Thread: Uh Oh Woodsmen 190's

Default Uh Oh Woodsmen 190's

I just noticed a major archery web site has solid (no vented) Wensels 160 and 190 grain glue-ons. Maybe they've been out for a while but this is the first time I've seen them. It's about time. I like the design of the 125s but they weren't heavy enough. The 190s just may be the ticket. I know Ashby is hot for two bladed single bevels but the 3 to 1 design of this 3 bladed head with heavy weight should blow through anything in Alaska and leave a hole that can't seal up. I may order three to see how they fly. Has anyone tried them yet?

I have 125s WW...dont care to much for TO much weight up front personally.

Mine are hard to sharpen as sharp as I like. I took a wood plane method of glass and sandpaper..that did work very well, however I dont plan on carrying this afield so it leaves some to be desired. It did do the trick and I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to touch them up afield. I'll put it bluntly the file method of sharpening them STINKS!

They flew fine out of my bow.

I would nip the tip on mine (cant comment on the new ones) as they come to an almost needle point which is super easy to curl imho.

I've done to well with 125 zwickeys to change...but if I were, 125 gr ww's is at the top of that list.

My one concern about shooting multiblade heads out of OUR style of bows is getting through bone, especially on a moose. I wonder how well they'll do on big heavy rib bones. I do want to use the ww on a black bear if I ever go chase them again. That was the main reason I picked them up. Then again, I'm sure my 2 blade eskimo's will do just fine too....kind of a toss up to me. Post your results when you come up with them....

With wood bows I shoot heavy hardwoods, homemade heavy fir, or heavy cane with hardwood foreshaft. The 190 heads always gave me better flight. Haven't shot cedar. I'd like to shoot a three bladed head because I've seen black bear run out of blood in a 50 yard sprint after a marginal hit. I have a friend in SC that hunts hogs almost daily. He switched to Snuffers years ago and has lost very few pigs since. A third blade is not a cure for a bad shot but in the right design I think the pros out weigh the cons. 160 Snuffers are great heads for deer and hogs but the angle is too sharp for big critters.

The WW does need the needlepoint worked back a little. Once you get the needle worked down they're very solid heads and less likely to curl than a two blade IMHO. Especially if they are made solid like the new 160s and 190s. The 125s fly ok but I never liked the whistle of the vented heads.

Maybe someday I can show you how I sharpen them. I showed a friend one time in the field and he sliced the feathers off his other arrows putting it back in his quiver. I find them easier to get sharp than a two blade. In the field I use a flat Uncle Henry steel like a file. Takes a few more licks but it works great. Two bladed single bevels are my pain in the stone. Seems to take me forever to get them right.

I'm curious to see if anyone has purchased the new heavy heads yet.