Thread: Opinions needed

Default Opinions needed

Looking at buying a 2001 Skidoo Grand Touring. Plan is to use it on a short (3 mile) somewhat winding trail to a cabin, then longer distance swamp/trail cruising. No plans for conquering mountains. Has a 136" track, 2 up, lots of bells and whistles, low miles. One worry is that I think its a pretty heavy machine

Any opinions on reliability? Ability to pull cabin supplies in a small sled? Thanks

All depends on the engine size. They made a fan 500, a 600 twin, 700 twin and 800 triple. The 5, 6, and 700 are all fantastic engines. I'd steer clear of the tripple in your case. The ZX chasis that the G.T. used is also good. For your use I think the sled would work fine. You'll probably end up breaking the mirrors off, but that's about it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've had the 440 and 500 Touring 2000, (not Grand.) Both were excellent machines and never had any engine troubles or any other issues. Should be able to pull sleds with no problems, I used mine for ice fishing and would pull a sled with everyones gear with ease.

Thumbs down Grand Touring

I've got a 94 Grand touring 580 my dad gave me a few years ago. He has owned it since new. The main reason he gave it to me was he doesn't ride anymore and really just bought it for trail riding in MN shortly before moving to AK. I was letting my friends ride it on ice fishing trips as I have a 08 Scandic tundra 550F and a 99 Tundra 2.
    the Grand touring is a really heavy sled and best left on the trails. You might get better off trail performance if you replaced the trail track with a more aggressive one.
    Have had it stuck a few times and it was all we could do to get it out.
    Unless I was sticking exclusively to packed trails I would think long and hard
    before buying one.
    They are nice on the trails as they come fully loaded. Just not a real good Alaska sled.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The 2001 Grand Touring is a whole different critter than the '94 F chassis sled.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm with kasilofchrisn on this one, the grand touring is a trail cruiser heavy, comfy and ideally suited to what it was designed for....... leisure cruising. If all I planed on doing with it was fishing well used lakes and riding a well established trail to the neighbors camp for drinks that would be my sled. Braking trail with one, even one as short as 3 miles, is close to my idea of snowmachining hell.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.