Thread: ? about casting bullets.

Default ? about casting bullets.

HAs anyone ever cast bullets from the old lead line off a gill net? The kind with the lead exposed and the line running through it. I come across these on a failrly regular basis and wonder about that. Could be a cheap source for the future.

KK

That's pure lead, and I use it all the time for my muzzleloading balls and conicals, which require pure lead.

For use in centerfire arms you'll need to alloy it with tin or antimony, or some combo of the two. In the bush they can be even harder to find than pure lead! On the road system 50/50 solder, wheelweights and linotype metal are common sources of alloy metals for use with pure lead. Check the front of the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual for a listing of other possibilities. If you're going to be mixing your own alloys from scrap metal sources, it's a very good idea (almost mandatory) to get yourself a lead hardness tester. They're available from LEE and from Corbin, and if I recall correctly, one other source.

You could probably get away with using that for low pressure slow loads in some pistol/revolvers such as 38spl, 45acp and the like. Keep velocities low, 800fps or below with a good lube and it should work. Or trade it to some one that loads muzzle stuffers for some wheel weights. The postal flat rate boxes make that possible.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

snag up as much of that stuff as you can! then you can oder some Lynotype off of e-bax and cut it into you alloy about 5 parts pure lead to 1 part lino.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio