Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 for sheep and goats?????

Default 7mm-08 for sheep and goats?????

I've been looking at ultralight weight sheep/goat rifles. One I've been looking at is the Kimber M84 Montana. I'm not interested in info on Kimbers good or bad. I'm aware of both. What I need is input on the two calibres they come in that seem the most likely. 7mm-08 and .308win. So what do you think for sheep and goat hunting. I know sheep aren't tough, but should I be worried about the range on these calibres? I'm leaning toward the 7mm-08 as it might be woman friendly for someday down the road. Thoughts???? Has anyone used these on sheep and goats? Thanks.

Brett

I've not used them on sheep or goats but I have used them both on a variety of other similar sized game.I'd point out that hordes of both species have been taken by calibers with very similar ballistics- ie. 7x57, .270, 30-06, etc. as well as those calibers in particular- so in that regard I'd have no reservations on a sheep at all. Goats have a reputation of being a fair but tougher so I'll let someone else chime on that one as I have little experience with goats.

A flyweight 7-08 launching a long, stable heavy for caliber bullet has a whole lot going for it in my opinion as does a .308 shooting 150 or 165 Light mag ammunition. I shot several deer with a 7-08 using Remington's original 140gr Corelokt way back when and was very happy with it. Today's loads are only improved from that. I still use the .308 and light mag ammo a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I've been looking at ultralight weight sheep/goat rifles. One I've been looking at is the Kimber M84 Montana. I'm not interested in info on Kimbers good or bad. I'm aware of both. What I need is input on the two calibres they come in that seem the most likely. 7mm-08 and .308win. So what do you think for sheep and goat hunting. I know sheep aren't tough, but should I be worried about the range on these calibres? I'm leaning toward the 7mm-08 as it might be woman friendly for someday down the road. Thoughts???? Has anyone used these on sheep and goats? Thanks.

Brett
    hi brett; i have shot a "pile of deer" with both calibers running from medium size to large, and can't tell the difference. since they are from the same case, and generally the same velocity/energy either should fill your needs.

as an aside, my kimber montana .308 is very accurate, and shoots well with a sling. my remington titanium 7-08 is a pleasure to carry and shoot, and i like the trigger better.

happy trails.
    jh

The only reason we don't have a house full of 7-08's is the house full of 7x57's we already own. It's been a favorite with my wife and daughters for 30 years, and I have to admit my own fondness. The 7-08 is slightly improved over most 7x57 loads, necessary or not. But that's not faint praise. You'll be darned proud of the performance right along with the handling.

Brett,

I grew up shooting a Remington Model 7 in .308. Has no doubt taken more game then all my other rifles combined. Anyways, recently my wife took over that gun and I even had the LOP shortend on a model 7 to fit her small frame and had a limbsaver recoil pad installed. She loves it and I'd say a .308 is very woman friendly. So much in fact that she can shoot it just fine, but with the short LOP I know get scope bit on what used to be my favorite rifle.

So is a guy to do?? Oh thats right go buy a Kimber Montana 84M in .308. They way we can share ammo. Also it just so happens that the Motana in .308 only was like 5#2oz and all up with full magazine, scope, and sling is just a hair over 6#s which is less than the Montana 8400 in 300WSM started at without scope/sling/or ammo.

Personally I think the .308 is a little better all round gun. I realize thats not what you are looking for as you already have a 325 and a 375. However, I have taken a couple grizz with my .308 no problem and the little extra diameter size gives me a little more confidence. However, there are some that I grew up with that think you are overgunned as they shoot grizz with a .243. My dad was able to do a one shot drop on a goat this year and all 4 moose that have been shot with that little model 7 were dropped in one shot as well. Granted as you know its all where you hit them, but I am partial to the 308 as its what I grew up with and myself, my wife, and my father all shoot the same round so I also like that simplicity. Granted had the 7-08 been more popular 13 years ago when I get that Model 7 I'd had probably started out with that round. I believe the 308 is stil a bit more common to find, but it sounds like you reload so that really isn't an issue anyways.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. But if we were to go hunting and you chose the 7-08 how am I supposed to talk you into carrying enough ammo for the both of us?? Brett, of course you need to bring 30 rounds of ammo for this hunt (as I chuck the extra rounds out of my pack.)

The 7mm-08 is a super round for sheep and i'm sure it will dump a goat just as easily. My wife has been carrying a Kimber 84M Classic for the last 2 seasons, haven't killed a sheep with it yet but I have no doubt that it can do the job quite easily as long as she does her part. My best guess on the weight of her rifle is probably around 6 lbs all up. This is going to be my next rifle when I get one, except mine will be a Montana version and will have a little custom work done to it. Will be nice having to carry just one caliber of bullets for the both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Will be nice having to carry just one caliber of bullets for the both of us.
    I hear ya there. Which is why my Montana is in .308 vs. 7-08. Had my wife been shooting that caliber I would have got the Montana in the same caliber as well. I didn't realize the Kimber Classic was the same weight as the Montana. As my Montana is 6.1 pounds all up with 4 in the mag. Seems to me you might be able to save some $$$ by getting the Classic and then getting is duracoated. Just trying to brainstorm with my bro on what colors to use and what patterns to paint on my Kimber Montana. Just trying to get rid of the shine of the SS mainly as I don't want it to glissen in the sun too much.

Take it to Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms and have him bead blast it, he did that to my Marlin and I like the way it looks without all that shineyness to it. You thinking about painting the stock or the metal itself or the whole rifle?

