Thread: Kenai red rod

Default Kenai red rod

What is your favorite rod for fishing Reds on the Kenai? I had good success with an 8'6'' ugly stik. My son is comign up with me this year and i want to buy him a good rod. Any thoughts?

Default Lamiglass

I use an 8'6" Lamiglass Kenai Special with a Shimano Cardiff Reel. Its a sweet setup. I use it for just about everything.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    What is your favorite rod for fishing Reds on the Kenai? I had good success with an 8'6'' ugly stik. My son is comign up with me this year and i want to buy him a good rod. Any thoughts?
    I would say its pretty hard to beat that when your just flipping.
    I do like Lamiglas rods myself though.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Try a flyrod...

...the guys that I've let use mine have switched pronto and headed to Trustworthy. You can fish all day with minimal fatigue and any red can be landed on a 8 wt (my 1st flyrod) but I bought a backup 9wt Lamiglass last year (& reel) from TW, was economical and I think it's perfect!
    Come on, make the switch!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    ...the guys that I've let use mine have switched pronto and headed to Trustworthy. You can fish all day with minimal fatigue and any red can be landed on a 8 wt (my 1st flyrod) but I bought a backup 9wt Lamiglass last year (& reel) from TW, was economical and I think it's perfect!
    Come on, make the switch!
    Jim
    Second that... fly rod is the way to go.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I guess my question would be, how much are you looking to spend? If this is a trip for a day or two a simple Walmart special salmon combo cheapie setup would be about the cheapest. If you're looking to keep the setup as a backup for yourself I like the ugly stik option with a Abu Garcia C4 reel (I carry this as a backup, 2 piece, 7' rod). I find the Cabelas whoopin' stick rod a fun rod to use on Reds in the Russian/Kenai as well. It's a cheap rod that's never given me any problems and the kids beat the heck out of it. Personally though, my favorite is an 8wt, 9.5 ft, st. croix fly rod with Waterworks Guru fly reel. I use this for targeting Reds, Silvers, Trout, pretty much everything in the Kenai system. I bought the rod through Clayton McDowell who custom makes the handles on the rod.

Garage-sale halibut rod with 50 lb test. That way you can hook-and-drag w/out the fish getting out of your dedicated 3-foot slot on the river and causing an uproar from all the rude jerks next to you because you can't control your fish and heaven forbid they stop fishing for a nano-second so you can land it.

Used to be when you yelled "Fish On!" people had common courtesy and would pull their line from the water and give you room to fight your fish to shore. That ain't how it is now, though, and why the Russian River is a thing of my past. Honestly not sure what the point in yelling that is now, since it is largely ignored or used as a way for people to sneak into your spot.

But, that's just me. I can't take impatient, stupid, arrogant people telling me how to fish the hole I've fished since the 70's. Times, they are a'changin'.

Go with what the guys say...it's good advice. Just had to rant for a moment...

Default Good Advice Across the Board

Medium to medium light action rod. I've been happy with Ugly Sticks too; fly, cast and spinning. I don't recommend going much cheaper; sockeyes are strong fish and snap a lot of rods. Good reel that you're comfortable and confident using is important; especially when the red you just lined bolts for the fast water.