Thread: Frozen to the ground

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Frozen to the ground

I have a 15' coleman, admittedly nothing special - but it works for our family. I rotated it around as we started getting frost, then the 75 mph gusts rotated it a little as well. The snow/onset of cold snuck up on me a little and my canoe is now nicely frozen to the ground. Is it stuck there until spring? Any advice on getting it off the ground without destroying it?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I have a 15' coleman, admittedly nothing special - but it works for our family. I rotated it around as we started getting frost, then the 75 mph gusts rotated it a little as well. The snow/onset of cold snuck up on me a little and my canoe is now nicely frozen to the ground. Is it stuck there until spring? Any advice on getting it off the ground without destroying it?
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Do not use a sledge hammer!

I would use a pot of hot water. Pour it around the rail and then pop it up. Once part of it is up, you can gently pry it up with a bar. If your rails are wooden, then you need to be much more gentle.
    It should be fine though frozen in, at least it won't blow away!

Default Yup, hot water and a 2x4 to pry with.

Then get yourself some saw horses for next time. Tie each end to a concrete block so it won't blow off.

I'd do it with a tarp and jet heater, I think the hot water will freeze too fast and then you'll be fighting it too. Thats my opinion
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Yup Spring

Wait for spring, nothing is going to hurt it unless it fills with water, we'll get some warm days again and it will come loose.

I typically store my canoes upside down, so there are only two real contacts with the ground. No issues with it freezing in place or collecting water/snow inside. You just need to have something to brace it so it won't fall over. I can have it leaning against the back of my garage and tarped over (to protect from weathering and sunlight mostly).

Also, I would recommend against storing it on it's side. I have seen a number of canoes with the sidewalls warped severely or even caved in from heaving snows. Canoes aren't meant to take a load in that direction so don't always hold up too well.

Ulless you are going to use it for a sled this winter, or its in the way, leave it til spring.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have to move it before spring because I have been renting and closed on a house today. I'll probaby try the hot water first and if it doesn't work I'll move on to the heater/tarp approach.

The only reason it ended up right side up is because of the fun gusting wind we had a few weeks ago. At the new place it will be stored under a carport, or in the garage.

If you want to break out the garden hose, cold water works just as well as hot.

garden hose and water at 20 below, I just don't think that would work very well. If you don't have a jet heater I'd lend you one for the day to get the job done. Let me know if you would like to use it, I am up at the end of church road.
    Μολών λαβέ

Iron artist, True story:

We drilled the well at the Northway laundry mat, and it was in between -20 to -40 at the time. anybody that has been to Northway knows what kinda of permafrost they have to deal with there.

Well we drilled said well, pulled out all the drill stems, and left.

A few days later we got this call and they said they could'nt get the pump in, it would only go down about 10', hmmm, so we thought about ice, and loaded up the steam boiler and headed back down there.

Worked on that thing for 2 days and only got about 30 feet in that weather. always something breaking down.

Then the boss said you got a garden hose, they found one and we just turned it on and let it run all night going over there a bout every hour to feed it in a little lower. ( they had another well that the water was'nt that good, the reason for us being there)

All said and done, went through almost 90' of ice in differant patchs down the pipe in one day with cold water. I know its hard to believe it would be that deep, we were saying when is this going to end? We ended up installing the pump and heat tape while we were there.

Water is more than 32degrees coming out of the ground.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

Default true story

It'll freeze in the hose, if it didn't I'd be watering my horses in the winter time like that but instead it's buckets. You ever try to roll up a frozen hose, it don't work very well.
    Μολών λαβέ

I did'nt say you could stop the flow. geessh

How do you think that man in fairbanks built his Ice tower?

He just kept the water running all the time and just keep moving the hose higher.

When your pipes start to frezze, or there is a warning that they might frezze, what is the first thing they tell you to do? Let a little water run through the sinks til you can get it under control, or the weather turns for the better for you.

Default move canoe

it is a colmen the plastic needs to be warmed up above freezing some use a space heater an a tarp or water will work it won't take much even an old hair drier an a tarp will work , as long as it is on top an not down in the mud warm it up an use a pry bar [ 2 X 4 ] dont get to carried away with

Default Thanks

I really love to read some articles that have great positive impacts on its reader and benefit by reading such article. I admire these writers in sharing their views and or opinions that can enlighten the mind of the readers. Great Job and continue inspiring readers.

Gold Coins

Two words Herman Nelson.
    Tim

Default Got it out this afternoon

I took advantage of the heat wave this afternoon. I got out the short garden hose so I wouldn't have to fight so much frozen rope on the way back to the garage but it didn't reach all the way. Sprayed water for five minutes and it came off the ground great. My thumb was numb and I'm sure I looked like an idiot, watering the lawn in 6 degree weather.

Iron artist, thanks for the offer on the heater - glad it didn't come to that. And thanks to everyone else for all the advice.

Default great

Did you get a few pictures of this in action? Guess it may have been a wee bit to chilly. Glad you got it out and now you can move it. Great advise from you all.