Thread: Yamaha Grizzly in the brush?

Default Yamaha Grizzly in the brush?

Guys I am kind of fresh off getting a new titanium knee so walking in tough terrain is a chore. Yesterday I started out blood trailing a large midwest whitetail on my 550 Grizzly. I drove through timber, over logs through some of the worst tangle imaginable. I had to use the winch more than once to get out of binds. When all was said and done, other than a few scratches on the body work it came out unscathed( I didn't buy it to look at anyway)!

Has anyone ever broken a factory skid plate? Just how tough are these things?

My Grizzlies both have pretty beat up skid plates which are the factory ones but they are still intact and I have bounced off many rocks with them.

Default Good to see you're still around!

I have an 08 Grizzly 700 with 2300+ hard miles on it, with ZERO problems. I have torn off a fair amount of the factory plastic skid plates, but they've done their job. Nothing else underneath has been damaged. I'm planning to put aluminum skid plates on mine when I get home from Afghanistan. I can't say enough about the Yamaha Grizzlies. The durability of mine has won Yamaha a customer for life. Enjoy your hunts!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

We've got 3 seasons now of hard riding on our Grizzlies and although we've bounced them pretty hard off rocks, stumps and logs and ridden off-trail through heavy brush we've never had to replace the skid plate or the rubber boots next to the wheels (which I've seen tear on other models). The Grizzlies are designed pretty well, I think, to handle some pretty rough riding without having to put the after-market armor on them.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I currently own 2 700's, one being an '07 and one being '09. On my 07 I went for the first year with the factory skid plates. I never really thought about it until I hit a rock in a mudhole that rattled my bones just a bit. It wasn't long before I changed them out for the aluminum ones. Although I will say, there was nothing more than scratches on the factory plates. I ride alone quite a bit and never back down from a challenge which is why I opted to go to metal. I did change out the plates on the '09 before even riding it. I just like the peace of mind I guess. I still kind of boggles my mind with the cost of these "toys" why they don't put metal down there??!!
    EricL

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Guys I am kind of fresh off getting a new titanium knee so walking in tough terrain is a chore. Yesterday I started out blood trailing a large midwest whitetail on my 550 Grizzly. I drove through timber, over logs through some of the worst tangle imaginable. I had to use the winch more than once to get out of binds. When all was said and done, other than a few scratches on the body work it came out unscathed( I didn't buy it to look at anyway)!

Has anyone ever broken a factory skid plate? Just how tough are these things?
    Did you find the deer??
    EricL

Default I have owned

5 different wheelers, Honda and Yamahas and one Suzuk. I have always been amazed at how tough atvs in general are. yeah, banged up skid plates, some torn cv boots and one punctured oil cooler which I later removed with no problems., but they take a lot. I used to homestead in a pretty dense part of South Central AK. But one point I'd like to make: I have always had machines with single cylinder engines of 400 c.c. or less. I have often wished early on that some of them had better suspensipn, but never lacked for enough power to pull a loaded meat trailer with both racks loaded too. I just don't push that hard or fast. I personally think too much power is often unnecessary. But, like I say, that's me.

Nope, no deer. It would have been my sons first wall hanger too. I went back to look again today and jumped a real dandy that limped off with a bad front left wheel. My guess is that it was the same deer and Jr. hit him a little to far forward.

I lost my factory plates within the first 800 miles, I hit a bad rock under the snow while riding fast, put a groove in the frame rails. I installed Ricochet after that and I love them. I hate to say I don't back down from much now! I love the piece of mind. BTW: the Ricochets are now bent onto/arond the frame in one spot-I'm glad I have them on. I love Yamahas but I hate the factory plastic under them.

I have a 2008 Grizzly 700 and I ordered my skid plates through www.aluminumproducts.com. It is a smaller outfit and they do a great job, the quality is unmatched, take a look and you won't be sorry. I have had my machine in some rough stuff and they haven't let me down.