Thread: dubbing brushes

Default dubbing brushes

Anybody making or using dubbing brushes for tying flies? I was looking for an easier way to tie popsicles, and one website I saw was using these dubbing brushes. I did some more research, and found many uses for them. I looked at a few different dubbing tables and machines, and found that there is one made for use with the nor vise. Anyone have any experience with this?

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I'm not all to familiar with what you're talking about but I do have dubbing cards..mainly for mixing dubbing.

They work great when trying to mix natural and synthetic together.

Do you have any of those links you mentioned?

Tradbow,
    A dubbing brush is like building a loop dubbing in advance and having a few knocked out so you can tie a few flies in a row with out having to dub for the fly at each setting. Usually when dubbing longer material like marabou or bunny and small copper wire is used so the twist wont come apart when the pressure is taken off the dubbing loop.

Hope this helps.

George

Default dubbing brush

Here is a video of a dubbing brush, and how it is made. There are a few different types of tables for making them, I even saw some motorized ones. I am looking at the one for the Nor-vise, but I couldn't find a video of it being used. It looks like a much easier way to tie flies that are made of palmered maribou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuKuJwWFns
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default I guess I am just old school

To a fault

Between wing burners, whip finish tools, and bubbing brushes I must have missed the boat.

I suppose they all have their purpose and for some people a required set of tools is not a bad thing and sorry for high-jacking the thread.

As long as you don't go spending your hard earned cash on a parachute tool I suppose it's all good.

I guess the reason I wrote something is I always try to avoid extra steps in tying and any time I have to add a tool to the equation I have slowed the process down that and I like the challange of the DIY gig.

BMR

neat system...it's been a long time since I remember seeing one but I have. Cant remember who it was, I think I still have that vid or rented it from Howie.

Looks like a neat thing I guess...depends on how many flies you can get out of it. It would definatly be a more durable fly to some extent with the hole body being wire, then a wire ribbing.

The tool I prefer is called" turbo dubbing twister" by siman ltd (czech republic). It was a little harder to find a replacement when someone stole ALL my tools one year.

Otherwise I direct dub and brush. I do not tie flies with the hole body being dubbed though. If you do I could see this tool coming into play.

The only ones I use are Puglisi's Anadromous Brush, though they make the brushes in a bunch of different "natural" colors, too.

I gotta say though, that I have no use for them as dubbing. Waaaaaay too wasteful by the time you trim and shape. Puglisi's brushes are made with twisted stainless wire, so get out the wire cutters and don't you dare use your tying scissors to cut it.

I use them as an alternative hackle on buggers, ESL, anything you'd usually palmer with a hackle. Use the purple or black Anadromous Brush and make ESL's, and you've got something special. The salmon think so too on overcast days!

Default Dubbing Spinner

I guess I haven't tied any flies that I felt called for a dubbing brush. For large flies, I usually just use chenille or leech yarn, etc. For smaller flies and wool heads, I like to use a loop and a dubbing spinner to make miniature versions of the dubbing brush, minus the wire. I can see some advantages to the brushes (durability, ability to mix and match to achieve any color imaginable, even for large flies) but like Moose, I already have a desk with too many tools. Thanks for the link though. I always enjoy seeing techniques I'm not familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    Here is a video of a dubbing brush, and how it is made. There are a few different types of tables for making them, I even saw some motorized ones. I am looking at the one for the Nor-vise, but I couldn't find a video of it being used. It looks like a much easier way to tie flies that are made of palmered maribou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuKuJwWFns
    The Nor-vise DVD is pretty good, but there isn't any dubbing brush instruction or info on youtube as you've discovered. I hope Norm comes back to GASS this year as he makes everything look easy. He also has been at the AK Fly Fishers meeting demonstrating the vise, so maybe you can catch him at one of these venues in the spring

Default Norvise DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    The Nor-vise DVD is pretty good, but there isn't any dubbing brush instruction or info on youtube as you've discovered. I hope Norm comes back to GASS this year as he makes everything look easy. He also has been at the AK Fly Fishers meeting demonstrating the vise, so maybe you can catch him at one of these venues in the spring
    I thought for sure I could find a video of his dubbing table online, but still no luck. I am going to make it out to one of the Saturday morning get togethers at 3 Rivers before winter is over, one of the guys has the nor vise dubbing table, and said he would show me how it works. If it works as good as I think it will, I might have to pay a visit to Norm if he makes it for the sportsmans show in the spring.

Jake

I've seen George demo his vise at 3 Rivers and think he also has the dubbing table. I have one too that you can try if I happen to be at the same get together. I don't use mine that often as I've found another dubbing board that's easier. The vise is sweet though!

Wyatt is correct, I do have a dubbing table for the Nor-Vise and would love to show it off. It has been a while since I have built a brush but could knock out a couple if you are interested. If anyone is going to be around 3 Rivers let me know and I can stop by and build one. My vise is living at 3 Rivers so when I hang out I can be doing something constructive other than just hanging out.

Mike and I will be working toward tying up some tube flies in the future. Stay tuned. I was thinking on using my new vidio to build a brush and post it on You Tube but don't hold you breath.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Mike and I will be working toward tying up some tube flies in the future. Stay tuned. I was thinking on using my new vidio to build a brush and post it on You Tube but don't hold you breath.

George

Cool George! I would love to see you post a video! I need more supplies; I hope Mike carries Eumer!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I've seen George demo his vise at 3 Rivers and think he also has the dubbing table. I have one too that you can try if I happen to be at the same get together. I don't use mine that often as I've found another dubbing board that's easier. The vise is sweet though!
    Which dubbing board do you use now? What makes it easier than the nor vise table? Thanks to all for the input.

Jake

I use the table that comes with the Nor-Vise. It doubles and a fly drying flies.

George

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    Which dubbing board do you use now? What makes it easier than the nor vise table? Thanks to all for the input.

Jake
    I have trouble with the Nor-vise table. It's covered in felt and I have a hard time lifting the hair off it or dropping the table away as I start to twist the wire without the hair sticking. I try and keep the wire as tight as possible, but it just doesn't work for me. I do make traditional dubbing loops and use the rotary feature of the vise to make quick work of wrapping bodies or "fortifying" peacock herl. I have gone back to my turbo spinning block; It's all wood with a notch down the middle and it works better for me. I do wish it was a bit longer, so I'm thinking about making an updated version and maybe adding some horsepower.

Default turbo block

I have seen a few videos with the turbo block, and it seems like it might be a better option than the nor vise table. I was wondering how the nor vise table would work without the groove for materials, but I am going to keep an open mind until I get to see George use his nor vise table. Did you buy your turbo block online, or somewhere local? It is going to be a long winter, maybe a new toy for tying flies would help.

Jake

I bought mine out of state 4 or 5 years ago and haven't seen them in any local shops or catalogs for a couple years. If you have the Nor-vise, I would go that route first since the table is made to fit between the vise and thread post. If that doesn't work, you can save yourself some money and make your own. I think the Turbo Spinner was about $65 and it looks to have about $10 worth of materials.

I think I will be doing some dubbing brushes this Sat morning at 3 Rivers around 9 ish. I will try to do some maribou and some seal if I can find some for nymphs. Stop by if you have a chance.

George