Thread: steel reclaim target

Default steel reclaim target

I started pouring my own pistol boolitz this year and am thinking that I want to make a target of some kind to "catch" the lead so that I can cast it again.

Has anyone made a steel target to do this - or any other easier kind of target?

I thought about using phone books and such - but they get wet and I imagine digging them out would be difficult.

Here's a 14 page post from the Cast Boolits forum entitled "Bullet Trap Ideas For Recyceling Lead". Should be able to find some ideas there.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I use a 5 gallon bucket of sand. Line it on the side toward you with a piece of truck inner tube and there's almost no leakage. It's stopped everything I've shot at it, plus it's bunches easier to screen 5 gallons through 1/4" hardware cloth than the contents of larger containers.

I once popped it a couple of times at 50 yards with 30-06 180 grain factory loads, and they didn't even make it half way through. Guess that's why the military uses sandbags, eh?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

BrownBear:
    That'sa nother idea of yourn, I hope to try some day.

I know you've posted about this before. I can't recall why the inner tube.

Was it to prevent ricochet??

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The inner tube only gets little tiny holes in it, even with 75 caliber round balls. The buckets would leak empty with the first shot or two if you didn't have the inner tube on the inside toward the bullet holes.

No notion of ricochets. I've lost the sand when a shot got so far to the side that it cut a big groove where there was no inner tube (I prefer square buckets to round, when I can find them), but no inclination to ricochet, and no more leakage once I started using a larger piece of inner tube and covered the inside of the front and both sides.

Because of the potential for misses and my initial fear of ricochets, especially from high shots, I do put the bucket in front of my usual safe backstop. A high shot with a large caliber bullet does blow a lot of sand straight up in the air, but the bullets tend to go mostly straight up if the shot is high enough to deflect. We have found most of them laying on the ground within 10 feet behind the bucket.

The price of lead these days, it's sure good incentive to keep all your shots on the bucket!

Default Snail Traps

The bucket of sand sounds like a great field expedient method. And fairly portable.

If you're a welder and have the luxery of a fixed range, a great style of trap is the "snail trap". Low maintenance and no emptying or filtering when you're done. Start with a hunk of extra strong pipe at least a foot in diameter. Cut it to the width you want for your trap and then cut it in half so you've got 2 half-pipes. Offset them by about an inch and make 2 end caps that will hold them in that configuration. Weld them on so you now have a capped pipe with an offset gap on top and bottom. Fashion 4 deflector plates for the front that will direct all shots into the top pipe gap and weld all that together. The pipe will need some legs to stand on and hold the whole contraption level and you'll need a tray under the pipe to catch the lead.

When a bullet enters the deflector cone at the front, they are directed into the pipe. In the pipe they will follow the curve for a few laps until they've lost all their energy. Gravity has them settling at the bottom of the pipe where the bottom gap lets the bullets fall out into your tray.

This is used in large commercial operations and they usually run fluid through the trap to keep dust down and help wash the lead out through the bottom tray to a single collection point. But the concept works very well on a small scale too (I built a very small one out of 8" pipe that is only about 4" wide to use as a desktop clearing barrel). It's just going to be kinda heavy as far as moving around, but if you have it at a fixed range on your property then it's the cat's meow.

Here's some pictures of a commercial version so you can see how it functions...

http://www.snailtraps.com/

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default bucket

I am going to go with the bucket plan....easier and cheaper than putting a steel trap together....

Thanks.