Thread: Ugly stik fly rod

Default Ugly stik fly rod

Has anyone ever tried one? I am going to buy a new rod for the Kenai for reds. Any other rods in that price range? I like Ugly Stiks for AK and they are indestructable.

in that price range..tfo

Fred Meyers had some decent rods at one point..dont remember the name of them, but they ran about 80 bucks if I remember right.

for reds in the kenai I'd go with a 9wt something fairly fast action. My go to is a 7wt rod but for some reason when flipping for reds I like a regular IM6 (read cheap) 9wt. I picked mine up from Eilers rod shop before he moved back south.

Default Ugly Stick spinning rods...

are sure tough enough. If you try the fly rod and get into an epic struggle or two, let us know. If their fly rods are as tough as their spinning rods, all you have to do is hang on and hope your line doesn't part.

Default Fly-fishing Rx

Having fought with "fisherman's elbow" for most of my adult life, I tend to lean toward lighter, faster action rods these days. Ugly Sticks are durable, but a fly-casting tool they are not and given the repetitive action of flipping for reds, I don't think I'd go down that road. I know I've spent more on pain medication, cortizone shots, rolfing treatments and other remedies than I would have spent on a high quality fast action rod. There are some deals on decent rods out there, but I refuse to go cheap anymore; It's just too expensive If your budget won't allow a better quality rod, I'd look for something in the Fenwick or Pflueger line. You can often pick these up late in the season for 50 bucks or less. I'd definitely look for something with a faster and lighter tip than the ugly stick's gonna offer.

Thumbs down Ugly Stick Fly Rod For Reds

On my first trip to the Situk for Reds I thought an Ugly Stick Fly rod.........$29.95 great I'll get one!! Big mistake, far too heavy to use all day, only the last foot would bend giving the fish a tremendous mechanical leverage advantage on my arm. By the end of the week I had tendonitis in my forarm.

My advice, get a $80-$100 8wt rod from Cabelas. It will be worth ever penny!!!
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Thumbs down Not worth it

Pick up an ugly stik fly rod, and then pick up just about any other fly rod, and you'll feel the difference... the ugly stik's are just too darn heavy.

Lot's of good options listed above that will suit you better for flippin' reds. You don't need to break the bank to flip reds, but find something that won't make you think your arm is going to fall off by the end of the day.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I used an Ugly Stick fly rod on the Russian River for many years. Then I picked up a Lamiglas Fly Rod on sale from Fred Meyer's at the Sportsman's Show and that made the fishing much more enjoyable. The Ugly Stick is just too heavy.

I picked up a Loomis GL3 two piece rod on sale and that will be my new Russian River rod with the Lamiglas as a backup.

I have an Uglystick 8-9wt saltwater fly rod that I used for stripping streamers for silvers off a boat in PWS. It is heavy, but has a good action for saltwater. I've even caught 30+ lb kings on it in saltwater. I wouldn't recommend it for freshwater, just a tad too heavy for enjoyable repeated casting.

Why do you want that heavy of wt for a flyrod to catch reds? I use a 3wt for river fishing reds and silvers on the Nushagak and Togiak rivers. A 5-7wt might be a better choice, especially in a graphite rod.

anyone else halibut fish with fly rods
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink Ugly Stik Fly Rod

Way too heavy...they'll easily handle 6-ft sharks with a good reel and 12-14 wt line and steel leader. 7 wt at most for reds.

AkPm,

I tried it with a 12 wt...had enough line to make the bottom even (a deepwater express head). Thought I felt it but wasnt sure....ended up missing one. Had to much current the few times I gave it a go and never tried again....that was one thing I regretted NOT going after while I was skippering. We always had a FEW days of fishing for fun on our days off thrown in during the summers. Oh well maybe someday down the road.

It is like using a telephone pole. I even had a hard time roll casting with it since it was such a stiff pole. No action whatsoever.
    Just my $0.02

My uncle uses one for salmon, we call it called the telephone pole.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Any other rods in that price range?
    I'd take a look at the WW Griggs...