Thread: .58 cal springfield replica

Default .58 cal springfield replica

How well would one of these work for moose hunting?

Are they nice guns?

Thanks

Boy, there have sure been a lot of makes and models of Springfield replicas over the years, some great and some not so. It would help to know the specifics of the one you're looking at. In general though, 58 cal has long since proven itself on moose, even with round balls. Conicals add more weight, whether needed or not. A hollow-based "minnie" is traditional for the Springfield, but if its barrel has a slower twist rate, heavier solid conicals might or might not stabilize. Slow twists work fine with the hollow based minnies, but you have to hold the powder charge behind them down to 60-80 grains to keep from over-expanding the base skirt and killing accuracy. Some like the military style sights on the Springfield and some don't. That's a question, too.

Tell us more about the gun, the maker and the twist rate of the barrel, and I'm sure others can chime in.

I'm looking at this one right here.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...141&hasJS=true
    I believe it is made by Armi-sport.
    I don't know the twist rate.

They give you the specs on the subsection called "Compare Traditional Muzzleloaders." I'm betting it's made by Pedersoli rather than Armi-sport, since Pedersoli makes so many of their other rifles. Here is the page for the 1861 at the Pedersoli site. There's also a pdf for an exploded view and a recommended load.

The 1861 has a 1:48" twist barrel, which would do well with round balls or heavier all-lead conicals. I've got 3 58 cals with 1:48 twists, and they're all tack drivers. Another of my 58 cals (Yeah, I've got 4 of them, so I'm quite a fan of the caliber) has a 1:72 twist, and while very accurate with round balls or traditional minnies, it sprays the heavier lead conicals all over the paper.

Speaking of my other 58's, I'd sure think twice about buying the Springfield unless you just have your mouth set on that model. $700 is pretty steep for a rifle that I think you'll find marginal as a hunting arm, both in terms of sights and ease of carry. It's got a 40" barrel and weighs right at 10 pounds.

Instead I'd keep your eyes open for a used TC Big Boar 58 caliber with it's 26" barrel as I recall, and weight of around 8 pounds. They turn up with some frequency on the used gun sites ranging for $350 to $500, depending. In fact two of mine are Big Boars and my hunting pard has one too. They're just excellent to carry and shoot, being shorter and lighter than the Springfield while having much better hunting sights. They're also accurate as a snake bite.

Thanks I"ll keep that in mind!

For comparison, I've got a Brown Bess 75 caliber that's roughly the same size and weight, as well as a long barreled (36") 58 caliber Hawken by GRRW that weighs 12 pounds. Both are delights to shoot, but lots to lug in the hills all day, day after day. In my hands, anything over 32" barrel seems overlong in the hills, and anything pushing much over 8 pounds gets heavy fast without a sling.

You'll still love that rifle, but I bet it will give you good excuses to add a lighter, shorter muzzleloader to your collection before many seasons are past.

If after reading all that on the 1861 you're still set on getting one, this looks like a much better buy than buying new, especially with the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew cochran View Post
    How well would one of these work for moose hunting?

Are they nice guns?

Thanks
    The Armi Sport is a beautiful firearm, quality, well made, just plain fine. terrio