Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Shelters what do you think???????

Default Ice Shelters what do you think???????

I thought I would start this and see what is the best Ice shelter is. Please give your thoughts and lets see where we get.

i got the 4 person sams club one, and i like it allot, comes with chairs too and folts up easy! no light gets thru the roof either.
    Semper Fi!

the eskimo pop ups (and other like designs by others) are hard to beat for the money.....that's why they're so popular...they are far from the toughest/sturdiest shelter but boy are they handy....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I saw a couple over at AIH on sale yesterday. One was the kind that folds up into a sled and had 3 seats(very handy) and one just folded up into a backback. The lesser was $199 I think. The other one was $300 something.
    That's what she said...

The Eskimo pop up shelters are the way to go. Light, packable, easy to set up, what more do you need? I have a Frabil speedshack and don't even use it anymore. It's bulky, slippery floor, short on space, and all at a premium price.

Eskimo is the way to go.

I like the Eskimo Quick Fish shelters. The only downside is the windows will crack and rip when it gets cold. I'm just going to fix them with clear tape.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Eskimo Quick fish

I have one and love it. I to have had issue with the windows. To correct the cracking I purchased a new set and when I take my shelter down I pull the windows (Velcro) out and insure that they remain flat until warm. I then place them back in the shelter and I have not had any issue since. This does require that you set the shelter up when you get home but I do it in my garage and allow to warm and dry. I think this will prolong the life of the equipment.

The best ice shelter IMO would be a hardside shack the is set up the way you like it. I take my windows out of my eskimo on the lake and put them back in the next time out.

Thumbs up Ditto on the Eskimo

It really depends on where how and what you are fishing for.
    I personally have a 3-man Eskimo with a sled base and tow hitch.
    If you usually use a snowmachine to access your favorite lake then one with a sled base is really nice. Holds all you gear too.
    If you primarily fish one local lake and it is legal (not on wildlife refuge etc.)
    a wood shanty can be nice and comfortable although hard to move when the fishing slows. Also you must keep a good eye on wood shacks and keep the corners blocked up to prevent them freezing down after a warm spell or overflow.
    For spearfishing for pike one with a large spear hole is a must and must block out 100% of all light. These can be portable or permanent (Any shanty left out all winter in the midwest is called a permanent shanty if you take it off daily it is usually called a portable).
    As for the window fix on your Eskimo go to the hardware store and buy some of the same clear plastic that is used on the windows originally. Get some sticky back velcro from the sewing store and make your own replacements. Eskimo shacks have all their windows velcrowed on.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I love my otter lodge...was cheaper to ship it up then buy it local...pretty sad! But the house itself is sweet!

I got a eskimo pop up today from Sportmans paid 209.99 and 79.99 for a heater buddy for the girlfreind to keep warm and me...

im a big fan of the eskimo quickfish 6....i hears theres an even bigger one now......i bring a scoop shovel with me to pack snow around the edges to hold in the heat and keep out the wind. they pretty good. also use it for camping in the summer. good to use for storing all your gear...or when it starts raining...... or its really windy.....

Release Lake Trout

Default Buddy heater

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I got a eskimo pop up today from Sportmans paid 209.99 and 79.99 for a heater buddy for the girlfreind to keep warm and me...
    Be carefull with the Buddy heater while transporting in cold temps. I had one in my sled and after a lenghty ride back into the lake my buddy heater was in a about fifty little pieces. I was able to buy most of the parts online and repair but it was worthless that day on the lake. The plastic got really brittle, the temps that day were below zero.
    AKhunter300 sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Muskie; 11-21-2009 at 12:25. Reason: forgot something

buddy heaters- dont try to switch 1lb propane tanks in -30 temps unless absolutely necessary....about burned up our shelter that way one nite....the tank wouldnt thread correctly. going to switch to 20# tank this year.

Release Lake Trout

There is nothing better than an Eskimo Qwikfish III and a lil buddy heater. Or two.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I browsed the portable shelters and wasnt too impressed with any of them. I like to snow machine to lakes that are off the beaten path. I prefer permanent shelters but here in AK.....a permanent limits me to road accessible lakes. I built a permanent that breaks down into it's own freight sled. Though it was a little spendy.....this thing allows me to snowmachine this "mini house" into any remote lake i fish....set it up.....and spend a few days really working the lake. Because it's big enough to sleep in....it allows me to get more fishing time in. I save gas money big time because i dont have to commute back to a lodge or a cabin. If the lake isnt productive enough......i can break it down and snowmachine to the next lake. It is fully insulated and only takes 3000 btu's to keep heated (mr. heater is too much with a low setting of 8,000 btu's). the floor system is insulated too. I used truckbed liner on the floor which is great for traction......not so good for fish guts/bait and burbot slime. My old fishing buddy and I would clear out the furniture in the morning and brush the floor with hot water and baking soda.......and brush it right out the door.....that seemed to work ok with the texture of the floor. The floor system has six interior holes that have their own covers that can be closed when not being used. the diameter of the holes are 14 inches....this allows the use of any auger inside the shack. There are four eyebolts at all four top corners of the shack.......i run ropes down to the ice and secure it with ice screws. There is a panoramic view on two sides of the shack.....courtesy of four 12inx18in. plexiglass windows on each side. If that wasnt enough........there are also two roof windows. The rear of the custom freight sled has an attachment point where you can hook up the icehouse and pull it to other locations while it is erected. I fish for food......and unfortunatley....the road accessible lakes have anemic bag limits that IMO........are a waste of gas money to get to.....only to come home with a couple fish. Depending on what kind of fishing you do......this type of shack may not even be needed.

Default mainer_in_ak

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup, do you have any pics you could post?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...248#post583248

there are better pics posted.....but i posted a long time ago. this pic doesnt show the freight sled built for the house either. this was the second trip of the house too.....so it wasn't completely finished....it was a test run. we still limited out on burbot though.

Default Ice shelter

What's the problem of designing the shelter? If you know what you want, why not design something you are comfortable with, especially if you have the conditions and the resources to assemble it?
    I have designed and built my own tent, I use in the mountains.
    You are in a better position to expiriment with the options and materials,I know if I were there I'd enjoy the challange.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default I've got a quickfish 3

Personally, I'm not totally sold on the bigger shelters. Mostly because I don't like to fish that many lines that close together.

Last year I cut the bottom out of a dome tent. It was too short, but kept my kid warm. The quickfish is great. I might go with something built into a sled if I had a snowmachine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast