Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one? So many choices.... Carbon Arrows

Default Which one? So many choices.... Carbon Arrows

OK, I am still an archery newbie but considering making the switch to carbons. I have been led to belive that this will increase my accuracy/range. I have looked at a few charts and can easily figure the spine that I need, what I don't know is which manufacture and why??? It seems that Gold Tip and Carbon Express are the most popular, but why?

So, I guess what I am looking for is somewhat of a buyer's guide. I did see the post regarding aluminum vs. carbon, but I am seeking a bit mroe specific information/opinion...

Thanks for your help

Default GT's

All I've shot in the last 10 years. Except for a set of beeman's that I inherited about 7 years ago. The beemans blew up in pieces in mid air... well, one of them did and I scrapped the rest.

GT or CX ?? Can't go wrong either way if ya ask me. Shootin carbon has saved me a ton of money over the years!

Compound or trad?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Thanks for the reply.

I get the general feeling that GT or CX are the way to go, but what makes them special?

Also, how has carbon's saved you money over the years?

Thanks

Default great question

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Compound or trad?
    I am shooting a compound, 30" presently 54# but likely will crank it up to 60 (top of the range for the bow).

I am shooting Easton 2216 with a 100gr. tip and blazers. 4" group at 40 yards 8" at 50 and grounding out at 60??? I know it is all about trajectory, but I am hoping that carbons will flatten the trajectory, shorten the pin span on the sight and tighten the groupings (of course shooting form is the real answer there).

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I get the general feeling that GT or CX are the way to go, but what makes them special?

Also, how has carbon's saved you money over the years?

Thanks

I shoot Easton 2216 for long time and was a big believer In aluminum arrows,That,s up until rocks started to make nasty little dents in my arrow,s(We wont get in to that) I brought some new Gold tips. . Even hitting rocks (Again no comment on that) They stay straight or blow up .Plus the Durability is every bit as good as aluminum ,s,Been using Carbons for a while now and i really don,t see an arrow out there that can match carbons hitting power and accuracy.They utilize the bow,s energy a lot more then aluminum .So I guess that would be the reason why there better ,
    Hoyt Katera XL toughest Bow Going

Default Great post

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I shoot Easton 2216 for long time and was a big believer In aluminum arrows,That,s up until rocks started to make nasty little dents in my arrow,s(We wont get in to that) I brought some new Gold tips. . Even hitting rocks (Again no comment on that) They stay straight or blow up .Plus the Durability is every bit as good as aluminum ,s,Been using Carbons for a while now and i really don,t see an arrow out there that can match carbons hitting power and accuracy.They utilize the bow,s energy a lot more then aluminum .So I guess that would be the reason why there better ,
    Lex,

This is the kind of information I am seeking. Thank you!

I had sort of the same issues with alumnium arrows, last fall I hunted the Ft Rich moose tag and during the season I had several arrows that had the fletchings tear or fall off. Also bent a couple while practicing so that's when I decided to go with the carbon and FOBS. You never have to worry about carbon arrows bending or getting dented and with the FOBS, no more fletchings to fall off or tear. I leave them off while traveling to my hunting spots and when I get to my stand or area that I am going to hunt, I put them on. Aluminum have been used for decades and I fought the idea of "change" to carbon for quite some time but after last year, I was left with no choice but to switch.

I use and love Gold Tips. Check out Big Jim's for a sale he is having.

http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/

This comes close to another Ford/Chevy/Dodge issue, but usually isn't so intent on bashing. I started with Gold Tips, like them, used them with success. But after experimenting, I stuck with Easton Axis (both older style and N-Fused). I still use the GTs for some things. Both are excellent arrows. Perhaps it may come down to what level of precision you desire/need (different versions of GT) as well as what you can spend. I believe the Carbon Express are about the most expensive out there. Haven't used them, I'm certain they are excellent, not sure if they are worth the cost to me! There are others like Victory that are well respected, too.

BTW, if you want to experiment a bit, you could try used arrows on eBay or ArcheryTalk.com. I've bought in both places with good luck. Just be careful, it's "buyer beware."

Default saved me money:

Cuz they don't bend or dent. bounced one off a tree @ a 3d shoot once upon a time. (still scored a 10 ) Aluminum woulda been bound for the trash bin. Checked my fletching and flexed the arrow & it didn't break or show any splintereing so I finished the shoot with it.

Aluminums have their place, just not in my quiver.

IF you wanna try some inexpensively, I've got 2 dozen un-cut 55/75 GT shafts that are waiting for someone to shoot them. I'll cut & build you a few and you can try them for free. You like them, I'll sell you the rest @ my cost.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    This comes close to another Ford/Chevy/Dodge issue, but usually isn't so intent on bashing. I started with Gold Tips, like them, used them with success. But after experimenting, I stuck with Easton Axis (both older style and N-Fused). I still use the GTs for some things. Both are excellent arrows. Perhaps it may come down to what level of precision you desire/need (different versions of GT) as well as what you can spend. I believe the Carbon Express are about the most expensive out there. Haven't used them, I'm certain they are excellent, not sure if they are worth the cost to me! There are others like Victory that are well respected, too.

BTW, if you want to experiment a bit, you could try used arrows on eBay or ArcheryTalk.com. I've bought in both places with good luck. Just be careful, it's "buyer beware."
    Thanks for your post. I am trying to filter out the personal preference and watching for specifics. For example, I like Fords because they didn't participate in the taxpayer bailout! Good reason for me. But also, looking for different experiences, like tendancy to crack, accuracy, arrow weight, etc.

Thank you for the specifics. I have seen Victory's recommended in a couple of different posts, but I don't know anything about them. I'll see what I can dig up.

Cheers

Straightness is VERY important. Well, only if you aim at the center of the target, anyway. If you just aim NEAR the target, then I guess shafts of lesser tolerances will do.
    ALL of my shafts are to within .001 straightness. There are some manufactured to .006 !!! Which I consider very undesirable.

I happen to like Victory, but have tried the others as well. As long as the shafts are straight and spined consistently, all is good.

Keep your shafts "batched". I'll explain: When you buy a dozen shafts from a reputable company, those shafts should have been manufactured together. Same as a "lot" with ammo.

I once cut a batch from one "lot" and a batch from another "lot" all of same manufacturer and spine. All the same length, which in this case was 28.0. When weighed to the nearest grain, one batch hovered around 255gr and the other lot around 264. I seperated the two with rubber bands, and always keep them apart.

Little things matter. But only if you are aiming for the center!

Taylor

-[]------->

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Lex,

This is the kind of information I am seeking. Thank you!

Glade to help
    Hoyt Katera XL toughest Bow Going

Default Great information

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Straightness is VERY important. Well, only if you aim at the center of the target, anyway. If you just aim NEAR the target, then I guess shafts of lesser tolerances will do.
    ALL of my shafts are to within .001 straightness. There are some manufactured to .006 !!! Which I consider very undesirable.

I happen to like Victory, but have tried the others as well. As long as the shafts are straight and spined consistently, all is good.

Keep your shafts "batched". I'll explain: When you buy a dozen shafts from a reputable company, those shafts should have been manufactured together. Same as a "lot" with ammo.

I once cut a batch from one "lot" and a batch from another "lot" all of same manufacturer and spine. All the same length, which in this case was 28.0. When weighed to the nearest grain, one batch hovered around 255gr and the other lot around 264. I seperated the two with rubber bands, and always keep them apart.

Little things matter. But only if you are aiming for the center!

Taylor

-[]------->
    Mr. Taylor,

Thanks for the great information. Of course I am always looking at the center... not always hitting it though.

I noticed on the GT chart that there is a wide spread with the straighness from .001 to .006, depending on the model. I am sure the same is true with CX and Victory as well...

Cheers

I started with the carbon express weight forward which appears to only be a shaft wrap. I shoot victory V-1s now with FOBs and like their consistency.

I hunted 28 years with alluminum arrows, 2 elk, 8 deer, 2 coyotes, 3 turkeys, and many small game species. The only problem I had was a lack of penetration at 40+ yards. Switched to carbon arrows and will never go back. 6 deer, 1 elk, lots of grouse, lots of small game and all pass throughs. I like 2 blood trails better than one.

Interesting article on carbon arrow properties. http://www.carbontecharrows.com/main...-straightness/
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

i am currently waiting for some gold tip xt hunter 7595's bill at np archery says they are a great arrow will let you know when i get them.

I use GT XT Hunter 7595 and love them. Never had a issue with GT, I have used them since 1998 and really dont see a need to go with anything else for me anyhow! They are tough and hold up to most anything, shot an elk down in Washington he only went about 50 yds and tipped over (quartering away shot at 38yds) with a clean pass through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast