Thread: coyote skinning advice?

Default coyote skinning advice?

anyone got some tricks or techniques for skinning coyotes & small game, do you split the tails or try to strip them out....heads? any info appreciated...thanks

Unless you want the hair to slip, you need to pull that tail bone out. You can buy commercial splitters, or use a pair of pliers. I've done both. Here's a link that shows a 'yote being skinned and he uses pliers. I've never split the lips or turned the ears unless I want to keep the skin for my own use.
    http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?t=65281

If I was that dude I'd be wearing surgical gloves for sure.

If you want to keep the hides, personally, I'd skin it with the feet attached.

I strip my tails, then split them with a gut hook type of knife. just be very careful when you get to the tip so you don't pop the whole thing off. I go slow and stop right before I get to the tip.

Default Carpet Blade

A carpet blade in a box knife works real nice. You can split everything from weasel to wolf. Use your finger nails on the tip. I agree with above. I always skin the feet out. You will get a better price from the average buyer. It doesn't make much difference if you sell to a fur buyer. Hanging on your wall looks better with feet on.

thanks guys...first one got a few holes in it, 2nd one is better. they'll be for myself, just something to hang here or there