Thread: DA .475 Linebaugh

Default DA .475 Linebaugh

Does anyone here know of a place that makes double-action revolvers in .475 Linebaugh? I've seen Bowen Classic Arms, but was wondering if there are any others. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

gritlife

You might contact Gary Reeder. I know he does single action in .475, a buddy of mine has one of his. I believe he is in AZ. Believe he's on the web. Try to google him.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

If they can do a 5 shot 475 on a SB frame, I would think they could do a 5 shot 475 cylinder for the SRH. Not sure on length.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I know Jack Huntington has built them on the ruger srh, possibly also on the redhawk.

Then again you can just get a ruger 480, have a custom mold made to produce an extra long nose bullet that provides the same powder capacity as the 475 L, and load up until you say uncle.

2nd from the right, 400 gr XLFN gc.

I've been content to launch them 1200 fps, my shooting partner was pushing them 1350 fps and still hadn't reached max loads. That extra 150 fps sure makes for a dramatic increase in recoil.

The bullet on the far right is a 460 gr, had to be crimped to the first lube groove, and can be driven 1100 fps. It's not idealized for the srh cylinder and I'd wager one could come up with a cylinder filling 450 gr bullet that could be launced at near 1200 fps.

With all that said, I find 475 and 500 linebaugh level loads to be unsuitable for a DA revolver. That much recoil straight back into the web of your hand is brutal. The ruger bisley and FA 83 single actions are much better platforms for heavy recoiling handguns, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by gritlife View Post
    Does anyone here know of a place that makes double-action revolvers in .475 Linebaugh? I've seen Bowen Classic Arms, but was wondering if there are any others. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

gritlife
    Didn't Bowen make a .577 revolver on a Redhawk frame?
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Then again you can just get a ruger 480, have a custom mold made to produce an extra long nose bullet that provides the same powder capacity as the 475 L, and load up until you say uncle.

With all that said, I find 475 and 500 linebaugh level loads to be unsuitable for a DA revolver. That much recoil straight back into the web of your hand is brutal. The ruger bisley and FA 83 single actions are much better platforms for heavy recoiling handguns, IMHO.
    Thanks for the info.

That 400gr LFNGC looks like a shooter...I'd bet it's accurate at distance. I never thought to sit a .480 bullet out to gain the case capacity of a .475 Linebaugh. Very nice.

I have got to shoot a F/A to see what all the fuss is about. They say those things are built like a bank vault, but I have always prefered DA...only because I have NEVER shot a SA revolver. I suppose the grip configuration/look of SA hasn't really appealed to me.

I own a John Ross 500. Most loads I shoot are pretty hot and I figured the recoil from a SRH in .475 wouldn't be much different.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    You might contact Gary Reeder. I know he does single action in .475, a buddy of mine has one of his. I believe he is in AZ. Believe he's on the web. Try to google him.
    You can find his web site by googling Reeders Custom Firearms. He makes top notch single and double action revolvers, Contenders, Encores, and custom single shot and lever action rifles. His shop is located in Flagstaff, AZ. I traded a guy for one of Reeders Nighthawk revolvers, Redhawk in 41 GNR, 3 " barrel (44 mag brass necked down to .410) It is a fine piece of craftsmanship and slick as butter. He has a listing of all his models on the web, most of which are his necked down wildcat cartidges. If you order his reloading manual, he has all the cutom load data and has taken world class book specimens from all over the world all the way up to the biggest critters around. Very nice guy to boot.