Thread: Question on guiding and outfitter responsibility?

Default Question on guiding and outfitter responsibility?

You might read the title and think of safety, however this is more of a client satisfaction issue after the hunt. I went on a hunt with an outfitter, (unmentioned for now) for sheep and moose. Obviously a trip of a lifetime. The hunt was good, I didn't pick the most expensive, but didn't expect luxurious accomadations as I don't have any problem roughing it. I did bring my video camera hoping to capture some of my most rare hunting experiences. When I mentioned bringing it on my hunt, my guide told me that he had one with him and that he would be filming and it wouldn't be a problem to send me a copy of the video at the end of the season. He showed me all the other kills he had for the season before we left camp the first day, so I knew he was getting the action. The hunt was in Sept. 05.

Problem.....I have been in touch with the guide (Outfitter and the personal guide) each numerous times and the master guide keeps telling me to call my guide which I have emailed numerous times and spoke on the phone with as well. It's now been over a year and I have no video. When a guide offers to do something that memorable, I think they need to live up to it.

Am I out of line for expecting the video that he took and showed me after my kill? Please advise what you might do?

By the way, there were other things that will go without mention.

Very disappointed.

Everyone must have an opinion on this, please let me know your thoughts.

No, I don't think you are out of line for expecting it, but after over a year it is obvious it isn't coming.
    I've never used a guide, so I am not too sure what recourse you would have. I'd be angry, too, though. Good luck.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

The master guide involved should take control of this situation, h4d. I'd keep on him until it's resolved.
    If this part of your experience was agreed upon, it should be made available. One year is unexceptable.
    If your video has been lost or erased, etc, You should receive an explanation at the very least.
    Stay on him.

My .02.

Best, Frank

Being an outfitter and guide I feel you should have definitely have received anything promised to you. If one of my guides made a promise to provide a video I would be on his case to make him provide it to you. I think the outfitter who you booked the hunt through would be more then happy to get on his guides back to make his clients happy. After all I have always felt that a satisifed hunter is always your best advertisement. I would say go after the Master Guide/Outfitter who you booked the trip with. If he is any kind of stand up guy he will contact the guide. If the guide needs the work and doesn't want to get on the bad side of the outfitter he will get the video to you.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

i do the video for my clients as well, because i've had clients who woudlnt' send me their copy of the video, kinda the opposite version of what your situation is. I make the tape at my house and give them their copy before they even leave my place. problem solved.
    I've also had clients tell me the tip was in the mail, i'll send somethign this christmas and so on and never get it. same deal, i guess the ball rolls back and forth from court to court.
    Keep on the guide, eventually you might get the video, it it wasn't in writing or any money involved its possible the guide feels little responsiblity for getting it to you. i would keep on the master guide as well....and the guide who shot the video. the loudest wheel gets the grease so to speak.
    what you've got here is a situation of hand shakin' promises, no one seems to honor those these days. make them stick to what they said and keep them honest and if they don't....throw the name out to everyone you know. if they are willing to let small details (to them, obviously to you its huge!) go for you, what will they let go for the next client.
    hold them to it.

Sounds to me like the video got lost, damaged, broke, or something else....good chance the video doesn't exsist anymore. Otherwise, he would have sent it to you long ago. Common sence would tell you that neither the outfitter or guide wants a disapointed/un-happy client. Obviously you're disapointed that you don't have the video, I can understand....it would have been nice for you to get a copy.

I've seen this from both sides, when the guide & client are together, facing each other in real person, everyone has good intentions and everyone agreee's to swap pictures once they're developed. For some reason or another a lot of times the pictures never get traded back & forth. Maybe they just got busy w/ thier own lives, had good intentions...but in the end the pictures (or video) never got sent like was promised.

We do similar to what BRWNBR does. When the guides & clients come from the field we download the chip from the digital camera on our computer and then burn a disk for the client with ALL of the picutres from ALL of the camera's used during hunting season. Next, we print off a few of the better pictures on our home printer, put them in a small photo album w/ the clients name written inside the front cover, and then when the client gets back home, as he is just stepping off the plane and ready to tell is Alaska hutning story to the folks meeting him at the airport, he whips out the small photo album and shows them picutres on the spot. Next he can have all, or some, of the pic's on the disk proffesionally printed.
    Generally we take it one step more and have an artist freind make a pencil drawing of one of the better pictures and then have it framed and matted and sent to the clients. Costs us about $200 bucks per print, and its the best money we have ever spent on marketing. We don't tell them we're going to have the art made, we just do it and send it to them as a gift.
    Ck out some of these pencil drawings; www.ccaseysart.com

Default Great Idea!

Byron,

This sounds like a great advertizing tool and a super way to get repeat customers.
    Thanks for sharing
    Bigmnt

Thumbs up Great idea

I agree,that sounds like a great idea.If you have a digital camera you can upload them on your computer send them,print them etc

Byron, Brwnbr, you both sound like you run reputable services. Byron, sounds like you really go the extra mile with the sketch. That is a very nice touch.

I agree with BrwnBr on the fact it goes both ways. Many times I have been promised something from clients, or my guides have, and then only to never receive it. Lots of guests have great intentions but like Byron said they get home and forget about it.

Hope you get your video hunt4duck, just keep trying like BrwnBr said the squeeky wheel gets the oil.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

that pencil drawing is a really cool idea, we always have just had gift bags for the clients a business tshirt and a hand full of alaska gifts, i find out how many kids and how old they are and we make sure everyone in the family has a gift when dad shows up after dropping that kinda money!! usually ulu's and stuff like that. running a smaller personal business makes it alot easier to put that personal touch on a hunt.

Default Personal Touch is Nice

The photos, drawings, and personal touches are awesome ideas! That would certainly make an impact on me.

Hunt4duck, keep after him! We sure have deteriorated over time in terms of honoring our word. If he said he was going to give you a copy, he should make the effort to do so....if (as Byron mentioned) the video may have been damaged or lost, he should be man enough to admit it and apologize.

I'm still waiting for a copy of my guide's pics and video from my hunt this Fall, he has me on tape dropping a wolf at about 100 yards, then has some live shots of my moose just before I shot it. I sent him a copy of all the pics I took....his wife was due to have a baby in October, so I'll go a little easy on him....until about January, when I'll start to bug him more if need be.

He went to college with my brother, so I don't feel bad giving him a nudge if I need to....good luck, I hope you get your pics and I hope you enjoyed your hunt.

Michael

Default Video

Rob:

I am going to hunt with the same outfit this August. If you know who doesn't cough up the video, I'll break some knee caps!!! lol

Seriously,

If the assistant guide told you to leave your camcorder at base camp because he would shoot the video, and burn one for you, he needs to get it done, or come clean about why he can't make it happen.

Angry sounds fishey

i almost bet i could pick your guide/outfitter
    and yes they owe you your video no question!!!!!!1 when you the hunter spend the time money on a trip of a life time maybe to an area you could not get too or what ever reason you should get the tape!!! and not get to see it again at an out door show as part of this guys sales pitch

go getit it yours and paid for.

majic

Quote Originally Posted by hunt4duck View Post
    You might read the title and think of safety, however this is more of a client satisfaction issue after the hunt. I went on a hunt with an outfitter, (unmentioned for now) for sheep and moose. Obviously a trip of a lifetime. The hunt was good, I didn't pick the most expensive, but didn't expect luxurious accomadations as I don't have any problem roughing it. I did bring my video camera hoping to capture some of my most rare hunting experiences. When I mentioned bringing it on my hunt, my guide told me that he had one with him and that he would be filming and it wouldn't be a problem to send me a copy of the video at the end of the season. He showed me all the other kills he had for the season before we left camp the first day, so I knew he was getting the action. The hunt was in Sept. 05.

Problem.....I have been in touch with the guide (Outfitter and the personal guide) each numerous times and the master guide keeps telling me to call my guide which I have emailed numerous times and spoke on the phone with as well. It's now been over a year and I have no video. When a guide offers to do something that memorable, I think they need to live up to it.

Am I out of line for expecting the video that he took and showed me after my kill? Please advise what you might do?

By the way, there were other things that will go without mention.

Very disappointed.

Thank you all for your input, especially Falcon and breaking knee caps! I didn't think I was being out of line and if I made a promise to an outfitter....they have my word, I keep it! I thought I was pretty fair with my tipping of $800 total and I even offered to send a SASE, just haven't got the committment yet. Maybe I should send it anyway. Got some good advise on PM too. I will be back to Alaska, it's a great state and awesome adventures await me. Wish I could do it every year.

Good luck Falcon and Congratulations to Les and son!