Thread: Just starting

Question Just starting

Looking to pick up two ATVs in the spring when I return to Alaska. The primary use will be for hunting, but the wife wants them for playing around.

I have never owned a 4 wheeler so I am just trying to figure out which ones would be best suited for hunting and playing in the mud.

Also if you are looking to sale yours I may be interested in buying, however it will probably be mid spring when I will actually be on the market for one.

If you all have any advice for me I am glad to here it.

Thanks,
    Dave

Default i ride

arctic cats trv 650 and love them do to stability as they art just and a foot longer then the regular four wheeler
    with that being said a lot of great machines out there
    but i would not be concerned about the belt drive model at all
    and i would want independent rear suspension
    both of which my cats have
    good luck

I'm a Cat fan as well, however if I were in the market, I would look real hard at the Yamahas, and Suzukis. Definitely get independant suspension, much nicer ride and a solid axle. Also, power steering is available these day, thats probably worth looking at as well. Get at least one engine size bigger than what you think you will need.

this question seams to get asked atleast every season and not to beat a dead horse, but with a little searching through the threads already posted you will get everyones opinion without having to wait for replys because it is all right there ready to be read in one shot. Another forum to check out for good advise and ideas is atvfrontier.com they have the forums broken dow from general atv stuff to spacific brand forums with real news about each model so you can get an educated descion for yourself.

After our family owning a several ATV's Honda/Polaris/Suzuki my wife just got a Ranger XP LE. Medical reasons suaded her that way. She loves it cause its like driving a car. We will never buy an ATV again. That ranger is amazing in the ride, power, load capacity, clearance, and versatility. Nothing better then having your loved one right next to you, enjoying the sights together, having a great conversation and being able to take the kitchen sink with you or should I say her. Alot to be said also about the accessories that you can add that can make you much more comfortable in the elements. Amazing what just a top and windshield will do for you on a cold wet windy day. Also, its cheaper than buying 2 machines. I'm sold Only dis-advantage I have encountered so far is finding an enclosed trailer I can drive into without having to modify her machine.

I'm convinced there are no bad name brand wheelers. I have owned Kawasaki, Arctic Cat and now have two Yamahas. I have the 660 and a 700 with power steering. I have had the power steering machine for over 2 1/2 years and I am in love with it.

Post news miner in fbks/ last week

had a 2007 king 700and a eiger 4000 for like 10,000.00 no miles on them.... try fishing for them in jan 2010.. taxs are due and there hard as he** to sell when the temps are low
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default kymco

pick up a couple kymco 500's.

Default Thanx

Hey guys,

Thanx for the info. I am not sure about the Ranger, my wife wants to be able to be a little more independent when she rides cause she is afraid of riding with me.

I have been looking at the Polaris Sportsman 500 or 600 so that i have some storage compartments for tools and repair parts. I know that I can pick up bags for them but if we just want to run out and play with minimal gear on our rigs i don't want to be stuck with out some repair stuff. I think that a 500 or 600 would be a good fit for me, but the wife I think should be a little smaller. (Don't want her running off to far from me.) But I if I get something to small I can't lend it to my hunting partners.

Thanx again for the help guys.

Default I agree

there are no "bad" brand name ATV's. What there are are dealerships with a sales/parts department that doesn't know the difference between shearing the sheep and skinning it. Like the one in the Valley that charged me $5.00 for a nut that I later found @ Lowe's for $0.75. I wouldn't care if they started giving away stuff there, I'll never go back.

Then there are the service guys that don't know the difference between providing service and "servicing" the customers, if you catch my drift.

I deem it as important, if not more so, the relationship one has with the outfit that is going to providing the parts and service you will need later than having the latest Po-Yama-cat. Cuz stuff happens and you will be breaking things off that new toy just as sure as interchangeable parts don't.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default Gotta go with Contender

none of the big names make bad machines.
    That said, if I had to buy a new one right now (as in this minute) I would go Yamaha 550 w/EPS. I wouldn't go any bigger motor wise, if you can't get it done with 500cc's another 2 or 300 isn't going to help (on a wheeler, SxS can use bigger). And I am riding a 700 right now for what that is worth.
    The important part is to get one and get out there!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Just starting

What were the entry and paint fees like for the events and for just general rec play? Is there a pretty good turnout?

PartyChief makes a good point about service with the dealership.