Thread: Working in Alpine, AK?

Default Working in Alpine, AK?

Anyone have any experience working up at Alpine and with the companies there?

What are some of the good and bad of working 2 or 3 weeks on/off?

Question

If you get on with Conoco/Phillips you will have a gravy train job. If you get on with any of the smaller contractors, you will have to work for the time spent up there. The best part of the whole deal is the 2 to 3 weeks off.

Just curious, but why would anyone want to move to Alaska just to go to work? There is so much more to spend your time on, like hunting and fishing.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post

I'm not sure what company my neighbor works for but he works 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Well that's the theory, he actually works more like 2 months on 2 weeks off. I'm sure he has a choice in the matter but I guess he likes the paycheck more than time off. He says they are always short people.

This thread would probably belong in a different forum though, like the "jobs" section.
    That's what she said...

Thanks,
    I thought about starting this in the jobs forum, but it didn't look like anyone really used it....at least not very often.
    I am mainly just looking for others experiences, with this type of work/companies. One company I'm looking at is ASRC Energy Services.....another is a company called VECO.

Thanks,
    I thought about starting this in the jobs forum, but it didn't look like anyone really used it....at least not very often.
    I am mainly just looking for others experiences, with this type of work/companies. One company I'm looking at is ASRC Energy Services.....another is a company called VECO.

haha you mean you've not heard of VECO...

Uhh I didnt think they existed any longer.. or they changed there name..or were bought out.. hmmmm...

ok i was right...

CH2M HILL
    http://careers.ch2m.com

This listing was previously VECO Corporation. VECO was acquired by CH2M HILL in 2007 and is now part of their worldwide organization.
    CH2M HILL is an engineering, procurement, and construction firm with over 9,000 employees located in over 175 offices around the world. They provide services to build, upgrade, and support infrastructure, including pipeline integrity work and module fabrication. A major contractor for BP, CH2M HILL typically lists 20-30 openings at any one time. They hire for a wide variety of entry-level and experienced positions. Mechanics, maintenance technicians, drill site operators, drivers, office admins, insulators, welders, pipe fitters…you name it and they’ll eventually advertise for it.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

What are your specific questions??? Lots of slopers here who will chime in if you ask.

Goods and bad of working 2x2 are pretty obvious IMO. Tons of time for hunting and fishing, If your married you'll need a good wife to hold the fort while your gone.

Alpine is a great field to work in. It is much and smaller than most with a very friendly environment. It is very different than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If you get on with Conoco/Phillips you will have a gravy train job. If you get on with any of the smaller contractors, you will have to work for the time spent up there. The best part of the whole deal is the 2 to 3 weeks off.
    Come on res, a gravy train??

Default Alpine...

It's a great place to work. Good people, rooms, food, etc...
    It's another flight from either Kuparuk or Prudhoe which makes it even tougher to get out there and back when it comes to change out day due to the fog in spring and fall.
    Two weeks off makes it tolerable.
    As mentioned above, Veco is no longer as CH2MHILL bought them out a few years back.
    ASRC is the current operator out there for trucking and so on.
    BK

Thanks for the informative responses. I had thought VECO and CH2MHILL were the same company, didn't know they bought VECO.

Are there any from the lower 48 working up there? Commuting back and forth? Just wondering how that is working. I won't be able to move for the next 3 years, have to wait for the youngest to finish school.

As for a gravy job, that is not what I'm looking for. I have that kind of job now and have had others in the past. I never last with them, because they are usually mind numming boring and seem like such a waist of skills.

Default Mst999

Many people live outside and commute on a regular basis. What's your attraction to working up here?
    BK

I didn't realize there were so many commuters from out of the state, working for the oil companies in the north.
    I have been kicking around the idea of working in PBay since I first heard about the place. I was working for a logging company in remote SE AK (2000-01), when I met a guy who had some friends working up there, who told me about it. I liked working in remote areas and the thought of being able to have 2 weeks off/on at a time will work with my plans. My youngest will graduate in 3 years, then I plan on moving to the Southern part of AK. What I want is a place, at least semi remote (very few people in the area) and still be able to get to town with in an hour or two.

Wink

You should seriously consider moving to Barrow or Nuiqsuit. That way you could have the very best of all worlds. Short commute, Close to work and they have public and private schools for the the little ones. That way you wouldn't be having to wait the three years.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I was heading for AK, when I got out of the Army in 93. The wife put the brakes on at Seattle and I've been stuck here ever since..........When I move up, she'll be staying here, she has been talking of getting a condo after the youngest graduates. I'm going to be heading for the county.

Ive worked at Alpine since the begining of its existence. Saw the place grow from its first load of gravel, the rig showing up, camp construction and all mods arriving. Its a great place to work, small town environment. Its not clickish yet like GPB or Kuparuk. Food is awesome, billeting great and core group of people are awesome. Seen alot of folks come and go. Only down fall is if weather is bad, your stranded as only way to get there is to fly in except in the winter we do have an iceroad.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Ive worked at Alpine since the begining of its existence. Saw the place grow from its first load of gravel, the rig showing up, camp construction and all mods arriving. Its a great place to work, small town environment. Its not clickish yet like GPB or Kuparuk. Food is awesome, billeting great and core group of people are awesome. Seen alot of folks come and go. Only down fall is if weather is bad, your stranded as only way to get there is to fly in except in the winter we do have an iceroad.

So, if your stranded in, due to weather and such, do they let you keep working? or are you just sitting around, waiting?

Sounds like a great place to work, get me on and I'm there

Looks like most here are from Palmer.....must be the place to be.

It would be kind of cool to come out by ice road.....at least once anyway.

How long has Alpine been operating? It must have really been something, to see the place go from wilderness to an operating site. I would have liked to be a part of something like that. Who know, maybe in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    haha you mean you've not heard of VECO...

Uhh I didnt think they existed any longer.. or they changed there name..or were bought out.. hmmmm...

ok i was right...
    I had noticed the VECO web site changed, didn't know why.

VECO offered me a position back in 2006, but I couldn't take it then, due to lower wages. I am now in a position where I can and want to.

The thing to consider with communting is it's not really a 2 week on, 2 week off, more like 15 days on, 13 days off, and that's in state. I look at travel days as a complete loss of a day, though the contractors don't pay you a full day. If you are flying in from out of state, that can add another day or two to your commute, depending on when your flights out of Anchorage are.

It used to be that Alaska Airlines ran the charter to the slope, which was great as whenever a flight was delayed, they'd automatically fix your connecting flights. But no longer run by Alaska Air, so when your flight gets delayed, you have to pay to change your return flight, and if the next return flight is the following day, you're also going to have to pay for a room for a night. Hence the time and expense to commute out of state can add up and you need to factor in if the pay is good enough to account for the time and costs you incur to commute.

To my way of thinking, if you can get a 30% pay raise, the hassles of working on the slope and being away from family are worth it. If you aren't getting that big of a bump, you might want to reconsider. The opperators are really ratcheting down and trying to cut costs everywhere. CH2MHill just had a 3% pay cut accross the board in Alaska, and hasn't given raises since they bought out Veco. I'd expect salaries to stay fairly flat for the next few years.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I realy liked working at alpine. I had a winter job there working in the big white tent. I was staying at kuparuk and we rode the ice road to alpine every day on a bus and they payed travel time so i was getting 15 hrs a day
    it was great everything over 40 is time and a half . so i was getting 105 hrs a week and doing 6 weeks on and one off. Did that for 6 months. was a good winter.
    when i was up there it was just before they started pumping oil and we were working balls to the wall trying to make a deadline. now its more laid back. Ive got alot of frends up there they are two and two and they love it. They like haveing two weeks off to go do whatever....There is alot of people up there from out of state and they seem to like it.
    The food there is great they have a movie room waight room its like a small city.

Just went up for the HSE (Health Safety Fair). I work for a renewable energy company that had a booth at both Alpine and Kaparuk. Great folks and the food is something else. Much more of a tight crew at Alpine, they are smaller than Kaparuk, and seem to be a bit more on the personal side. In a good way, like a family.
    Just some thoughts as an outside observer. Oh, if you are waiting for weather to clear and are grounded for any length of time, you will most likely be put back to work as your relief can't make it in if you can't make it out.
    Had a great time and the people were respectful and welcoming at both locations.

Regards,

Mountaintrekker

Thanks for the informative responses. I had thought VECO and CH2MHILL were the same company, didn't know they bought VECO.

Are there any from the lower 48 working up there? Commuting back and forth? Just wondering how that is working. I won't be able to move for the next 3 years, have to wait for the youngest to finish school.

As for a gravy job, that is not what I'm looking for. I have that kind of job now and have had others in the past. I never last with them, because they are usually mind numming boring and seem like such a waist of skills.
    Look at what you started now AKRes, first "gravy train" now you've gone and got us branded as "mind numbed" with "wasted skills"..... argh!!!!!

Getting a job with ASRC or CH2 while living outside is going to be quite a challenge. Both companies are pretty set on hiring residents as a priority. They do have a fair number of workers who live "outside" to be sure, but most of them have long established resumes with extensive arctic oilfield work. The jobs pay well, give you lots of time off, and are highly sought after. The crews are made up already, of top notch folks. It'd be a great score to land a job with either, especially at the alpine field.