Thread: Questions about buying a used Argo

Default Questions about buying a used Argo

I have been looking around and weighing the options of getting a pair of used 4 wheelers for the wife and I vs a used argo 8 wheeler, and I have to say that the Agro is winning. Some of my questions are-
    What are some of the issues that plague the argos? One thing I know of is the axles with shear pins.
    What year and models did that stop with?
    What to look for with a used one as far as normal wear and tear?
    Tell tale signs of neglect or abuse to stay away from?

I am looking into this for using all year round, just throw the wife and kid in and go. My son just turned 3, so a fourwheeler for him is out for quite some time, which makes the argo that much more attractive. From what I have heard they are pretty dependable machines if you keep up with the maintenance, but I just dont know a whole lot about them. Thanks in advance!!!

Default Just my two cents

Maybe someone on here who has an argo will let you test drive one with your wife and kid. Then go and test drive a Polaris Ranger. An argo is a bad *****, go anywhere, hunting rig. IMO not so much a family "let's go for a ride" rig. The argo is purpose built to go through or over just about anything. The price you pay for the argo's ability is sacrificed comfort/ride and they are slow compared to utv's. The Polaris Ranger has a bench sit which can sit 3 adults across comfortably and the newer efi models can be used year round. The argo barely has enough room for two adults up front let alone two adults and a growing child. Argo's are bumpy as heck. I've heard that with tracks it smooths the bumps out some, but basically you're talking about 8 wheels with no suspension. Every slight turn of the argo results in a side to side jerking action since you are braking one side and applying power to the opposite side.

From what you've stated it seems that your looking for an off-road vehicle that will allow you take the wife and kid along. Polaris Rangers are the only side by side with a bench seat - standard. However, if you're looking for the ultimate hunting rig and the wife and kid might be going along only once in a while then maybe the argo, but I would not get an argo if you're going to spend the majority of your time on established trails with the wife and kid as passengers.

Definitely find someone who will let you test drive an argo and take the wife with you. If she is down with the bumps and jerks associated with riding in and turning an argo then you're good to go.

Default Review this thread

Found this thread where some members who either own argos or have ridden in them comment pretty much the same thing that I just said.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67591

he's right, i worked on thrm for years and even had 2 of them, but i now ride in a rhino. i've had just about every kind of machine and the argo is soley a hunting rig. side by sides are much more family friendly and alot more fun.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by aknewbie View Post
    I have been looking around and weighing the options of getting a pair of used 4 wheelers for the wife and I vs a used argo 8 wheeler, and I have to say that the Agro is winning. Some of my questions are-
    What are some of the issues that plague the argos? One thing I know of is the axles with shear pins.
    What year and models did that stop with?
    What to look for with a used one as far as normal wear and tear?
    Tell tale signs of neglect or abuse to stay away from?

I am looking into this for using all year round, just throw the wife and kid in and go. My son just turned 3, so a fourwheeler for him is out for quite some time, which makes the argo that much more attractive. From what I have heard they are pretty dependable machines if you keep up with the maintenance, but I just dont know a whole lot about them. Thanks in advance!!!
    the biggest difference with an argo and a wheeler....

ARGO's Float. which is not bad to slowly CROSS a small pond or other...

however any size creek or river.. your wading it first then stringing a line then pulling it across all the while the wheelers are rolling by..

out side that.. an argo will go a lot of places the wheeler. ( including the Polaris thingy) won't go.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What you want to know? I use them in my business and I put more miles on them in 4 months then most people put on them in 4 years How many guys you know that wear out a set of tracks in 4 months. #1 stay away from the shear pin Argos. If it has happened it has happened to me I know what extra things to carry when out and about. Drop me a P.M or Give me a call 733-4995 I can talk faster then I can type .Just make sure its after 12:00 Vince and 375ultramag know I need my beauty sleep
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!