Thread: Feeding issues on Rem 700

Default Feeding issues on Rem 700

I replaced the stock on my Rem 700 with a Holland Laminate and it seems to have effected the feeding of the rifle. The first round feeds fine but the second round's rim stays too low for the bolt to catch and push forward. Prior to putting on the new stock I had some issues with this but it seems to have gotten worse. Any ideas on how to remedy? I was thinking about trying to stretch the magazine spring a bit so it would push the rounds up harder.

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    I replaced the stock on my Rem 700 with a Holland Laminate and it seems to have effected the feeding of the rifle. The first round feeds fine but the second round's rim stays too low for the bolt to catch and push forward. Prior to putting on the new stock I had some issues with this but it seems to have gotten worse. Any ideas on how to remedy? I was thinking about trying to stretch the magazine spring a bit so it would push the rounds up harder.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Is this an ADL or BDL rifle? It could be several things. Since it showed some problems before the stock switch I would guess it is the a simple issue. Check the magazine box and make certain it is sits correctly in the action. Maybe The Kid or gunbugs will enter this thread, if not you might PM them and see what they recommend.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm just guessing here, and I'm not the expert, but it may have to do with the width and/or the lips on the magazine box.

For example, does the newer stock fit tighter or looser, around the box?

Also, It shouldn't hurt to stretch the magazine spring a bit, and make sure it's not backwards, too.

There could be a difference in magazine box height if your going from an ADL to BDL or vise versa.

?????

OH how I hate Feeding Problems.

If a Gunsmith excels in that, he should advertise the fact. I betcha he'd get a lotta business.

Notta Gun Smitty of the North

Default without looking it over

I would guess that the new stock might be squeezing the magazine box. It sometimes would amaze you how little it takes to put the magazine box out of alignment enough so that it won't allow the next shell to come up into position. Also could you of possibly tweaked the box slightly when you had it apart? Another point could be that the bottom metal isn't seated far enough down in the stock allowing the box to seat down on the floorplate but not up against the receiver.

Just a couple of possible causes, may be something totally different, but without having a looksee its hard to tell.

when i had a similar problem, light washers took the pressure off the stock screws and improved feed and function.

i also use 65 inch pounds (torque wrench) in the forward screw, and just snug the rear stock screw.

good luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

It's an ADL. From what I could tell it seemed to fit into the new stock without any issues. I doubt I put the spring in backwards but I will double check that. Again, it seems the ramp inside the magazine is just tilted a bit up in the front causing the back of the ramp to dip down a bit so the bolt just misses the cartridge rim.

Thanks again,
    Mike

If it was giving you intermittent problems before you ghanged the stock, I would replace the mag spring with a new one of the known correct type. Be aware that Remington lists about a dozen different springs for 700's. Also make sure that your ADL box is secured to the reciever with the screw through the tab and that it hasn't at some point in the past been replaced with a BDL, shorter box. Don't "stretch" the spring, That will only weaken or fatigue it over time. The correct, new spring will probably take care of the issue. But as the previous posters have mentioned, the box must be correct as well. Good luck!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson, 1785