Thread: whats the chance of running into bears

Default whats the chance of running into bears

I'm going deer hunting out of port lions 2nd week of december, mostly boat and stalk, and I want to use my 264 win mag.. I have a 340 wby. but do I really need it this time of year?

Default Go forth and kill things

Dude....I'll go kill a Brownie with that 264 any day.

Go forth and kill things.

I'd be more worried about boat stuff and clothing.

thanx for the confidense, after running into a 10 footer at my bait this summer, it was looking like I would need a 10,000 win mag! Seriously, I just had shoulder surgery in sept. and am just not up to 100% to get thumped by my lovely 340.

Funny you ask this as I am sitting watching a brownie across the bay as we speak. Looks like an old boar, hes just milling around on down the beach. I have cut a track here and there in the snow in some areas of the bay, but most are up high sleeping.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Default Port Lions

Well, I dont know about this time of year, but that area has TONS of bears. And they can be a problem as they are used to people and can try to take your deer. We stayed in a cabin out of Port Lions and the prior hunters had some bears that were trying to get into the cabin while they were sleeping and also took most of their deer. Another suggestion is if you have to take the smaller gun hunt with someone else which is a good idea anyway...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

hunting with family, father in law says hes never had a bear problem this time of year but brother in law is still bringing 375. Were not camping out and hanging meat in the woods, so that should be a plus. I think ill bring the 340 just in case we split up at some point.

I just returned from Port lions and only cut two sets of tracks when we were hunting for a bear. In two weeks we didnt see one. We stayed in tent with 12 deer in a pole near camp too. I think the bears are all up high or near the salmon holes. Hope this helps..

I think if your willing to use the .340 if you split up, then might as well use it for the whole hunt.

When choosing between two rifles, always bring the one you can place a shot with best.

Bring lots of ammo.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Pack the Cannon

Because 'big fuzzies' can wake up and walk around at any time of the winter season, I suggest you pack the cannon. Sure - at this time they are supposed to be asleep but just because you don't cut or see tracks doesn't mean you may not be walking up to one that may be very interested in you.

I have acquaintances who were chased off the beach and back into their skiff by a 'friendly' brownie in Pybus just after Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. Sounded like a pretty ornery bear. In different years I have run into wide-awake bears in Freshwater Bay by Pavlof Harbor, and in Appleton Cove and Rodman Bay in Peril Strait after Thanksgiving. The last two were within 100 feet of me and didn't scent me or know I was even there. The last time a pile of bear crap filled with deer hair on a patch of ice on an animal trail was my first signal that I better take a real close look at my surroundings.

Each instance has scared the crap out of me and completely ruined my attention to deer hunting for that day! I deliberately stay out of the woods until late in the season when the leaves are gone and visibility is better just because of situations like that. Since the 1960s I have packed a .338 - which is 'way more power than is necessary for our deer but may even the odds somewhat if I encounter a large carnivore.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Talking Canon NOT needed!

Don't bother bringing the extra weight. If you see a bear, chances are you won't have a problem. .264 is good enough. I mean he's not looking at you, more then likely curious about what you got. And just chuck it to him. I mean deer meat. Anyways, hope all goes well. And post PICS and a report!

Default Ill bring my wife for protection

If we see a brownie i'll just have my wife stick an arrow in him, that will save ammo. Anyway, first deer down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    If we see a brownie i'll just have my wife stick an arrow in him, that will save ammo. Anyway, first deer down.
    Nice to know that you have someone who can take care of you in the woods. Seriously though, nice buck.

Default Columbian

What is that....Columbian BT? I don't think it's Sitka, Mule, or WT.

It's a blacktail, don't know what kind. Weare currently hunting southeast near the border.

Once again my trusty .44 is on my hip. When out im out hunting..