Thread: 325wsm Loads and Opinions

Default 325wsm Loads and Opinions

Hi all

I am a fan of the 325 wsm and to date I dont own one however one is on lay away at a local store and I am looking for some good recipes for the 200 and 180 grain bullets out there as well as what powders are working well for you guys that may have some experience with the 325 wsm. The rifle I settled on was the Kimber Montana partly cuz I am a huge fan of Kimber's Rifles and I like the idea of 24" barrel verses 23" that Browning offers. I fell in love with the 325 after I spent a weekend with one. Thanks all!!!

Default 325 loads

The Nosler book loads work good for me.
    H4350 is a good powder to use for the 200g pills.
    I have heard good things about the new 4007sc but have not tried that yet.

I have found my Montana likes them on the light side but a little slower doesn't hurt my feelings.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=8mm&s=61

.325 Montana is now my go to rifle.
    My gun likes - 200 grain Accubonds, IMR 4350 and Wichester standard Large rifle primers.
    I have recorded 17 clean kill shots with this load in the last year, largest animal being a Eland.
    Mark
    Gun Owners of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member
    USA agent for - www.bentondaviessafaris.com

Default same goto rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
    .325 Montana is now my go to rifle.
    My gun likes - 200 grain Accubonds, IMR 4350 and Wichester standard Large rifle primers.
    I have recorded 17 clean kill shots with this load in the last year, largest animal being a Eland.
    Mark
    I like the 200 grainers as well.
    My standard is the partition. Heard of using the STANDARD primers but have not tried them yet. Did you get lower SD on your velocities?

I started out using magnum primers, got much better groups than factory loads.
    I tried Std. primers and can get sub 1" @ 200 yards if I do my part.
    I don't have a chronograph to check velocities.

I have only recovered 2 bullets, 1 from a Eland and 1 from a Black Wildebeest the weighed 150 and 151 grains respectively, text book expansion.

Zebra, Caribou, Whitetails and smaller animals are bang flop.

Shot a Blue Wildebeest through the heart, 8mm leaves large hole coming and going letting blood shoot out each side, animals like that only run 100 yards or so.

I've shot Impalas with the .325 and 7x64 with ballistic tips side by side - the .325 is in a whole different class. I would have never believed the difference in knocking down a small animal but it is dramatic.
    NRA - Life Member

Another Kimber 325 wizbang shooter here. Mine too likes the 200gr factory AB's. I worked up a load for 220gr Sierra Gamekings with IMR 2007 SSC. I'd have to look at my notes but I think it's just under 2800fps and tight groups. Shot a griz with it this year at 165 yards. Complete passthroughs.

Here's a thread from a couple years ago about the 220's. I have since bumped it up and got close to 2800 fps.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=220+gameking

I loaded up some 180 TSX's for sheep hunting cuz I got the bullets on a trade. I can look up the load but I think I ended up at 3100fps. 4007 SSc again. Next will be the 200gr accubonds since I finally shot up most of my factory loads. That 200 gr accubond at 2950 fps is hard to beat. I chronied them and I think they came in at 2936.

PH told me he had never seen a bullet/cartridge combo drop game like the .325 does with AB's.
    NRA - Life Member

Thats good to hear i am stoked to get one, i was amazed at how manageable this particular cartridge was in such a light rifle. i found the kimber after 3 weeks of searching and debating on weather to go with the kimber or the browning and new the prices are so similar give or take a 100 buck that i was going to go with the kimber. i found one for 700 bills and cant wait to get it out of layaway. i have not read a whole lot about these new powders like 4007ssc but have heard grumblings about them. i know all my peeps here that i talk to that load seem to concur that reloader 15 or 17 is the powder to go with....every gun is different but i love shooting so load developement is as much fun as hunting....thanks for the info and links i hope to see more on this forum especially cuz i am looking to get back to ak to hunt i lived there for a few years on an lds mission and the alaska frontier has haunted my dreams for quit a while its time to start planning my moose and caribou hunt and this gun will be the go to.....

Default Great gun

I also have the Montana in 325, my go-to gun. It is a great rifle/cartridge combo and I will reiterate what everyone else has said. Plenty flat shooting, good power, good accuracy, etc.

I started with the Win 220gr Power Point loads to build up some brass and then ended up with a supply of 180gr CT Ballistic Silvertips. They both give me MOA at 200 yards and when I have done my part they generally drop game like a sledge.

One problem I had recently was when I shot a buck that was climbing up the far side of a gully about 150 yards away. I was shooting 180gr CT loads and when the bullet hit it looks like it blew up on impact. The entrance wound was ~3" to the side of the spine but was over 6" long and gaping. There was lead flecking throughout the wound. Upon butchering I found the bullet between the shoulder and ribcage with no mushrooming evident. It only retained ~90gr weight. Anyone else had a problem like this with this bullet?

I always felt that the 200gr loads would be the best in this rifle and plan on making up a load using Accubonds soon.

Thanks guys, its good to hear that this is becoming the go to cartridge choice. Nimrod, I have only heard of bullets failing in my fathers 257 roberts it seems anytime ihe went below 100 grain bullets for hunting deer or elk they just blister the skin and bruise the meat really bad or resulted in a wounded animal so we always use heavy for caliber bullets in all our meat getters. I keep hearing great things about the 200 grain bullets but not much on any of the newer powders like 4007ssc or reloader 17 hybrid 100v or 6028 xbr. Has anyone tried these? I will most likely start with 4350 or reloader 17......*lso what scopes are you guys all using on the 325 I'm looking at a 3.5-10 vxl or my go to fxIII 6x.

Default 325 scope

My Montana wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36. Great scope and coupled with the light Kimber, makes a great mountain combo. Put mine in Tally lightweight one peice rings. Real nice packing up the slopes. Good field of view at 2.5 for quick target acquisition. Got a bit of horse power as well. And best of all is the pretty good bullet selection. The XP3 is now being made for the short 8.

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    My Montana wears a Leupold 2.5-8x36. Great scope and coupled with the light Kimber, makes a great mountain combo. Put mine in Tally lightweight one peice rings. Real nice packing up the slopes. Good field of view at 2.5 for quick target acquisition. Got a bit of horse power as well. And best of all is the pretty good bullet selection. The XP3 is now being made for the short 8.
    Same scope and rings on mine. Perfect fit for the light compact Kimber. Makes for a 7lb rifle with a light sling. One more thing you guys REALLY SHOULD DO is get your Kimber mag-na-ported. It takes away 95% of the muzzle flip and the "torqueyness". Well worth the 135 bucks.

Are those XP3 super bullets available yet? Or only as loaded ammo?

I never understood why the 8mm naysayers always said there isn't a very good bullet selection for the .323. It's just an 8mm shortmag and comes really close to the big 8 in lots of ways with prolly half the recoil! LOTS of great bullets from 150gr paper punchers to dangerous game 200 and 220gr Swift A-Frames. Plus 200gr TSX's, partitions and accubonds. I was reading a thread about .30 caliber 220's in the 300wsm and it seems the .323 is a better fit for 220's and 200's. Sierra made the 220gr GameKing specifically for the Big 8mm Rem Mag. I talked to them and it has a thicker jacket and is designed for the 8mm mag velocites. They call it a long range hunting bullet. A nice boat tail 220gr .323 at just under 2800fps is a great killer anywhere. Coupled with the light Kimber makes a sweet package. Shoots sub moa with IMR 4007 SSC in my Kimber. I shot 4 of them clean through a griz this year at 165yds. Busted up shoulder and spine as well. This guns a keeper till the day I die.

I have a 3x9 Conquest with Tally rings on mine, had R.W. Hart install his muzzle brake.
    Recoil is less than my 7x64 with 150's and the muzzle stays down, that is a huge plus.
    NRA - Life Member

Default 2.5-8x36

Same scope, different rings. I got the B&C reticle in mine and like it a lot. The stadia are near perfect for the advertised distances. I am still torn between the 3.5-10 and the 2.5-8. They are both good choices but, for me, the 2.5-8 seemed to balance the rifle better.

Personally, I hate muzzle brakes on a hunting rifle. My buddy blew my hat off standing next to him and almost took an eardrum with it. With earplugs in. In a hunting situation I think they are of limited use and I don't generally shoot my hunting rifle from the bench enough for it to bother me. I am more affected by muzzle blast than recoil. Just me and my opinion.

I have a brand new Browning Ti. that has been waiting for me to take it out of the box and show it some attention. I was going to start off with some RL17 and 200 gr Accubonds. Was wondering what kind of results some of you may be having with this combo and what kind of velocities your getting.

One problem I've found with the 325wsm is finding brass. If anyone knows who has some in stock around Anchorage or Wasilla please let me know.

I'm a sucker for the Zeiss Conquest on top of some Talley's.

Default brass

Was just looking at a Natchez catalog. BRASS on SALE. Check it out.

Sweet ill have to check out that sale! Sourdough, when you mounted your scope were you able to use low rings with the 2.5-8? Same question for you mark r. I do have a question for those of you handloading the 325. have you been able to seat the bullets out to the rifleing and still be able to load the magazine with the same overall length the brownings could be an issue but what about you kimber owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapiti00 View Post
    Sweet ill have to check out that sale! Sourdough, when you mounted your scope were you able to use low rings with the 2.5-8? Same question for you mark r. I do have a question for those of you handloading the 325. have you been able to seat the bullets out to the rifleing and still be able to load the magazine with the same overall length the brownings could be an issue but what about you kimber owners.
    No problem with OAL in the Kimber Magazine. Not sure about the Brownings. I seat the 220gr GK's .023 off the lands and there is plenty of room in the mag for longer OAL.

I had Kimber bases and Leupold rings at first. I then switched to the Talley lows with the VXIII 2.5-8x36. Perfect fit. I think Talley says you can use the lows with up to a 40mm scope. Here's a few pics I posted a couple years ago.

I'm most likely going to go with the leupold FXIII 6x that's what I'm used to, I guess I'm old. Fashioned. I'm on a tight budget but I would like to take a poll to see what you 325 shooters would go with for powder to use with the 200 bullets. I'm leaning towards 4007ssc. I'm not going to buy loaded ammo because I have brass bullets and primers but I don't have the budget right now for a bunch of different powders.