Thread: clorox for cleaning aluminum boats

Default clorox for cleaning aluminum boats

has anyone heard of clorox bleach having adverse affects on aluminum when used for cleaning.

I don't think it's going to cause any issue/damage - I've washed down my aluminum boats for years with a weak bleach/water mix after big fishing outings, never had a problem.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I read somewhere salt water, bleach and aluminum will make a battery and will eat through the aluminum. I read this about aluminum boats but I can't remember where I read it. I would choose a different cleaner. Try an experiment with the combo on aluminum foil let it soak for a day or two and check out the results.

Mike

Thumbs down I've heard it's a bad mix

I think because of it's high PH level, it causes exessive oxidization. Google it up to be sure.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default go to this website

go to uptons.com
    you will find what you need for cleaning your boat, just get the name and go from there, i also use a cleaner for cleaning the coils in a meat coolers, does a real good job and is cheap

Why not try some Simple Green? I've used it to degrease heavy equipment for years. It's not poison and won't burn holes in your clothes or anything else for that matter. I mix 50/50 and apply with a pump up garden sprayer or just any old spray bottle will do...wait 10 minutes and hose it off. Super tough spots may need a little personal attention. It is very safe..you can drink it..and not very expensive.

Default Bleach and Aluminum -- Poor Compatability

Clorox bleach is sodium hypochorite which is made by reacting chlorine with sodium hydroxide. Manufacuturers produce bleach with a bit of excess sodium hydroxide (caustic) to stabilize it and give the bleach solution more shelf life. Aluminum is not complatible with caustic. Although the caustic strength is very low, I would not use bleach to clean my aluminum boat. I worked for several years in a plant that produced chlorine, caustic, and bleach, and I have seen an 8% caustic solution destroy aluminum siding very quickly. Below is some chemical compatibility information that I found on the Cole-Parmer web site.

The Material Selected Aluminum
    Interacting with the Chemical Sodium Hypochlorite (<20%)
    Has a Compatibility Level of D-Severe Effect

The Material Selected Aluminum
    Interacting with the Chemical Sodium Hydroxide (20%)
    Has a Compatibility Level of D-Severe Effect

Default Bleach

I have been using Bleach to clean my aluminum boats for the last 35 years and have not had any problems. Works great for cleaning the slim growth off. Just spray it on an hose it off. Also will make the none skid on the back deck look like new.

Default Maybe OK

Captaindd,

I agree that a quick application with a thourough rinse is probably OK. I would just make darn sure that undiluted Clorox doesn't pool up and remain in a location where it may degrade the aluminum.