Thread: best Gaiters

Default best Gaiters

I am looking for input on some gaiters that individuals like. Had a few but some are made of garbage material and fall apart after a few outings and heard of others are so loud when it gets a little cold. Is there a balance between quite and well made. Is a good nylon pair like outdoor research the best route? I am looking for a good pair to put on my Christmas list

I've had OR and Mountain Hardware gaiters and have been pleased with both. I found some $100 gaiters on sale in Homer last spring for $10/pair, so now I'm loaded up and likely won't be buying new ones for 20 years. Anyhow, I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. I've never really thought about the noise they make, but it hasn't ever been a problem I've noticed.

Just a note, something that could be done with furs that are not worth selling, try making some out of them.

You would still need to do some home tanning,and sewing, but it all depends on how much you want to work for a good product.

I use outdoor research gaiters for almost everything. If I were bow hunting I would consider the Sitka Gear gaitors. They are camo and quite.

Brett

I've had a pair of Mountain Hardware gaiters for several years, so far so good. I was a little concerned when I bought them that the velcro that closes the front would wear out, but it is still holding strong. No issues with them sagging or falling down yet. Only possible concern at the moment is they're a tight fit over top my new Kenetrek pac boots. I can see where if they're tight fitting and I took them off out in the snow, they might be a pain to get back on with cold fingers.

I've used OR gaiters for years and they work great except..........the noise. They are very well made and if you are very stealthy they're a good choice.

I have a soft, quiet, insulated pair, I forget the brand, from SW but they collect stickers and mud like a poodle.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

I have both Outdoor Research gaiters and kenetrek gaiters. The OD Research ones are more waterproof IME, but the kenetreks are quiet. However if going on a stalk I drop my raingear and all loud clothing anyways so I use the OD Research ones.

I have OR crocs, as does my wife. we have been very happy with them. have read plenty of good things about mountain hardwear. crocs are very durable and are proven. if you want to spend the money once, i would go with OR or MH.

depending on boots and external clothing, the size may vary. i normally wear a medium, but with bigger boots and snow pants on in the winter, i need a large.

I am not realy a gator guy but I do have the kennetreks and they seem to be well
    made quality gear so far.

Default Best features...

on my OR's:
    1. No zippers to foul for donning/doffing
    2. Durable materials, especially the strap going under my boot
    3. Front hook that hooks to boot lace from underneath (stays hooked)
    4. Vent over the calf for warmer days...(this part does zip)

I've only owned a few pairs, and I prob don't hike half the miles some do, but I've used these OR's the most. Easy in, easy out, and work like the first time.

Parts that have clunked out on previous pairs: zippers, strap going under the boot, hook that hooks over the bootlace only to come unfastened when a little snow pushes under.

Whatever you get, put em on/off, on/off, on/off.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    on my OR's:
    1. No zippers to foul for donning/doffing
    2. Durable materials, especially the strap going under my boot
    3. Front hook that hooks to boot lace from underneath (stays hooked)
    4. Vent over the calf for warmer days...(this part does zip)
    Those are the same features I'm enjoying in my new Mountain Hardware gaiters. My (very) old ORs had some of the same problems you cited. I guess both companies got it figured out.

Has any tried the Black Diamond gaiters?

http://www.rei.com/product/645763

I just picked these up the other day and havn't had a chance to try them out yet.

Default Sometimes the differences seem small...

A handful of companies seem to make dependably excellent gear.
    Like Brian says, a lot of top gaiters will share the same features. In gaiters, it looks like MH, OR, prob BD and some REI stuff have good ones - just go out and figure what brand fits you best, and within your budget will keep working when splattered with mud or grit or caked with ice maybe.

Choosing among them can be more about personal preference or finding a sale, etc. In fact, I most enjoy wearing top gear that I found in end-of-season discounts. Seems lighter.

Default +1 kenetreks

just spent 5 days in my kenetreks in the snow, rain & cold temps in northern idaho.....these thing are quite, worked great.......looked at many before getting these, most were so noisy in the showroom i could'nt imagine in the field especially when the got wet & cold. i know zippers seem like the way to go but wait until they freeze up, then try to get them off. i'm not a fan of velcro because of the noise but the stuff works, just get them on & adjusted then your ready for the day. the kenetreks hace a nice adjustment at the top of your calf so you can get the fit right.......the sitka gaiters, from the looks of them they would sound like a frieght train in the cold wet conditions, but maybe not & they're price???
    kenetreks or OR for me!!