldn't want to lug one very far.

If you can score one at a good deal I wouldn't pass it up. I don't think I'd like one for Alaska hunting- too much vertical walking and too much wet to trash the finish. I'm not sure I'd shell out the money they ask for one of these new (about $2K). For what its worth, you can buy a lot of hunting rifle elsewhere for $2K...

Quote Originally Posted by terra View Post
    Thanks for the replys, I guess not many folks know much about rugers.
    Kind of a rude statement from a new guy wouldn't you say? You had two replies in one hour and seven minutes. Not everyone stays online 24/7.

It seems that you don't know much about Rugers. The African is a 23" .375 Ruger not .375 H&H. As said by AKRSTABOUT it's a totally different cartridge, one that I happen to prefer.

Click below and see for yourself.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...can/index.html

The only current bolt action offering in 375 H&H from Ruger is in the link below. The Ruger 375 will out preform it in velocity and energy when loaded with the same bullets. However, the 375 H&H has been around since 1912 and has a slight taper in the case that allows for good feeding. It also has a little more neck which designers seem to prefer in their brass.

375 H&H ammo is widely available. 375 Ruger ammo is becoming more available as time goes on.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/7501.html

Hodgeman,

It sounds like you're talking about the M77RSM MK-II Magnum chambered in 375H&H. That rifle is 10lbs and $2334 at full price. There is one on gun broker for $1500.00 right now. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147494781

Terra referenced the African in his post. The African HM77RS is 7 3/4 lbs and $1079 at full price. They can be found for as little as $700.00 with a little digging.This link is for an Alaskan but they are the same price as the African. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147284046

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Hodgeman,

It sounds like you're talking about the M77RSM MK-II Magnum chambered in 375H&H. That rifle is 10lbs and $2334 at full price. There is one on gun broker for $1500.00 right now. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147494781

Terra referenced the African in his post. The African HM77RS is 7 3/4 lbs and $1079 at full price. They can be found for as little as $700.00 with a little digging.This link is for an Alaskan but they are the same price as the African. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147284046
    Yeah- the "375 H&H" kinda threw me off, I was talking about the MkII "Magnum" not the Hawkeye "African" in .375 Ruger.

I've got the Alaskan version of the Hawkeye- very practical rifle IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've got the Alaskan version of the Hawkeye- very practical rifle IMHO.
    Me too, I'm very pleased with mine and Brett likes his African.

The rifle in question is heavy, and the bloated price tag keeps a lot of these rifles on the shelf, gathering dust. I suggest looking at the Kimber Talkeetna.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The rifle in question is heavy, and the bloated price tag keeps a lot of these rifles on the shelf, gathering dust. I suggest looking at the Kimber Talkeetna.

No doubt about the Kimber being a fine rifle. However, it too is over $2,000.00 retail.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/product...lty/talkeetna/

$1700 on gun broker for a new Kimber.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=147434410

Angry

I said thanks for the replys, if you think I was rude because I said I guess nobody knows anything about rugers,maybe you need not to be so ''thin skinned'' the comment wasnt meant to be rude. Dont start reading things into my post that isnt there! As far as the time of my posts you better check again.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Me too, I'm very pleased with mine and Brett likes his African.
    Indeed I do! I'm not sure which rifle the poster is refering to, but I'll give my run down on rationelle for the African.

If I had my drethers I'd take a .375 H&H over a Ruger, but the cartridge is the second most inportant thing to me behind me liking the rifle itself.

The MK2 in .375H&H is a very well put together rifle for the money as are the CZs. I like the MK2 better than the CZs because it has a 3 position safety and the stock is appropriately sized. The CZs are VERY bulky in .375. Unfortunately the CZ and MK2 are both VERY heavy for calibre. At 10 unscoped or loaded that is WAY too much in my oppinion as the .375H&H doesn't kick that much (to me). However it would be a good gun if you're recoil sensitive and you need a .375.

The Ruger Africans which come in the .375 Ruger rather than H&H are nice rifles. The MK is probably a little sturdier, but hence the extra weight. The African is weighted appropriately in my oppinion at 7.75lbs unscoped and unloaded. I like the sights on the African better than the sights on the CZs or MK2s. The stock has a less bulky feel to me as well. The triggers are crap and a trigger job should be priority #1 after purchasing an African. The POS red recoil pad is just that a POS. I have a Pachmyer on it now. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the safety in the rear position is a little hard to get a hold of on all the Rugers. I'm not sure why they did that, but it's not the end of the world. Either of the Rugers are great guns, but they're quite different.

Brett

I talked with Art Alphin owner of A-square as I sent him a $1000.00 deposit to build me a .577 trex, that was 3yrs and 6mths ago. I got tired of waiting and asked for my deposit back so he's trying to trade me this gun for the deposit. I do not know anything about rugers thats why I asked,Art said the gun was a model 77 african model in .375hh thats all I know about it.THANKS AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO REPLIED.

I talked with Art Alphin owner of A-square as I sent him a $1000.00 deposit to build me a .577 trex, that was 3yrs and 6mths ago. I got tired of waiting and asked for my deposit back so he's trying to trade me this gun for the deposit. I do not know anything about rugers thats why I asked,Art said the gun was a model 77 african model in .375hh thats all I know about it.THANKS AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO REPLIED.
    Clarify with him which he means. I'm guessing it's probably the MK2 in H&H.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Clarify with him which he means. I'm guessing it's probably the MK2 in H&H.

Brett
    If it's the $2334.00 MK-II version new in box then take it, not bad for a grand.

It's a bummer that you give a guy some cash to build a rifle and all he can do is offer something that you didn't really want. If that's the case perhaps you can profit from the experience.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    The only thing I'm not crazy about is the safety in the rear position is a little hard to get a hold of on all the Rugers. I'm not sure why they did that, but it's not the end of the world. Brett

Brett,

If your familiar with taking the trigger and safety apart you can put a dab of valve lapping compound on the safety under the retainer slide and work it back and forth about a hundred times. It's available from most auto parts stores. It's just a gritty paste in a tube.

Clean it out with a spray degreaser like gun scrubber or contact cleaner after you have worked it in. Put a dab of grease on the safety and slide the retainer back on to secure it. Reassemble the trigger and the safety will be slick and smooth like butter.

There is a short video on the Ruger site under tech tips about disassembly. The safety and trigger are covered towards the end.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/resources/videos.html#

I said thanks for the replys, if you think I was rude because I said I guess nobody knows anything about rugers,maybe you need not to be so ''thin skinned'' the comment wasnt meant to be rude. Dont start reading things into my post that isnt there! As far as the time of my posts
    you better check again.
    Thin skinned? No, just a little fatigued when the alarm went off this morning.

You must be a nice guy to let another keep your $1000.00 for 3.5 years and offer something you don't want in exchange.

I hope it works out for you.

I wouldnt say I waited 3 and a half years cause I was nice, Man I
    just really wanted that T-REX! To tell ya the truth the .375 will be fine with me as long as the ruger is a good gun.

I just really wanted that T-REX!
    That's a little to much rifle for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCY3_5Bg1M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast