Thread: mink sets. am I doing something wrong?

Default mink sets. am I doing something wrong?

I have six 120 coni. traps set in flower pot cubbies along the bank of a the river. I am using pieces of salmon belly tied in the back as bait. I have placed these sets along the bank in little alcoves, or under cutbanks. I checked my traps today, and had saw a couple of fresh sets of mink tracks traveling along the bank. judging by the tracks none of my sets have even gotten a response from the mink. they just travel right past without even slowing down. am I using the wrong kind of set? The wrong bait? Are my traps in the wrong spot. Or am I just impatient, does it just take more time? ( traps have been set for five days now).

Thanks for any suggestions for a rookie.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I would say they just havent smelled it yet Are you also useing a lure.
    I would set a blind set right on there trail.

Default Mink

You will get a lot more action using a commerical mink lure rather than bait. The small fish doesn't hurt but the mink lure will bring them to your set. I prefer Hawbeckers Mink lure No 1 and have good luck. I use natural holes close to where they travel rather than pots or newspaper tubes. I have six sets for mink (120's)and have harvested three so far this season. Good Luck!!

I will take fish oil and drizzle it from my set to the water line or to the top of the bank. They follow it right in.

I agree with the above - if I could only pick one of the two to use, it would be lure over bait. I also think they just haven't smelled it yet. Usually mink are not prone to refusals. Fish oil or a lure would probably help you out. Many mink gland lures would be good, another besides those which has worked for me is Blackie's "Money Maker".
    AKtrapper26 on T-man

Default thanks

thanks for the suggestions. I guess I better come up with some lure.

....I may be wrong(sorry if I am, I will go check the regs again)-
    but, all these years I thought that we weren't allowed to use any fish parts for bait in our sets,on the Kenai...?

The parts of the fish I am using are not reqired to be salvaged so I'm pretty sure they are ok to use as bait. I have also heard of several people using herring as bait. I might try this to see if it works better. I know you can't use fish at bear bait stations, but I don't think this applies to trapping.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

you can also use any fish that the regs dont have a season or a limit set on them.... Like open year around and no limit. Like pike.
    Has anyone tried alaska fish fertalizer i seen some the other day and thought it might work its cheap and realy smells like rotten fish.

I would say put in some blind sets and watch your luck change.
    I had a bunch of sets just like you last year, the mink walked by so close it could not have missed the smell of the bait. Like 2 feet away. Did not even break stride.
    Maybe in the early season, they still have plenty of food.
    Certainly the lure is worth a try. Something with a lot of mink musk.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhunter View Post
    The parts of the fish I am using are not reqired to be salvaged so I'm pretty sure they are ok to use as bait. I have also heard of several people using herring as bait. I might try this to see if it works better. I know you can't use fish at bear bait stations, but I don't think this applies to trapping.
    ....Wow...I didn't know this- -(sorry!)
    -I guess I just assumed it- an assumption on the side of caution, but I was wrong, nevertheless-

-this changes a lot for us, as far as bait availability-
    -we have usually used beaver castor, and beaver lure in the past-
    never had a problem catching mink, and marten, with that-

I've not had alot of luck with mink myself, but someone who's opinion I highly respect told me that Ermine glands work terrific. Mink and ermine are natural enemies and a mink will try to kill every weasel it come across.

(-we have usually used beaver castor, and beaver lure in the past)
    ...I forgot to add, we use our actual ground castors previously caught and frozen, plus store-bought lure;
    -both, together

herring works great!

Default Patience Grasshopper!

Mink are great travellers. buck mink will travel the most area. It wouldnt be uncmmon for a mink to take a week to ten days to cover all of his territtory, place your sets along natural travel ways for mink, and or mink sign, tracks, scat etc. no sense trapping an area if there isnt any sign. good baits to use if using baited cubbies are herring, and I had excellent results with bird carcasses after edible meat has been used. hang in ther and have some patience as the mink will eventually return, one day you check and there will be old bushy tail in your conibear, maybe even a double if lucky, a good lure to try would be lenons " mink all call" I taken 6 mink this season so far using it along with some fish oil.

Good luck
    Doug

Default Make em look

I would say that when a mink runs by your set all it takes is a quick glance in the bucket to satisfy its curiousity. If you make it harder for the mink to take it all in with one quick glance, often they will pursue it further. Also, it is a good method to use baits that are native to the water you are trapping, although we all know they can be caught with foreign baits too. Another trick is to use muskrat lure (glands), remember that mink love muskrats. And don't forget you can use a piece of muskrat meat in your mink pocket set if you don't eat it all yourself. Now get out there and spring some steel.