Thread: need some info please

Default need some info please

friend of mine killed a black bear, although i have eaten wild meat from rabbits to moose i have never cooked
    bear, he gave me a back strap, can anyone tell me how i should cook this, and what can i expect as far as taste goes.

he tells me it should be cooked in crock pot for a long time.

he is also rendering down the fat to use in other cooking of deer , yall do that up there?, we render wild hogs down here for the lard when we have 5 or 6 hogs ccause they don't have much fat so takes few hogs to get a little lard

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

yup cook it slow!!! lightly season... and after about 6-hours in the crock add some taters and carrots..

good bear is better then moose or bou... it just takes longer to break down the mussel fibers are denser then that of roast of deer, beef, moose, etc... where a beef steak will have 10 grains per inch.. a bear will have 50 -100 grains per inch...( think rings on a tree)

i brown mine on all sides in hot oil and then slow cook all day long.. pulled BBQ bear and beans is a favorite in our house
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bear is good meat, but just be sure to trim off as much fat as possible. Many don't like the taste that bear fat adds. As for the meat, it's as good as any other wild grown, muscle-based protien.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Pan fried backstrap steaks are exelecent. Cook it any way you want but just be sure that the internal temp gets to at least 160f temp. That will get rid of any of the "bad" bugs.

My wife has a receipie for roasts that bastes the roast in brown sugar, bacon, spices and tequila. Try it once and you'll be hooked!!

....Black bear is what our family eats most, out of all wild game-

-the bear roasts seem to turn out really tender and tasty when I marinate 24 hrs prior with salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, and Ranch dressing(just slather that all around, like a paste)-

-put about 1" of water in the bottom of the pan,drizzle more Ranch dressing on top,stick your meat thermometer in real deep,and cook at 400 deg.(uncovered) until it hits 170 deg....and take out right away.
    I have found that overcooking makes roasts tough-
    -creates its own kind of gravy, too, with the Ranch-

-the crockpot method, as mentioned earlier, is awesome as well-

-we grind all other meat from the bears that aren't roast cuts...and grind , for yummy breakfast and Italian sausage-

...and a good berry bear has absolutely the BEST fat !
    -I render it down for pie crusts....

-I'll have to try your wife's recipie, saltwatertom!

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    friend of mine killed a black bear, although i have eaten wild meat from rabbits to moose i have never cooked
    bear, he gave me a back strap, can anyone tell me how i should cook this, and what can i expect as far as taste goes.

he tells me it should be cooked in crock pot for a long time.

he is also rendering down the fat to use in other cooking of deer , yall do that up there?, we render wild hogs down here for the lard when we have 5 or 6 hogs ccause they don't have much fat so takes few hogs to get a little lard

..whoops- I just now noticed you were asking about the backstraps....
    -real tasty-
    -I forgot about those...-we usually eat them right up, along with the tenderloin(even though small), and ribs....on the grill, right after harvesting one....
    -we like to wrap the backstraps with bacon and onion, and the Ranch dressing-- and double wrap in heavy duty foil, then grill-