Thread: Remington 7400

Default Remington 7400

Hey guys, I found a Remington 7400 carbine in 30.06, any experience with these. Are they a descent rifle? I thought it looked interesting, somthing to goof around with.
    Thanx for any info/ opinions.

You're going to get mixed reviews. Folks seem to love them or hate them, based on experience or folk lore. I've never had a bad experience with them, and all I've tried have been surprisingly accurate and reliable. Other folks report different results, whether first hand or third or fourth. As with all models, each rifle is an individual, though the variance seems a lot broader with the 7400 and 7600. I don't own one at the moment, though I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another at the right price. As you have learned, they're really fun to shoot!

I had a 740 back when they came out and it was a good utility gun with OK accuracy

I have a Rem. 742 in 30-06 and it shoots nice and good accuracy. I can not say the same about the 7400 and it no longer lives here.

Is the 742 a newer variant of the 7400 or is it a completely different animal? I havn't made a purchase yet just digging for info from the wealth of knowlage here. I think I'm goin to get it if nothing else to satisfy my own curiosity.
    Thanx for the info guys

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Is the 742 a newer variant of the 7400 or is it a completely different animal? I havn't made a purchase yet just digging for info from the wealth of knowlage here. I think I'm goin to get it if nothing else to satisfy my own curiosity.
    Thanx for the info guys

a 742 is basically an earlier version of the 7400. They go 740, 742, 7400 and now the 750. They are all basically the same with a few differences or re-designed parts if you will. I have had the same 742 for a long time and it has never let me down. Easily shoots minute of deer with any load I run through it. I wouldnt hesitate to pick it up. One piece of advice though, NO lube of any sort in the gas system whatsoever-keep it dry.

I have a 7400 in 30 06 and it is a decent rifle. It will shoot 1 1/2 " groups at 100 yards with a max load of IMR4350 and Speer 150gr GS handloads. I figure that is not bad considering the non-fixable 5 1/2 pound trigger pull. I did have to resort to using a small base full length resizing die to improve functioning. Overall, I think all the variants are good working quality rifles and there are tons of used ones around at reasonable prices. I ended up putting a Ramline synthetic forend and butt stock in youth size on mine to size it for my teenage daughter who loves it.

My department has one in .30-06 for bear DLP use. It's easier to teach non-shooting officers to use because of it's 870 similarities.

The only issue I had with it is the OEM stock comb is to high for use the apperture sight an needed to be swapped out with an aftermarket stock that had a normal drop at the comb.

I never had a problem crawling around in the alder bushes with it.
    Now what ?

2D: I have owned two 742s in 30-06 over the years. Still have the carbine version. As someone said you will get mixed reviews and hear them called Jamamatics by some. Not the most accurate gun in the world, but OK for deer hunting at reasonable ranges. They are used quite a bit in this area, and if you will brush out the chamber every 15-20 rounds with solvent and a brass chamber brush, much of the jamming problem will go away. Many of the problems also stem from trying to ease the bolt forward during loading and not getting it fully closed. I have seen more than one mad hunter with that problem.

I have never had any problems with reloads, just make sure you resize fully and crimp well. I use a factory crimp die and a bullet with a crimp groove but I am not sure that is required.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtop View Post
    2D: Many of the problems also stem from trying to ease the bolt forward during loading and not getting it fully closed. I have seen more than one mad hunter with that problem.
    Oh Yeah I have great story of losing a chance at a moose from my first year in Alaska from this!

have had several 742's and never had a problem. They dont like the real heavy 06 rounds, I would assume the 7400 would be the same. I would also assume maintenance might be why some fail.

Steve, the 7400 is not like the 870 in any way, perhaps your dept has a 7600?

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    have had several 742's and never had a problem. They dont like the real heavy 06 rounds, I would assume the 7400 would be the same. I would also assume maintenance might be why some fail.

Steve, the 7400 is not like the 870 in any way, perhaps your dept has a 7600?
    Nope, it's a 7400 semi-auto. The similarities I was refering to are the receiver, safety location, crappy 870 style trigger adapted for rifle use, general weight and handling.

