Thread: New here and just wanted to say Hi

Default New here and just wanted to say Hi

Hi my name is Brian. I am from Washington State. Been a guest on here for bit. Looks to be a great forum. I grew up in the country in NE Washington. Gill Netted in Bristol Bay for a summer. I guide moose hunters here in washington. in the unit i guide for havegot my clients over 25% of all B& C records for Shiras moose. I am looking at hunt one for myself DIY. can't afford to pay a guide myself. Would like to drive up and then take my boat up river a 100 miles or so. any ideas on an area i can do that? lookin to do a rifle hunt with two buddies 10-14 day hunt. I am willing to hunt anywhere I can get to by boat. and do a float hunt back down. any help would be great. Not looking for a honey hole just a general area that holds a good moose population I know how to call and judge a good moose. Would like to hunt an over the counter area but if you know an area that has a good non res draw that is easy to get I would be interested in that as well. LIke a said I can do the leg work just need a idea of an area that holds moose.

Thanks for the help just so you get to know me a little better i am attaching a family picture and a few moose my clients have got an a few sheds i have found score just shy of the 200 mark.

First question. What kind of boat?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Depend on what I need. Iwas thinking either a 16' v bottom with a 25 horse or would a flat bottom be better? Just need to know what would work the best and I can go from there looking to do this hunt in 2 to 3 years from now. So I have time to prep. not worried about wilderness have hunted in backcountry many times.

Default Load up the wagon

I too am a former Central Washington guy. Pack up the wagon and head on up north. Sounds like you have a future among us hunters living up here in the Great Land.

Welcome aboard.

With a V-Bottom and a 25hp you are going to be pretty much limited to the Yukon River and some of the rivers flowing into it. Most other rivers are going to require more H.P. and a jet unit.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

A 16 foot boat won't hold the fuel, food, and gear for a 100 mile ride with 3 guys in the boat. Put one moose in there and you won't make it back out in one trip.

You will need to come back down under power to stay off logs and sandbars which is why you will need a lot of fuel.

If you plan on hunting while floating in the boat back down the same river you (and a dozen other guys) just came up bring extra food. You won't be shooting a moose so you will be hungry.

Seriously though, if you are wanting to do a road based boat hunt get a map and find where a large river crosses a highway. Then look up river for another large river that is not near a village. Search for the name of that river on here and you will find a lot of info. This site has way too much info already posted that will fill many books on "how to hunt Alaska" if only someone would copy it all down.

welcome. Hope you find this place interesting.

A 40 hrs and a 16 ft boat is a good utility. Gear, 3 friends and a Moose will need two loads, and 100 Miles ina loaded boat is about 20 gallons, one way.
    Th e40 will at least get you and your load up on step, or your REALLY gonna burn gas. An unloaded boat will almost(not quite) double that range.

Have fun!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Optiions

Hey welcome aboard.
    Since you have time (2 or 3 years) you may want to consider your options. Time you drive up and run a boat all over hell and dodge, which you will have company doing. You may consider the difference between investing the time and expense of driving-up verses a good fly out.
    I have never been anyplace in a boat, on a 4-wheeler or on a snow machine in Alaska where I did not run into others.
    I have been on many fly-outs where I spent 10-15 days in the field without seeing anyone.
    Something to think about...........

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbenham View Post
    Hi my name is Brian.
    <monotone group of voices> "Hi Brian"

Welcome to the addiction.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Smile

Welcome aboard Brian and nice looking family and moose you got here! There have been some great ideas put forth so far and I agree with cusackla about the fly in you will be in it the same amount of money if not cheaper in the end and have a better experience I would think.