Thread: Interlocks and Griz

Default Interlocks and Griz

Opinions please:

I recently bought a Browning Xbolt in .338 win mag and am looking at component costs and thinking of using the 250 grain hornady interlock spire point for my Griz round next spring.

Everyone really really really likes the barnes - but at twice the price per trigger pull are they really that much better than the "cheap" interlocks?

I like to shoot quite a bit and I can't see myself shooting the barnes as much as I would the hornady's.

I have used hornady and speer pretty much exclusively and have not had any problem with them. I did have some close range issues with nosler's ballistic tips in my .300wm...they kilt the deer dead, but without a passthrough. The interlocks have always exited for me.

Will the 250 interlocks and griz make a good enough match?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Opinions please:

Everyone really really really likes the barnes - but at twice the price per trigger pull are they really that much better than the "cheap" interlocks?
    IMO they are not worth the cost in this equation: 338 WM and 250 grain bullet. You should get approximately 2700 fps muzzle velocity and that should drop to about 2600 fps at 50 yards. I've had no problems with Interlocks if they are not pushed too fast; The 338 WM is not too fast. In fact, I suspect you'll find Interlocks are every bit as effective, if not more so, in this application. I am a little hesitant to use Interlocks in my 340 Weatherby +200 fps, but in the 338 WM I've not seen any problems with them. FYI, I've always gotten a bit more penetration with SP than the RN with Hornady bullets.

I like to shoot quite a bit and I can't see myself shooting the barnes as much as I would the hornady's.
    I've got the same feelings myself. You can shoot the Hornady's at the range and then make a swap with the TSXs to resight and go hunting to save some $, but I think the Interlocks will be fine at the range and in the field.

Will the 250 interlocks and griz make a good enough match?
    YES.

It's not a popular answer with the premium bullet fad chasers, but I agree. At those velocities you should be just fine. If I was really pushed I'd probably go with Nosler Partitions in the 338 for bear, but at those velocities, I don't think something stronger is needed. Heck, among the brown bear guides I know the most popular bullet is the Remington 270 grain Corelokt in 375 H&H, and that's no tougher than a 250 grain 338 Interlokt would be.

I've always loved Joyce Hornady's favorite quip, which I heard him make once again at a SHOT show many years ago. Someone approached him to complain that every one of his bullets they had recovered from game had lost too much weight. His answer? "Oh, so you killed the animal?"

Default concur

The mulies that I shot with the .300 were 165 and 180 grain balistic tips and they were loaded up towards max - so they were moving out pretty good.

I totally agree the interlocks will be fine in this rifle in 250grains.

I also picked up some 200 grain interlocks - at $27.99/100 at sportsmans they are hard to pass up....

I will only use the 200's for smaller critters like bou and sheep and such.....

Wish I was back in MT so that I could smoke some prarie dogs with this new shooter - so far I really like it! 180's in a b-tip would put some smak down on the p-dogs!

Default punch through

I do like to get a pass through - especially on bear....

But in reality - if the bullet stops IN the critter then you have used up ALL of the momentum built inside the critter - more smash for the buck - pun intended.

With Griz though I think that i want to know that if I hit solid bone that the bone breaks and the boolit keeps on truckin.

If you know how to shoot, and accurately, the bullet will work just fine.

Red face But

but what if I don't know how to shoot and am not very accurate? Or - what if the mad griz is making breakfast out of me and I dirty my shortz? :0)

I still think that a 250 grain at 2500fps right tween the eyes will put some serious hurt on any critter with the interlock.

Depending on the type of terrain I am hunting - I may not intend to put a lung shot on a big boar - a shoulder shot may be needed to anchor them then I would follow up with a more lethal shot and that is why I spoke toward griz hunting. Any other animals I could shoot with my .25 ought six and put supper on the table with a decent bullet.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've always FELT my 338 TRUCK GUN, loaded with 250 grain Hornady Round Nose boolits, and 67 Grains of H4350 was Bear medicine.

However, I've not heard from a bear on that.

Didn't Jack O'Connor say something like this...... ????

"Bears are occasionally taken by hunters armed with 22s.

"However, hunters armed with 22s are also occasionally taken by bears."
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Interlock is just fine for Grizzlies. I have killed three large interior grizzlies with the Hornady 225 gr SP fired from a .338 Win Mag and could not have asked for better performance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Talking oh the irony!!!!

hmmmm INTERLOCKS...

i might have to get some of those...

Vince
    AKINTERLOCK@alaska.net
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default barnes

I have used hornady interlocks in quite a few calibers and shot a lot of game with them, they work well. I like you shoot a lot and cant afford to send those pricey barnes down range for target practice to much....... but that being said I see a lot of game taken each year while guiding and the barnes is IMHO the best hunting bullet ever made, the TSX is incredibly accurate in most guns and I agree with what "Rifle" mag. editor Dave Scovil says to those who doubt that the barnes works as advertised..... wanna bet!

Shot a black bear this spring at about 25 yards with a 190 interlock from a 300 wsm. One shot did the trick, but didn't recover the bullet. Had them loaded to about 2900 fps. Seems like a good solid round.

Default Interlocks

Ive taken a few Bear with Interlocks in the 30-06 and 375H&H. The only one I ever recovered was a nice fall brown bear taken with a 180 out the a 30-06 at about 80 yards. The bullet was in the far side hide, weighed about 125 grains I recall. Sure did the trick. They are my "go to" bullet for good hunting performance with accuracy.