Thread: Any suggestions for Juneau duck hunting locations this weekend?

Default Any suggestions for Juneau duck hunting locations this weekend?

I am heading out Sat and Sun morning, I just don't know where yet. I do not have the course needed for the wetlands and I sold my boat, so any suggestions for hunting spots in the Juneau/Douglas area? I will have my kayak but would prefer not to have to paddle more than 100yards or so if there is any type of weather. Anyone have any input?

Also, I will have decoys but should I bother with calls at all? The one and only time I hunted ducks up here the calls didn't seem to help.

PM inbound...

You could try Cowee meadows for puddlers, or paddle that kayak out around the backside of Douglas for seaducks.

Calls don't do much for me either. A good spread is the key.
    Nice Marmot.

Any idea if the ponds out by Cowee are going to be frozen up? Twin lakes already has a good film on it. Was also thinking about paddling out to Indian Island. It's about .45 miles from the road and has a nice little cresent beach that might be worth trying. I just don't want to spend hours hiking around Sat just to find frozen ponds and no animals.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Any idea if the ponds out by Cowee are going to be frozen up? Twin lakes already has a good film on it. Was also thinking about paddling out to Indian Island. It's about .45 miles from the road and has a nice little cresent beach that might be worth trying. I just don't want to spend hours hiking around Sat just to find frozen ponds and no animals.
    I'd try the creek, or the estuary.
    Nice Marmot.

Where exactly is the estuary?

At the tidewater where the creek dumps into Berner's Bay. Never been out there this late in the season, but there's usually a bunch of ducks out there. Bit of a walk if the snow is deep though. There's a few little side sloughs on the creek that might be good if their not all frozen up. Options are pretty limited outside of the wetlands
    Nice Marmot.