Thread: 'Black Box' For firearms

Default 'Black Box' For firearms

I guess this could be posted in Politics or 2A but what the heck, let's start here. From 6BR.com :

FN Herstal Develops ‘Black Box’ Round Counter for Firearms

Filed under: News — Tags: AR15, Black Box, FN Herstal, GPS, Recorder — Editor @ 11 am

This story may seem like science fiction at first, but we assure you the details are real. FN Herstal has created a new electronic device, appropriately named the “Black Box”, which can record and store a rifle’s round count and firing sequences. In addition, the FN Black Box contains digital identifiers for the weapon. This means that, when coupled to a GPS, the FN Black Box can transmit the ID and location of the gun to a military command or other monitoring authority.
    Black Box Technology Limited to Military… For Now
    The technology is exciting, though the ramifications for gun control are chilling to say the least. At present, FN Herstal envisions its Black Box as an add-on for military or law enforcement weapons. No one has yet suggested that black boxes be fitted to civilian arms.

The FN Black Box can record multiple types of firing data: round count, burst rates, burst lengths, and firing sequences. The digital sensors can even detect stoppages due to failures to cycle. FN evisions that this information can alert armorers when weapons require maintenance. In addition, by tracking the numbers of rounds fired, military commanders can determine when ammunition resupply is required or when barrels need replacement.
    The Say Uncle Blog notes that while this kind of digital recorder may seem novel for weapons, “the same concept is often applied to industrial machines”, allowing factory owners to optimize maintenance schedules.
    It there a black box in your future? We don’t see much application for Benchrest or High Power events, but this kind of round counter might prove useful in speed shooting disciplines. We do worry about the potential application of “black box” technology to defensive firearms. The digital records of shots fired as well as the sequence of those shots could be used as evidence in trials of gun owners. Imagine being on trial and having your testimony “impeached” by a digital chip removed from your gun.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default black box

WOW! NOW THAT's BIG BROTHER!

Their list of reasons why this technology would be "exciting" doesn't add up. I see nothing here that would have any practical use in the real world with Mil or LE. In fact the only market I could see real benefit to this item is the competition shooters who would use the info to measure and improve their shooting. But we have $60 shot counters that already do that job very well.

When a gun has a malfunction, I assure you that the operator is going to let the armorer know. They don't need an electronic gizmo to tell him for you. Time table maintenance schedules work just fine.

Ammo resupply is done through human interface (talking). Waiting for the black box to tell you that your unit is low on ammo is stupid. What it means is the bean counters can micro-manage the ammo supply in the field instead of shipping out ammo to everyone who requests it.

The Big Brother aspect is certainly of concern were it ever to come to that.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

HKs already have a chip in them.

Default Managemant

This allows the owner of the weapon to know where it is via GPS. It also allows the owner to shut down the weapon in case it falls into the wrong hands; Just like an ON-STAR in your vehicle. I would be skeptical as to what happens when the battery runs down though. Also what happens if a FUBAR caused an entire squads weapons to shut down, OR if a jamming device becomes available to render the weapon useless via electronic signal. High tech becomes junk !!
    This device isn't for weapons micro management folks it's for gun control !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Which ones? How does it work? Who uses it? What is its purpose?

Depending on how well it worked I could see some limited usefulness in a military or possibly a leo enviroment but this scares the crud out of me for civilian use.

ON-STAR from hell comes to mind.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    This device isn't for weapons micro management folks it's for gun control !!
    Actually, I think it's for the lawyers to be able to pick apart police and military shootings to see if the officers/soldiers involved violated any policies.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

If you're referring to the chip installed in FFDO's HK's they are not for recording shots. They are installed to confirm serial number without having to remove the weapon in public view by scanning the concelled area.