Thread: Yo-yo reels

Default Yo-yo reels

Anybody have any experience using a yo-yo reel for ice fishing? I've used a variety of tip-ups, but I was reading in a book about old time Alaska and this type of reel was mentioned. I ordered two off of E-bay.

I'm thinking of suspending them under a small foldable tripod. Any other ways to rig them?

Default yo-yos

Sayak, we used to use them by laying a big branch over the ice hole and tieing the yoyo to a branch that was sticking up a ways from the ice. My father always went to great lengths to pick the "right" stick for our sets. It has been years since I have even thought about yoyos. Good Luck this winter. Kyle

Default yo-yo's

Yes and I have a whole case of brand new ones if you need more.
    Tried them for Pike through the ice with less than satisfactory results.
    Watched one go off with a quick strike on it.Even with the two trebels they some how still got the bait and got off.
    Mikght have to try them again this year with some different rigging options.I tied it to the roof of my old ice shanty and was waiting when it went off.Line came up minus my bait and the pike.
    If yopu end up looking for someone to help you testr them send me a pm.
    Chris

Default Thanks guys

There on the way. I'm anxious to give them a try for lakers this winter.

Lightbulb Hook problem

The reason you might be losing your bait from your treble hook might be that the hook is not being set. Used to happen to me with pike all the time. Several years ago I switched to "J" hooks and never looked back. In order for the pike to get the herring, he has to take the whole thing into his mouth, then the J hook sticks into the roof of his mouth. They look pretty funky and clunky, but they work good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    The reason you might be losing your bait from your treble hook might be that the hook is not being set. Used to happen to me with pike all the time. Several years ago I switched to "J" hooks and never looked back. In order for the pike to get the herring, he has to take the whole thing into his mouth, then the J hook sticks into the roof of his mouth. They look pretty funky and clunky, but they work good.
    Shhhh.....

Default Setting the hook.

Gary W. apparently you haven't used yo-yo's before. One of the benefits of a yo-yo is that they are spring loaded and set the hook for you.
    They are very popular in the south when setting for catfish as they can set them out and return later to retrieve the fish. Sets the hook and keeps tension on them the whole time.
    When the pike I am talking about took the bait it immediatly set the hook paused ever so briefly and reeled it self up minus the whole hooligan I had on for bait.
    As for the treble hook thing well.....
    If you have never used a quick strike rig you are probably missing more pike than me.They are the primary setup of the guys from infisherman. Doug Stange, Al linder. toad smith and their peers. The guys catch more BIG pike in one season then I will in 10.
    Have been making my own for years and they are deadly.I use size 6 and/or 8 hooks. These easily stick in their jaw as they are Small enough to get between their teeth. You probably used too large of a treble.
    Also you might want to try Swedish hooks. Run it through the whole bait. Very deadly but hard to release unwanted fish alive(incidental large dollys and such and yes they will take a whole herring).I switched from J hooks years ago and seem to catch more pike now than before. Of course This is due to more than hooks. I am now a better pike fisherman with better gear than I had access to when I was younger.
    tip-up+Quickstrike+hooligan+location+timing=Pike fish fry at my house.
    Sayak if you find you like them I have some I would give you a really good price on.Or you could tell me the secret lake trout rigging secrets to make them work and I might try using them again.
    Actually bought them for a burbot fishing trip but again mixed results.
    CHRIS

Default Well...

... I'm just interested in where you are getting big pike in our area!

Smile Nope

You are right Kaliso...I have not used yo-yo reels. But I have used J hooks and there is no need to set the hook with these bad boys. All due respect, you can keep your toys, and I'll keep using what works for me.
    As to Sayak...big pike are where you find them. I've caught them in some pretty innocent looking places.

Default On the pen?

You are right Kaliso...I have not used yo-yo reels. But I have used J hooks and there is no need to set the hook with these bad boys. All due respect, you can keep your toys, and I'll keep using what works for me.
    As to Sayak...big pike are where you find them. I've caught them in some pretty innocent looking places.
    I'm skeptical. Stormy has some but the fishnfur has been working hard to rid most other lakes of them, and to my knowledge has been successful.

I'm thinking Mr. Kasilofchrisn is going elsewhere to find his pike and burbot.

