Thread: Generator Shed

Default Generator Shed

Anyone have any good ideas or tips for a generator shed? Once we got utility power to our place, I rigged down the Kubota generator, inverter and battery bank. I was thinking of selling it all but given the gas situation in the Inlet now, I am thinking having an alternative source of power and the ability to heat with wood might be a real good idea in a couple of years.

To get my generator back on line, I need to build a shed for it. I am thinking of something on the order of 5' wide by 3' deep and probably 4' tall with swing open doors on the front and a slant roof. I will need to figure out a way for the metal exhaust hose to exit without running the risk of burning it down. Any overall thoughts or ideas?

I will also need to wire everything back up. The transfer switch is already installed but I will probably hire an electrician to connect the generator in and to re-install the inverter. Anyone out there with the necessary skills that would like to help out? If so, please PM me.

Fairbanks, AK

Wouldn't a simple metal plate in the wall to run the exhaust tube work?
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Some things to keep in mind. You need enough room to work around the unit, or access doors on all four sides. The end of the generator I though I would never need access to, turned out to be where the "poles" were for "Re-Exciting" the unit. Need access to oil filter, drain plug, fuel filters, coolant drain, etc.. You might also think of a larger fuel tank mounted above the unit on the second floor of the 5'X7' generator building. I have never found myself saying, "man I sure built that building way too big."
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."