Thread: Back from Adak

Default Back from Adak

I am back from my trip to Adak. HAd a great time, Six of us went for the trip, only two hunted caribou. I had a great time. My Dad came up and hunted Ptarmigan and got a couple. I got a nice bull and a cow. Just dropped off meat at Indian Valley today and will be dropping more of at Alaska Sausage as I like there hunter sticks better. We had three full days there and had two nice days and one with a lot of fog that you couldn't see very far. The guy that hunted with me was great and he got a couple also.

Had a good time in the Rhino we rented but the trails are getting beat up bad. attached are pics of my bull and the Rhino full

it was a great trip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good looking bull, great job. Good idea renting the rhino, looks like it saved you guys from alot of meat packing. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by unbwoodsmen View Post
    Had a good time in the Rhino we rented but the trails are getting beat up bad.
    And that is why when it was a military base we were not allowed to go off an improved road surface. The habitat and poor soil structure can't support the load. There are jeep trails from WWII that are still just mud tracks across the tundra and have not grown back all those decades of not being used.

Looks like you had fun.

Thumbs up

Congrats on a couple of nice caribou! I would like to make a trip out there one of these days if for no other reason than to see the countryside.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Looks nice; how did you get the meat back to civilization? Checked luggage? Which airline? Did you use an airtaxi service to get from Dutch to Adak or a boat, etc?

Default Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines flys to Adak Sundays and Thursday and that is how we got there and back. The countryside is amazing out there it is something to see.

How many animals did you see? I've heard from a lot of people online that the quality animals are hard to find up there, as the caribou have been overhunted. I just wanted to get your impression of the hunt.

Thanks

You're going to hear a lot of stuff online that's not true. Not everyone want's to send you to their favorite hot hunting spot. My Adak hunt cost me $400 fun chips (Divided between 4 people) and I could have came back with meat for the next year if wanted.

I was out there in late October and I wouldn’t say the Caribou is over hunted but it’s not a walk in the park either. Quality Caribou are there to be had for those willing to work for them. Shipping back meat is easy and providing you approach the baggage counter with a friendly attitude more than likely you’ll get your meat back without extra charge up to 100lb boxes. Meat needs to be placed in leak proof wax boxes of some type. Antlers need to be boxed also period. Adak is a friendly and affordable hunt for those that use their heads and I found the Aleut Native Corporation a pleasure to work with regarding land use permits. Very nice folks.

And the meat is excellent! PM me or email tim.delarm@59thpp.com and I’ll give you the complete details.

PS...we filmed this trip and that episode should air around middle to end of January. I'll post before it does.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel