Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Calling in the Winter?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    26

    Default Calling in the Winter?

    What call do you use for winter hunt ( for Bulls)

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    well after the rut.... a loud...













    here moosie moosie... is about all that works....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Around here a chainsaw works well. Every time I cut a tree down in the winter w/ in 24 hours I have moose in the yard working the branches over.

  4. #4
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Is there even a winter bull hunt in most areas?

    If there was I'm not sure I would want to eat one.

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Is there even a winter bull hunt in most areas?

    If there was I'm not sure I would want to eat one.
    Not in most areas, but there are at least a few. The winter hunt on Ft. Rich is an either sex tag, and there's the late November bull hunt in Fairbanks.

  6. #6

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Not in most areas, but there are at least a few. The winter hunt on Ft. Rich is an either sex tag, and there's the late November bull hunt in Fairbanks.
    Way more Winter Hunts for Moose this year, than there has been recently. Looking over the Reg Book, I was quite suprised at all the new winter hunts that came up this year. I think anyone wanting/needing a moose should have no problem in getting one or two this winter.

    Calling in winter??? I have no clue what might work. I would rely on the the animals being in the same spot for a long time, so if you find recent sign, I would bet they are within easy walking distance of the bed or tracks. A good time for practicing your Still Hunting Technique. Young hunters will need to google up Still Hunting. It is not as it sounds.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Is there even a winter bull hunt in most areas?
    Yep. Looks like I might proxy hunt for an old guy in 16B after the New Year. It just opened this week, but I'm waiting for better ice and snow. I'll definately be hunting for spike/forks or small bulls. I don't think the big dominant bulls are going to be very tasty. However, they did have a very easy October and early November, so maybe they will be just fine.

    My plan is to snowmachine until I flush one out.. It's a subsitance hunt after all.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  8. #8

    Default

    Find a good food source in moosey looking country and imitate some moose eating, that's about the only type of calling that might work.

  9. #9
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    +1 for the chainsaw. Growing up cutting wood in the winter we were cutting on the butt of a tree and had moose eating the other end many times.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  10. #10

    Default Winter Moose Calling

    I've had a couple experiences calling moose in winter. Both times I had already spotted bulls and calling drew them in closer. I got two very large bulls that were hanging together to respond to calls during mid November once and then a few years ago on Fort Rich calling lured in a bull that was hanging just outside of bow range. That was in mid December. My guess it is just curiosity that caused these animals to respond.

    That being said I wouldn't use calling as a winter technique in the classic sense of calling blind and hoping for a response, but I think it is a tool to keep in your belt as a last ditch effort to get a bull you've already spotted to come closer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •