Thread: Heading to Delta

Question Heading to Delta

Heading to Delta Friday night for Bison. Short trip; will be back Tuesday night. If anyone has any updates, it would be appreciated. Curious about current snow depth. Also wondering if anyone has stayed at Trophy Lodge. How was your stay?

Haven't seen any recent posts from Delta bison hunters. If you've been there lately, let me know things went for you.

I will post my trip when I return....hopefully with pictures!

Thanks

Default There about two weeks ago

Not sure the current snow dept, but I was there two weeks ago and you could still get every where you wanted to go in a truck. I spoke to the owner of Silver Fox and he mentioned that the number of hunter were down. His thoughts were that since you did not have to make the trip for the class this year, that most people were waiting for the later hunt, longer days and warmer to make the trip out.
    He thought that later Feb and March is probablly going to be pretty crowded.
    I was just out kicking around, but I saw plenty of sign and zero hunter. So! He may be on to something.
    I always say out at Silver Fox. $80 a night for full kitchen, bath and sauna is a great deal. I find their cabins clean and cosy. The location is real close to the hunting area too!

I've stayed at both Trophy and Silver Fox. For accomodations, I prefer Silver Fox.

There's about 6" of snow on the ground in town. Don't know what the drifts are like out there tho.

Quite a few less tags this year, 90 vs the normal of about 140, so there will be less hunters due to that as well. I'd guess that a couple dozen have already tagged out, and at least 10 or more might not even hunt, so there might be about 55 hunters left at this point and 4 months left in the season. We are planning a Saturday/Sunday trip down in early December, and might do a couple more of those if needed through the winter. If March rolls around and we still haven't filled the tag, we'll plan an extended hunt. For now with work schedules, we'll have to do the short trips.

Good luck Marlin!

Default Bison Hunt Video

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Quite a few less tags this year, 90 vs the normal of about 140, so there will be less hunters due to that as well. I'd guess that a couple dozen have already tagged out, and at least 10 or more might not even hunt, so there might be about 55 hunters left at this point and 4 months left in the season. We are planning a Saturday/Sunday trip down in early December, and might do a couple more of those if needed through the winter. If March rolls around and we still haven't filled the tag, we'll plan an extended hunt. For now with work schedules, we'll have to do the short trips.

Good luck Marlin!
    Jerod,
    I am hunting SD NE and Iowa over the next couple of weeks, but if you are still hunting over the 1st and would like to get your hunt on camera, I would be happy to come down a film it. I have hunted this hunt and know the drill. Pretty mean on the knife too :-)

Louis, I might take you up on that if our times match up. I think I spotted you at PBOC last night, are you over there now? I'd like to talk to you more about the filming. I got set up with some pretty decent equipment years ago, but it seems like my buddies are more intent just to hunt and not fart around with making movies.

We are planning on being down there at first light on the 5th and returning after dark on the 6th of December. We have a tract of land we are working that the guy generally doesn't allow hunting, but he's a long time friend of the family, so he gave us the go ahead. I think we are going to focus on his property and might do a drive through the public lands if things aren't looking good there.

Default Dec

I fly on the 5th to SD.
    I am here at PBOC but I leave this afternoon. I will be here the 2nd - 3rd than not returning until the 29th. But free as a bird after the 1st.
    I have some of the same issues with video. U really need to people working together on that. That's why most of my good video has someone else pulling the trigger. I get mine, I just don't get it on tape nearly as much
    Hey! I think one of the Goats we shot will go all time book. We are going to put the tape on him

Louis