Thread: Trap Dye

Default Trap Dye

Anyone have a recomendation where to get some in Anchorage? I was considering the type you mix dye and the coleman fuel...not sure what that is called but no boiling but must be careful with white gas.

sportsmans prob has some

Default The stuff with gas

is called speed dip. If you are going to be using it for canine's, I wouldn't. Need a long time to get the smell out of the traps and lots of warm weather. Better to just clean them and wax them in AK. Most of your trapping will be in snow anyways and not like you want something black under the snow.

-TJ

I got some from mountain view sports last year.

...we use Murray's Logwood Trap Dye-

-boil in this, along with spruce boughs-

-should be available on the web, for shipping-

Default white speed dip

I have used speed dip for all my traps including body grips, but they do take a long time to dry out. (I haven't taught my wife to love the smell of speed dip in the morning by hanging them inside by the woodstove). You can get white, black or brown speed dip. Some people say that the canines can smell the speed dip even after hanging them outside for weeks, but others swear by it. I love it on my conibears(sometimes you need to clean off trigger area if they are too sensitive). But, boiling, dyeing, and waxing traps has that trapping nostalgia we all love. Good luck.

They have the speed dip at Boondocks, not sure where locally to get the boil normal dip.

Thanks

Default dyes

Also, don't use speed dip on snares, they will not work right. Instead, boil them in a baking soda solution and they will come out scent free and a nice dull gray color...

Default Speed dip

Do this during the summer on some hot days. It takes awhile for the stuff to dry and if it is cold or moist, it will stay tacky.

I boil all my traps and snares using logwood dye and always branches from willows, aspen, alder, birch and lighter on spruce. Too much spruce and it will dominate the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Do this during the summer on some hot days. It takes awhile for the stuff to dry and if it is cold or moist, it will stay tacky.

I boil all my traps and snares using logwood dye and always branches from willows, aspen, alder, birch and lighter on spruce. Too much spruce and it will dominate the smell.
    ...I didn't know that about the spruce...-I'll keep that in mind, next season-

Default Spruce

I am not sure how much it matters, but my partner boiled his snares and traps in all spruce one year and even I could smell those snares. I love to set snares for wolves and figure if they are in a willow patch and smell spruce, it may have an effect??? Maybe I give them too much credit, but try to not dominate the smell with spruce. Maybe I am too anal!