Thread: camping with trailer vs. pickup & camper

Default camping with trailer vs. pickup & camper

I have a lightweight fiberglass trailer that I pull with a disco land rover, but have thought of trading it all in for a 4x4 pickup and slide in camper before heading up north this coming june.

each has their advantages... unhook the trailer and have mobility, or the freedom of exploring more roads without a trailer.

anyone wish to offer any input of the advantages / disadvantages of either?

I enjoy a trailer.

Being able to unhitch and set up a base is great (I have a pair of little ones). That leaves the vehicle open for fishing, rafting, and lots of other things that end in -ing.

Having the extra storage space in the back is great for things like wood, inflatable raft/frame, coolers, etc...

You would not be able to get a trailer into some of the spots that you can get in with a cabover but you can't get into some of the spots in a cabover that you can with your tow vehicle.

The big drawback of having a trailer is that you can't tow a boat or quad trailer at the same time. Canoes and rafts are our current solution to that problem.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

sorry I found this subject discussed in another post. and just when I was feeling good about having a trailer....