I'm the armorer and firearm instructor.

You are right, they don't do heavy loads well. It wreck the rims on 180s due to the longer pressure curve.
    Now what ?

One thing not addressed is that carbine barrel. Mine flaps my pant legs when I shoot! I hate the extra noise, but for pure fun and quick handling, I do like to shoot it. While I don't think I'd ever clip an 06 barrel so short, the darned thing sure is appealing when you actually use it.

I think triple k of ramline may still make 20round mags for them. Do buy a barrel wrench if you get one

My dad has the .243 version and it works well and has taken caribou as well as moose with it. I used it on seals a few times and shoots pretty good.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Addition

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    a 742 is basically an earlier version of the 7400. They go 740, 742, 7400 and now the 750. They are all basically the same with a few differences or re-designed parts if you will. I have had the same 742 for a long time and it has never let me down. Easily shoots minute of deer with any load I run through it. I wouldnt hesitate to pick it up. One piece of advice though, NO lube of any sort in the gas system whatsoever-keep it dry.
    There was a Model 4 that came after the 7400 or around the same time. The 742's I used were reliable and accurate 1 1/2" on the average some worse some MUCH better. When loading these rifles always let the bolt slam home from full open position, it has to have the momentum to rotate and lock the bolt. Small base reloading dies are in order and all powders are not compatable with this gas system. IMR 4320 is an excellent choice. Other than the recoil difference I've not noticed any problems with any weight bullets (I've only shot bullets up to 180 grns). ENJOY !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

OOPS!!! Forgot about the 4........

Well guys the first deal on the 7400 fell through, but I now have my sights on a 742 for (get this) free, nada, no denaro. I saw that CDNN had 10 rnd mags for these also. Its gona be a good week .

Thanx again for all the input, much apreciated.
    2Dawgs.

I figured I'd add in some of my.02
    I have the carbine 7400 in 30.06 and I actually considered selling it as I want to go to all bolt actions for my big game guns, but that darn thing is so handy I just have to keep it. I have harvested 4 Mule Deer with 150gr Winchester Supreeme ballistic tips and one elk in Colorado with same round only 180gr. All were one shot kills and this happened to be the rifle I always grabbed when heading out of the cabin. All but one shot was 100yds or less, one mule deer shot with irons was right at 150yds.
    I keep mine as clean as can be and have shot over 200rnds through it with only one empty case hanging up. I bought mine new and it seems to work just fine, it's not a tack driver by any means, but good enough for hunting under 150yds, at least for me. I'm going to keep mine as a canoe/snow machine gun, or a loaner for my dad when he comes up.
    btw, if your deal falls through, let me know... I have a 742 Woodsmaster in .308 with an extra 10rnd steel Triple K mag, sling and Burris 3X9 I'd let go pretty cheap.

Mountaintrekker

I have a 742 in 30-06 circa 1965 and I am trying to increase the accuracy. Mostly I am cleaning it in hopes that 40 years of neglect can be solved with solvents. I LOVE shooting it. It was my primary gun for a while, but it did not shoot straight enough, so I went to a bolt action rifle. I brought it out of the safe just a few months ago and fell in love with it again. It just feels good, even with the 73 pound or so of trigger pull. I had such a good time with it that I went and bought the new 750 in 35 Whelen. I assume the accuracy business will be improved in the last 40 years.

I have heard the 742's would wear out someplace and it was not fixable. The 7400's change the bolt locking mechanism to fix that problem and increase the manufacturing tolerances for the bolt. Look inside a 7400/750 and it will look a bit different than the 742/740. The 750 is much the same gun as the 7400 except they changed the gas system a bit.

Everyone who shoots my 742 really likes how it feels. They like the lower recoil. They seem to have issues with the bolts slide and the clip sometimes. Other posts here are right in saying there is a bit of a learning curve to chambering your first round. Don't be wimpy about pulling the bolt back, let it rip.

I hope to give a report on how my new gun shoots when I actually find time to get to the range. I am also anxious to chrony the .358 bullet from this gun and the .30 bullet from the other and compare notes.

Stay tuned....