Default Pike and Burbot

I only fish the Penninsula .
    Most of the pike I get are not really that big. They average 2-5#.
    Have caught a couple of bigger fish a few years back (over 10#)but ADF&G really has put a big damper on our pike fishing down here.
    As for the burbot We have never caught many that were all that big either.
    Just not very many big ones on the Peninsula. They can only be found in Juneau and trout lakes. Most of them are between 1-1.5# with the occasional fish that might go close to 3#.
    Still I would use a Quickstrike or Swedish hook over a J hook anyday for pike.
    For burbot I use a large J hook to meet the hook gap requirements.
    As for where the Pike come from you will have to figure that out yourself.
    CHRIS

Talking Says alot

"Most of the pike I get are not really that big. They average 2-5#.
    Still I would use a Quickstrike or Swedish hook over a J hook anyday for pike."

I have observed Swedes quickstriking with yoyo's. Most of their fish are around 2 to 5 lbs. Ha Sorry....Could not resist.

Bottom line is.....use what works for you. I do! You with me there Dirto????

Default Agreed

Gary W I agree use whatever works for you.
    I have also learned to experiment and find things that can work better than what I have used before.Some times I am amazed and others are a flop.
    Reading books and watching videos made by professionals can sometimes teach me amazing new methods and techniques. even though Alaska is not the same as the lower 48 or Canada some things can easily apply here as well as there.
    As for the yo-yo's being toy's I thought the same thing of Vexilar Flashers (fish finders) for ice fishing and some of the other stuff I now use. Well I can tell you most of this stuff is amazing in how it can increase your catch.
    yo-yo's are really simple little devices. An internal spring that winds in and out like a rewind on a power auger. A simple little latch and there you go. all in about a 2"-2 1/2" x1/2 " little device. Also they are inexpensive.
    They did not work well for me but, if sayak can figure out a way to make them work for him More power to him.
    It is oftentimes fun to be outfishing someone only 10'-20' away while Trout or Kokanee fishing using some lure they have never seen before. sometimes they get mad other times they want to buy your lure. Whatever works isn't always a standard item or available locally. I am always open to try other stuff.
    Sayak Keeep us updated on how they work for you.
    CHRIS

Default Finns vs swedes

BTW I am not Swedish I am Finnish! we outfish the Swedes all the time through the ice!!
    If you see a finnlander fishing through the ice pay attention as you might just learn something.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Smile passing time and enjoying the great outdoors

I mean't nothing personal in my last post. Just seemed to all kind of fit together and gave me a chuckle.
    And I agree that there are probably always new tricks to find, but I have gotten to the point where after trying new things and watching other people for most of my life, I feel like I may not know everything, but I am done trying to reinvent the wheel every day.
    And as far as worrying about what the other guy is doing a few feet away from me: I fish in places where there is no other guy, other than my finnish partner or course. Yes, sometimes he outfishes me, and sometimes its the other way around. As long as I'm enjoying myself doing what I do, I feel no need to be competitive with fishing. Never have entered a derby or gambled on fishing.
    Don't get me wrong, fishing is a wonderful thing, and I have enjoyed it tremendously all of my life (major passion), but it all boils down to just being another great reason to be out in the "Great Outdoors".
    I apologize to Sayak for kind of highhacking this thread. PM me and I will steer you in the direction of the "Big Pike". I have no problem with sharing info with those that ask.

I mean't nothing personal in my last post. Just seemed to all kind of fit together and gave me a chuckle.
    And I agree that there are probably always new tricks to find, but I have gotten to the point where after trying new things and watching other people for most of my life, I feel like I may not know everything, but I am done trying to reinvent the wheel every day.
    And as far as worrying about what the other guy is doing a few feet away from me: I fish in places where there is no other guy, other than my finnish partner or course. Yes, sometimes he outfishes me, and sometimes its the other way around. As long as I'm enjoying myself doing what I do, I feel no need to be competitive with fishing. Never have entered a derby or gambled on fishing.
    Don't get me wrong, fishing is a wonderful thing, and I have enjoyed it tremendously all of my life (major passion), but it all boils down to just being another great reason to be out in the "Great Outdoors".
    I apologize to Sayak for kind of highhacking this thread. PM me and I will steer you in the direction of the "Big Pike". I have no problem with sharing info with those that ask.
    I am waaay on board with this!!! Bring it on, hard water, soft water, boat, bank or swimming pool!

Mike