Brett,

Have you considered a 270 wsm for sheep and goats? I think a light weight 270 wsm would be a great sheep and goat gun. The recoil on mine is minimal. The trajectories for this set up are remakably good. A guy I know who has shot over 15 sheep and he really likes his 270 wsm.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Take it to Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms and have him bead blast it, he did that to my Marlin and I like the way it looks without all that shineyness to it. You thinking about painting the stock or the metal itself or the whole rifle?
    Thinking of doing the whole thing. Lock,stock, barrel, & scope. Working on some slate greys and light browns right now. I just know that I'll always find such that its either in my pack or my hands, I won't dare set it down for fear of losing it. Plus I know a guy that does a SEMI decent job on duracoating and I get the family discount.

If you limit your hunting to sheep/goats and smaller I would seriously look at the .260 chambering, which is available in the Montana. With premium bullets it's a jewel. I've taken many animals up to and included elk with the .308 and have no complaints. I've worn out a few 7-08 barrels in rifle competition and figured out it was a bit heavy for the task, the .260 just plain out does it for trajectory, wind drift and knock down. If you hadn't mentioned the future partner thing I would endorse the .280 AI or .270 WSM

I have never taken an animal with a .260 but have downed a few with it's balistically similar great grandpa, the 6.5x55 and it has a stellar historical record on game animals.

Just my 1-1/2 cents worth, money back if you're not satisfied.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

I'm with KClark, if it's a sheep/goat gun and not for anything else, get it in .260. The BC on 6.5 bullets are amazing, especially the 140's. It's the gun I'm going to get my daughter if/when she starts hunting.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If you are a handloader all three (260, 7mm-08, 308) are great cartridges. Each fills a bit different niche, but the differences are subtle. I would prefer the 7mm-08 to the 308 for hunting sheep and goats, but then I am a hair splitter on the ballistic differences in cartridges. For a non handloader the 308 is significantly the best choice. Selection and availability of the 308 is much more than the 7mm-08 or 260. The field performance of the three cartridges is difficult to recognize in 99% of all hunting situations. Choose your loads wisely and you'll have a great rifle/cartridge combo in the Kimber 308.
    Last edited by 1Cor15:19; 11-20-2009 at 13:19. Reason: grammar edit

I bought my Remington Ti in 7mm-08 specifically for a sheep hunt. I didn't get a chance to shoot a sheep with it, but I have bagged a moose and a couple of Sitka blacktails with it. I dig the 7mm-08, and when loaded with 120gr TSX's it crunches stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I've been looking at ultralight weight sheep/goat rifles. One I've been looking at is the Kimber M84 Montana. I'm not interested in info on Kimbers good or bad.
    Brett
    Brett, I know your not looking for Kimber info, but if you are interested in a light weight mountain rifle with a little more punch listen up.

There is a new Kimber due out in 2010. It is the 84L (L stands for long, 2" longer barrel than the 84M).

It will be chambered in the 30-06 family.
    30-06
    25-06
    280 AI

Weight is slightly more, but I have not seen any official specs yet should be real close.

I for one am very interested in this one, maybe wait and see how it turns out.

Just thought I'd let you know, I thought AK-Lanche/Akhunter would also be interested.

Default Kimber 84L

Yes that new Kimber will have a slightly longer receiver than the 84M to chamber the cartridges listed. The 84L is suppsed to be about 6 oz. heavier than the 84M which is 5# 2oz.. So..... as good as the .308, 7mm-08 are, the .270Win beats them by a wide margin. I am partial to that cartridge so I'll be getting at least one.

Default Good round

I bought my wife a 7mm-08 in a Rem model 7 from sugestions from this site, I liked it so much I took it this year on my sheep hunt, with a little begging of course. I shot a sheep at 295 yards verified before the shot with a Leica range finder with 140gr Barnes TSX. One shot and the sheep dropped in his tracks. Was a pass through behind the shoulder quartered away. The lungs and chest cavity were mush from the shock. I was hesitant to buy this caliber at first but after talking to many people on this site and talking with the wife she chose this caliber. I am a velocity guy that likes my .270 wsm and .264 win mag and so on, but after shooting the tame 7mm-08 I love it. The accuracy and light recoil of this round and the ability to hand load 120gr at 3000fps to 175gr at 2550fps is why I am purchasing this caliber as well for my TC Encore Pro Hunter.

got my eyes on a ed brown damara in 7mm-08. Love my 264 wm but after shoulder surgery, and lots of research, I don't think you can beat that round for most applications. A few more bucks (dollars not deers) and I will join the club of happy 7mm-08 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    There is a new Kimber due out in 2010. It is the 84L (L stands for long, 2" longer barrel than the 84M). It will be chambered in the 30-06 family.
    Oh Thanks dude... now it looks like I've bought another rifle. Any idea when they'll be available without going to the RMEF?

I've avoided the 8400 due to the chunky sizing for the WSM. The 84M is one of my all time favorite rifles and now I can get it in my other favorite flavor... the wife won't be happy.

But she'll get over it.

Sorry for the hijack Brett.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with either. But if we were to go hunting and you chose the 7-08 how am I supposed to talk you into carrying enough ammo for the both of us?? Brett, of course you need to bring 30 rounds of ammo for this hunt (as I chuck the extra rounds out of my pack.)
    Thanks. I'll consider that!

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast