Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alaska trails... dog friendly?

Default alaska trails... dog friendly?

sorry if this has been posted before, and yes, it might be a stupid question, but here in the lower states, no dogs allowed on trails. same in alaska?

Default dogs

Seams to me, most trails around southcentral that I've been on have had plenty of dog traffic. There might be some out there that don't allow dogs, but I have a feeling that those are few and far between. Can't say for sure about the trails in other parts of the state. I have taken my new pup on a few here in town (Anchorage) and haven't had any problems other that dog owners who don't know how to keep there dogs on a leash.
    Hope this helps!

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMarc View Post
    Seams to me, most trails around southcentral that I've been on have had plenty of dog traffic. There might be some out there that don't allow dogs, but I have a feeling that those are few and far between. Can't say for sure about the trails in other parts of the state. I have taken my new pup on a few here in town (Anchorage) and haven't had any problems other that dog owners who don't know how to keep there dogs on a leash.
    Hope this helps!

FM
    that's good news. leash isn't any problem. here in california, no dogs on trails, no dogs on beach, etc. I always have a few mutt mitts for her *****...

no problems with dogs up here. they just banned a whole of energy consuming TVs in CA, so that doesn't surprise me.

please use a leash. i have almost shot/sprayed two dogs that ran up from their owners and didn't look all that nice, were big, and i had children walking with me.

Default Mostly

Dogs are welcome on most trails, but there are some where they are not, but even that is only seasonal.

In Anchorage, the only trails closed to dogs are the ones that are "ski only in winter". These are only closed to dogs during the winter (when the trails are groomed for skiing, so no set dates). This includes pretty much all the lighted ski trails and some that are not lighted. There are projects going on to help mark these a bit better, but pretty much, if you see a trail that is well groomed for skiing and no dog tracks visible, odds are it is closed to dog use. The groomed trails that are open to dogs, known generally as the "multi-use trails", get a lot of traffic, so it is usually fairly easy to tell that they are multi-use.

There are similar restrictions for some trails in Fairbanks and Soldotna.

The regular hiking trails, such as up in the Chugach Mountains, are typically open to dogs. As others have said, leashes are usually a good idea. In winter, a lot of people are ski-joring on the multi-use trails and a loose dog that isn't under control can cause issues. There are a lot of people who don't leash there dogs here, so you will run into that as well and having your dog on a leash will help you keep it from getting into a fight with someone else's that is out of control.

If you have queestions about specific areas, toss them up here and myself or someone else can surely let you know about that location.

that's good to know about dogs in Alaska, and yes, I keep my dog on a leash most of the time, but next to a river she's like an acrobat... and in the boonies she is so busy investigating every scent! I hate to restrict her all the time. and she's well capable of taking care of herself... she's a catahoula!

keep them on a leash.. pls..pls..pls..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    keep them on a leash.. pls..pls..pls..
    Excellent recommendation. For a dog that loves to run and "investigate every scent" the owner should be aware that there are quite a few trappers up here and many of these trails run through areas that are open to trapping during the winter, so a wondering dog may get themselves into real trouble.

my pup got shook like a rag doll by an off leash dog not too long ago...it was a pretty crappy experience for my wife, kids, and dog....If I was closer to the action I probably would have hurt the other dog very badly....which is sad because it was the dipsh*t owners fault, not the dogs....but the experience now has me very cautious around other dogs...the first sign of aggression from an unleashed dog around me will end badly for the dog....I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way....

luckily, most dog aren't that aggressive and most owners aren't dipsh*ts
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    ...the first sign of aggression from an unleashed dog around me will end badly for the dog....I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way....
    no, you are spot on !!! either covered in pepper spray or dead with a .44, which ever I am carrying at the time. I am comfortable around dogs, but when my children are with me, no chances are taken.

Wow. Sensitive group and understandably so, the whole ragdoll conflict. But, where can we let our dog run free, if not on the backcountry trails?

Default Dogs on trails

Dogs are welcome on trails almost everywhere in the state, but they are required to be under control or on a leash, so letting them run [in the backcountry] will probably cause problems! There are a lot of people in [the backcounrty] and not all will deal with an unknown dog in a manner you would like.Since my children are grown I'm more tolerant, as long as I've got my hand on pepper spray or my 44. There is also the issue of people that have been trapping that same area for 30 years or more,an feel they should be able to continue [they probably put the trail in your walking on] so yes your dog is welcome as long as he and your are good citizens respect others and obay the laws of the land.

i understand folks that want to let their dogs "run free", but dog's rights for "freedom of running free" end where those of me and my family begin. i would say less than 25% of the time, the dog stays with the owner, and the rest of the time they see something "shiny" (ie a hiker coming up) and run up ahead with an owner that doesn't know how to restrain their dog. all i hear is "don't worry, he's a good dog". yeah, that was my first thought when i saw a 120 lb dog barreling down on my 5 and 3 year old.

no one on the trail knows what a dog's temperament is like, nice and will lick you to death or rough and growls at stangers. Even a dog that licks you to death from being very happy can be intimidating to a child. Some adults have actually been attacked by dogs in the past and would rather not deal with that situation again.

your back yard, a friend's backyard, a dog park, those are places to let your dog run free. when i'm on a hike with my 6 year old, I shouldn't have to pull my daughter behind me and try and guess what an on coming and running dog's temperament is going to be.

very sensitive when it comes down to my daughters or a random dog

lots of good advice here, thanks much. only when there are no other people around would I let her frolic next to a river or lake. she is well behaved... she stays within my voice control at all times, doubtful she would wander so far away as to get in a trap. at least I know dogs are not barred from being on trails like they are here in Arnoldland...

Default You don't have to let it wander far

before it is in trapping country in winter here. Trappers can set up to trails (some setbacks in parks) edge and, if it is their trail, can set in the trail. 99% of the time, if your dog ends up in a trap - it is your fault period.
    You may not see anyone else around when you let you pup go play by the water but we don't have cleared parkland either.
    Control your dog, leash or hand in it's collar, when we pass on a trail and we will have no problems. Telling me it is a good dog and letting it run will only have a bad (for it and you) ending.
    Don't mean to seem harsh, but that is just the way it is.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by akfaller View Post
    Wow. Sensitive group and understandably so, the whole ragdoll conflict. But, where can we let our dog run free, if not on the backcountry trails?
    If you care about your dogs, they shouldn't be allowed to run free, there is just too much that can happen. Not only to your dog, but what your dog might to do someone else's dog or wildlife.

I have nine dogs and when they are not at home they are NEVER off leash, I care about my dogs too much to get into the fairydom of "oh my dog should be able to run FREE!! as their wild cousins". To me that's an irresponsible dog owner that doesn't need a dog! Sorry if I'm coming across strongly, but I've heard and seen of too many 'free' dogs getting themselves and others into trouble or something more serious.

I've never had that problem with my dogs on leash as that's what they know and they are quite happy with it. The ONLY time they aren't on a leash is when they're hooked to a freight sled helping me haul wood, water and garbage.
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

letting it run will only have a bad (for it and you) ending.
    as long as I've got my hand on pepper spray or my 44
    either covered in pepper spray or dead with a .44, which ever I am carrying at the time
    i have almost shot/sprayed two dogs
    I cannot believe this group and all of your threats. A born and raised Alaskan and I am proud of it, but hearing you all proudly boast of hosing a dog with pepper spray or threatening to blast one with a .44 Magnum (which, I too am a proud owner of a S&W 329 PD, but I carry it for bears rather than an off the leash K-9) shames me. We Alaskan's are proud of our gun rights, but do we need to flaunt it?

I completely understand being angered towards irresponsible dog-owners. It frustrates me too. Not keeping your dog on a leash until it is properly trained, is like letting your child walk freely by a busy road. I am guilty of letting my dog run prematurely and she came back with a face full of quills. She is trained now, but I still wait for the right situation or whenever I go to Fairyland to let her off the leash.

So, jackotheroad I hope you learned a bit from this thread that you started. Before you take your dog on the trail: grab your can of dog spray and/or your .44 Mag, your leash and your trained dog (which might as well be a bear) and go for a leisurely walk, oh and watch out for the traps. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by akfaller View Post
    I cannot believe this group and all of your threats. A born and raised Alaskan and I am proud of it, but hearing you all proudly boast of hosing a dog with pepper spray or threatening to blast one with a .44 Magnum (which, I too am a proud owner of a S&W 329 PD, but I carry it for bears rather than an off the leash K-9) shames me. We Alaskan's are proud of our gun rights, but do we need to flaunt it?

I completely understand being angered towards irresponsible dog-owners. It frustrates me too. Not keeping your dog on a leash until it is properly trained, is like letting your child walk freely by a busy road. I am guilty of letting my dog run prematurely and she came back with a face full of quills. She is trained now, but I still wait for the right situation or whenever I go to Fairyland to let her off the leash.

So, jackotheroad I hope you learned a bit from this thread that you started. Before you take your dog on the trail: grab your can of dog spray and/or your .44 Mag, your leash and your trained dog (which might as well be a bear) and go for a leisurely walk, oh and watch out for the traps. Cheers!
    what would you do if you had your kids out and you confront an aggressive dog/dogs?...

what would you do if an aggressive dog attacked your pup or kids?...how far would you take it?...would you smack him on the azz and say "bad dog" or would you stop the problem?

who would you blame if your pup got caught in a conibear and died?

I am not being a smartazz, these are genuine questions that I am curious to hear answers to....My opinion is set on one bad incident....I'd like to hear justifications for others' position..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default I have to admit

You guys are a little harsh. On of the reasons I love AK is that it's a dog friendly place. For crying out loud, we host the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest where the dogs are the superstars! Every weekend I possibly can I head into the woods with my dogs off leash and hunt any kind of bird that is I can find and is in season. The only problem Ive ever had is having my hunting partner try to sneak my GSP into his truck at the end of the day because she helped him limit out on Ptarmigan. Are my dogs on a leash in public places? Yes. Are they under my control at all times? Yes. Are they aggressive? No. But I can't imagine trying to hunt birds with a leash on a dog, you guys are nuts! So to put it bluntly go where all these pepper spray gun toting dog haters aren't and enjoy your dog. Its a big state. Use some common sense and protect your dog and yourself and you will have no trouble. In the winter learn how to spot a trapline. Most of the time they are marked but not always, if you run into a line just go another way. Learn how to release you dog from traps just in case.

Now Im going to go put my dogs outside without leashes and without a yard! Hurry and get over here with your antidog arsenal!

There is no justification in letting a dog run off leash UNLESS it is a hunting dog and you ARE hunting! If an aggressive dog comes toward my dog, I take care of the situation as best I can, calmly and quietly at first and if that doesn't work, well the other dog will NOT be hurting MY dog.

Akfaller, is your dog completely trained in all situations? I think not, you do not know what you dog will do in EVERY given situation. Friends of ours in the community thought their dog was very well trained (10 years old trained!) and now she is missing for 2 weeks because of running after a wild animal.

I would much rather have a 15 year old dog on a leash at my side and coming home with me, than a 10 year old dog that's 'running FREE!' and now lost, probably dead.

It's a touchy situation with a LOT of people, but I care more about my dogs than I do about those other people. My dogs live with me, are my companions, my jokers and my helpers, the other people aren't.

byrd_hntr you had to be posting the same time I did. Yup, we're a dog friendly state for the most part, but you DO have hunting dogs and as you said, if you're hunting, so be it, generally you aren't around a ton of other people then and it's more appropriate. However, you can't use sled dogs as an excuse to run off leash, if you've ever seen sled dogs with no musher on the sled, they are the poster children FOR leashes...lol

There's something else too, I own a small general store, I LIVE here with my nine dogs, my work AND my personal life are here. I don't much appreciate it when people think that they can just let their dogs run FREE! to crap all over my personal yard where MY dogs are. That's just rude and you'd be AMAZED at how many people do it. And there's a major highway there with LOTS of traffic... they go about 80mph past here.

Just the other day a woman gets out of her car and let's her little foo-foo dog out and leaves it outside LOOSE and comes in the store. I told her that her dog would go to my house, please put it up in the car or leash it.... Oh no he won't, he'll wait for me!! And off she runs to the bathroom... guess where the dog went? So, you know what your dog's gonna do? I have proof on a weekly basis that I know better than you where your dog is gonna go!! Not being mean, just facts from six years experience.
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast