Thread: Bison load

Default Bison load

Ok since i got my gpr hunter ive been wondering if its legal for bison. I know it will work but does it meet the 2000ft/lbs@100yards requirment. 54 cal,425 great plains not sure on powder load yet im still workin on it. Im just wondering. Thanks Hillbilly

According to the Lyman manual, with your 32" barrel and the very similar Lyman cast 54 caliber #548657 (450 grains), you break into the 2000fpe bracket with 110 grains of Goex 2f, or 100 grains of Pyrodex RS or Select. I'm here to tell you that load is a stomper...... At both ends. I get best accuracy with that bullet when I put a lubed felt wad between the powder and bullet, BTW.

Default Thanks

Thanks Brownbear. I figured you would have a answer for me. sounds like i should have that crescent butstock in the right place. Ive been reading allot about the no excuses bullets. Have you ever used them? I see they have a 535 grainer! Ouch!

I hear good things about them, but I don't have any firsthand experience.

As for the crescent buttplate, don't make the mistake of tucking that into your shoulder over your collar bone like a regular rifle!!!

Try this:

Put your hand right on the ball of your shoulder and start raising your arm. As your arm gets up just parallel with the ground, you'll feel a little pocket form on your arm just outside the ball of your shoulder. That's where the buttplate is supposed to go, with the points above and below your arm. You can shoot some amazingly heavy loads with the butt out there "where it belongs."

Before moving on to heavy loads, I'd practice that hold for awhile with lighter round ball loads, just to get in the habit. You'll be GLAD you did. I'd try 60 grains of Goex 3f or Pyrodex P under a .530 ball and a .015 or .018 patch. Should be terrifically accurate in your gun and fun to shoot.

Mmmm. One more bit of advice. Get yourself a can of brake cleaner and put some on patches, and clean the bore real well. Lyman uses some kind of bore grease that's just about impossible to remove with conventional cleaning products. But you need to get it out for ease of loading and for accuracy. Brake cleaner takes it out with about three patches and a couple of passes each. Really a good solvent for that particular grease.

I've been shooting a .54 for about 30 years now (renegade). According to the hunt regs it is legal for bison. I would'nt hesitate to use it, the one hunt I got to tag along on I carried it. Every animal I have ever shot withit dropped in it's tracks. This is one very potent gun. I use maxi balls with Thomsons new lube.

I love this gun, it is my favorite hunt rifle.

Default Thanks brownbear

I took you advice when i bought it and cleaned it with the brake cleaner. That stuff in the barrel was nasty. Im hoping to get to the range soon. Tom i have no doubt it will do the job i was worried about the 2000ft lbs at 100 yards rule. Hillbilly