Thread: I have 6 Grand

Smile I have 6 Grand

to spend this summer for my brother and I to spend a week fishing this summer during the month of July.I have done the Kenai thing and would find something more remote or at least not so crowded.We would like to fish the salt for some kings and also for halibut.I am currently looking at Yakutat but maybe I should look at Kodiak?Anyway your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike Cooley

I'd be looking at some of the deals offered on Prince of Wales Island.

However, there are lots of other options out there, Kodiak would certainly fit the bill, as would some places in Prince William Sound.

Are you looking for a lodge based trip, a fly-in daily thing or a camping style adventure?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Most likely a lodge but not a fancy one Would like to have a river to fish when not on a charter and also would like to do a one day fly out Can you do a one day fly out to the Nushagak from Anchorage?

Buy a boat for me and I'll take you fishing
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I believe he wants to catch fish, not go for a boat ride with a kid.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by LufkinMike View Post
    Most likely a lodge but not a fancy one Would like to have a river to fish when not on a charter and also would like to do a one day fly out Can you do a one day fly out to the Nushagak from Anchorage?
    I'm sure you could do a fly-in to the Nush on a day trip, but that would eat into your budget significantly. From what it sounds like you might want to look into possibly doing a Kodiak, or POW trip. There are some budget minded outfits on both islands that would offer what you are looking for.

I had some links to a couple of those types of businesses, I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

Thank you for your help

You should give Jeff at Kodiak Combos a call. He can provide what you are asking for. Great guy, and great lodging. The wife and I will be going back for sure. He is based from Old Harbor, Kodiak.

Steve

I'd save it and go moose hunting in mid September, but that's just me.

I'd buy a toy and take yourself fishing, ( boat- 4-wheeler -snowmachine, for Ice fishing)

Other than that another place to check out is the King Salmon, Naknak area. Might get some Bou hunting in to.

Well Mike.......with that kind of money buy me a beer when you'r here and I'll tell you!!!
    I'd go to Kodiak. I can't remember if you've been there? Beautiful place. Awesome fishing. Kings can be had trolled pretty easily. GREAT butt fishing. Some very cool places to go to get away Port lyons, ouzinki.
    The island is different from the north to the south. Totally different climate in a way. It's still a real Alaskan fishing town, and is pretty neat b/c of it.

If you can put it off until August, PM me...

to spend this summer for my brother and I to spend a week fishing this summer during the month of July.I have done the Kenai thing and would find something more remote or at least not so crowded.We would like to fish the salt for some kings and also for halibut.I am currently looking at Yakutat but maybe I should look at Kodiak?Anyway your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike Cooley

Mike,

Any interest in a remote float trip? There are many good rivers for a first time float trip. Just you and your brother floating down a river, camping, fishing, drinking liquor by the fire. You could take a ten day float trip and have an absolute ball. Not sure if this is of interest, but in my opinion there is no better way to see Alaska. Happy to share some info if you want to send me a PM. It is a lot easier to do than you might think. Just takes good planning and some insights on the area/river/timing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Have a look at these guys. I did a trip with them a few years ago and it was awesome. http://www.alaskawildernesssafari.com/index.html

we have a nice place on prince of Wales island. Salmon Shores.
    feel free to look us up. PM set with link

If the 6 grand has to cover airfare for both, you aren't going to get much that includes 7 days of fishing, if you go to a lodge.. Beware of the cheaper lodges too, as you get what you pay for! I'd rather do 3 days of fishing with a top notch operation than 7 days of having some kid from down south as a guide, in a less productive area.

If you do Prince of Wales, I would recommend going out on the west coast. Craig has some very good guides. It's about as good as it gets for kings and halibut, when you have a guide who knows his business.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Thanks

Mike Cooley
    Arrive Monday and fish that afternoon, then Tuesday, Wed, Thur, Friday morning and leave that afternoon, $6000 for 2, with $3000 down. July 19th-23rd 2010 open.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I believe he wants to catch fish, not go for a boat ride with a kid.....
    this made me laugh
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks

Mike Cooley
    Not sure where you live or where you're coming from. Having done it a few times, I suggest that you try to stretch it out to 2 weeks. This allows for a late run or crummy weather. It takes an entire day flying from the east coast. You'll want to maximize your time up there and take it all in.

JMHO