Thread: Pitch on a prop

Default Pitch on a prop

I have a 26 hewes and run with a 15 pitch. What does the 15 do for me that a 16 or a 17 wouldn't do?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gray, I am in the process of trying to find the best prop as well. I tried a solas 14 1/4 X 17 pitch and the fuel econ was great with it. Problem was that I couldn't get it up to RPM. I ended up with the 15 1/4 X 15 pitch and now can get to RPM range but have lost some of the fuel econ. Supprisingly the top speed is about the same since the 17 couldn't get all the way up to RPM. I read a report from someone that had tested several props and what I noticed by the report was that while the 17 pitch prop had better fuel econ at higher speed running at optimum speed for fuel the 15 pitch actually got better mpg, I don't run at 23mph though ;-). I am hooking up my GPS to the fuel management system next spring and I am going to be trying a 13 3/4 X 17 pitch Yamaha prop and compare to see what prop runs best for my boat. I am hoping the 13 3/4 X 17 will get me 32mph at 10gph and 5000 RPM's. With the Yamaha's we need to be able to hit 5500 RPM but I am thinking if you are hitting 6000 RPM you should be able to change to a 17 pitch same dia and be able to get 5600 RPM and be good and gain some fuel and possibly speed. Your situation is a bit different as you probably want to make sure that your motors can turn the prop well enough when you are down to one motor.

Anyways for what its worth!

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thanks. It's a tough call on wether to switch or not. 59rpm I'm running about 34mph this is on a good calm day.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Alum. or SS Prop?

If your still using a alum prop switch to an SS prop and stay with current pitch, you will lose some RPM and gain some Top speed. The Yamaha saltwater series II props are very aggressive and stiff, Solas props tend to be a little less aggressive. Work with your dealer for free trial runs before you buy.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

I run with SS
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default multiple props

I carry several different pitch props, each has its purpose. I carry an 11 1/2, 13 and 15 for my 30 HP yami on a 13.2 Whaler. The 11.5 is a load packer, I load a moose, two hunters, with all our gear, get easily on step and motor away. The 13 is an all purpose unit, it attains maximun RPM at full throttle with a medium load. When I am travel long distances, just me, minumum gear and fuel, I use the 15, which, takes longer to get on step and longer to accelerate, but I end up at the best fuel per mile rpm and speed. I stopped using SS after losing a shalt. Just some thoughts