Thread: Where to get good bead egg kit ?

Default Where to get good bead egg kit ?

I am looking for a high quality kit of bead eggs. I saw a really nice kit on Kaufman and Streamborns website last year but I cant find it there now. I am looking for a good kit as I will be taking a canoe fishing trip in Togiak nwf this coming August. Thought the bead egg kit would be good for the bows/dollies there. If anyone knows where I could get a nice kit I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

Default troutbeads.com

I've used these quite a bit and they are exceptional. Owner's name is Cameron and he is very helpful with recommendations for color, size, technique, etc ... you probably have your destination figured out but it's very nice when you go some place new.

www.troutbeads.com

Default Thanks big trout

I checked out the website you suggested and they do have a nice "Alaska kit". Pretty reasonable price too. Thanks for the tip! I may very well be feeding these to the bows in the Togiak Nwf this Aug. Nice kits. Still wish I could find that kit from Kaufman and Streamborn. It had hand painted beads, hooks, pegs, and all in it. Nice kit. But it was about $70 whereas this kit is only $29. Not hard to see where the value is.

Default Thanks big trout

I checked out the website you suggested and they do have a nice "Alaska kit". Pretty reasonable price too. Thanks for the tip! I may very well be feeding these to the bows in the Togiak Nwf this Aug. Nice kits. Still wish I could find that kit from Kaufman and Streamborn. It had hand painted beads, hooks, pegs, and all in it. Nice kit. But it was about $70 whereas this kit is only $29. Not hard to see where the value is.

black elk leather and beads
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Trout beads.com
    or
    Sportsmanwharehouse
    I bought mine from trout beads. great people there. I told them where I would be fishing and they gave me the size and color that would work for that river.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default P-Line kit

P-Line makes a decent kit with various colors and available in different sizes (6 & 8mm I think). Has a decent variety of colors and a handy little bead box too. Check it out at P-Line trout bead kit . I picked mine up at Sportsmans Warehouse, they had a bunch at the sportsmans show last year too.

Indeed, Troutbeads.com is probably the best place to pick up beads. From my experiences in southwest, any cream or swirl pattern in the peach/salmon/orange colors is my most constant producer (8mm). That said, if you are heading to the Togiak NWF (which I live near) don't get entirely caught up in the hoopla of beads. They certainly work...and well, but good old swingin flesh and black/white/purple boogers and leeches are just as affective...and they even qualify as a fly These fish see next to no pressure and are not like migrating Iliamna bows that seem to eat eggs or nothing...these are residents that still eat anything that is presented well. Ah, another good point...focus less on what color bead you are using and concentrate on your drift, once you've got that down, your selection of successful patterns gets much larger. A three dollar/hand painted/ glass bead from Black elk isn't worth a poo if it's swinging.

Ps. What river in the NWF are you going to?

If you want a complete kit, with weights, toothpicks, correct hooks and beads the right size and colors for fishing the Togiak, get it from World Wide Anglers in Anchorage. It is all packaged in a bead box, ready to go.

Personally, I paint and customize all of my beads, and use sources like TroutBeads and Black Elk and Leather. But if you are not into the details of knowing what you need for size and colors, and collecting all of the additional things you need, WWA kit is the way to go.

Just FYI every bead kit I've ever seen has had only about 15% in a color and size I would consider using. Of course if you are fishing for stupid fish in the middle of nowhere anything will work for little trout, but for smart big fish you must use good colors. My favorites are purple and rootbeer for fishing behind sockeye and a pinkish orange for fishing behind chums. The bright orange beads you find in kits are useless unless you are fishing in spring and want an atrractor over a nymph (which is a good setup!) or for sea run dollies who seem to like big orange things. as for hooks I like the mustad 5417 (I think I'm probably wrong) live bait hook, you can pick em up most places and I don't use toothpicks because its a waste of time, I also melt a lot of beads to hooks for use on the russian, like this

Others may swear by orange but they can come fish the russian with me and see how they do. I bet they don't get too many like this

Put together a kit yourself and you will save a lot of money and ultimently bring more fish to net.

I would go by World wide Anglers and they will set you up with the beads you will need and show you how to set up your bead rig. I can tell you what ak powder monkey said is not right. You should peg your bead, you will catch more fish and it is much better for the fish. I dont know about you but I have never seen a puperl egg floting down the river. I like to get my bead to look like the natural eggs that are in the river at the time. Orangish beads will be your best bet,and I know if I fished with one of my beads and ak powder monkey fished with your purple bead I would catch alot more and bigger fish then you

I have more hook ups w/o pegging beads did before if for no other reason then I have my line in the water more. As for purple I dunno why it works but it does, I've never seen anything purple in the water but the purple ESL is one of the best flies in existance. Its a showdown then purple vs oragne I'll meet you on the russian 6 am august 15

P.S. I've never seen an orange egg floating down a river the only times I've seen orange eggs is a) when I gut hens, and b) when I was a little kid and we were incubating eggs in the library for cambell creek.

Default A rainbow of colors (pun intended)

I'm not sure exactly how clear the Russian is but in the very clear waters I fish in Bristol Bay, the range of colors, shades, and patterns on eggs you see drifting downriver is tremendous (look in eddies and among any slow gravelly areas). You will see everything from a sheeny dark orange of a fresh egg to a nearly transparent dead egg and indeed some can look purply and there are lots of brown ones....most often what I see is a creamy orange or peachy color that signifies it is a dead egg...and these have been my best producers...Indeed, the super bright orange beads have not been very successful. I have even seen fair numbers of eggs that have what I call a blood spot....essentially just part of the egg that isn't dead yet so looks sheeny despite the rest being creamy orange. Now, like I said I fish dead eggs primarily (peach swirl, salmon swirl, orange swirl and the pearlescent versions of these troutbeads) When I have opened up dinner fish (usually dollies but sometimes a bow) they are normally 95 percent fresh looking eggs, but my success has been average at best on the classic painted bead....don't know why....perhaps because the creamy ones stick out from the fountain of eggs that is pouring down the river during sockeye spawning periods, and those seen in the slow shallows are probably selectively dead eggs. But, each river is different to a certain amount and even from day to day it can change....I've found that when there are few spawning salmon....nearly any color works...and equally well. At the start of the spawning period....the sheeny ones can produce...but once there is a glut of eggs (or god forbid a highwater event releases all the ones settled in aforementioned eddies) the fish are going to get very very selective until they are truly hungry again. I've had 50 fish dolly days followed by a big rain and the next day I got skunked on the same bead....and got very few on experimental colors even though I could sight fish the silly things. (these were dollies)....rainbows seem less selective and would bite every day....just better on some, and they react to swinging beads if you can put it on their nose.
    The other thing to think about is what kind of salmon river you are on. IF it's priimarily a sockeye river....the ages and conditions of the eggs are going to be somewhat homogenous....but, if it's like the Goodnews or other west side multi species (indeed all five in most) streams, a person could be fishing in late july and the fish have a smorgasbord of differing ages and size of eggs to choose from (10 mm old king eggs to 8 mm chum to 6 mm sheeny fresh sockeye eggs.) then you just need to tinker...but luckily with low pressure...you can probably use flesh and also do well, due to the dead chums and kings already fallin apart as the sockeyes get crankin....and the fact that the fish are thick, hungry and stupid...ok, it's paradise.

Catch it said it all about western streams, fish are thick hungry and stupid! I've only seen orange eggs when fishing behind kings and chums and they were very milky orange (peach?) which is why I say orange beads suck, peach beads don't when used correctly (behind chums and kings). Bright orange beads are great in the spring and anywhere the fish are, thick, hungry and stupid.