Thread: Anyone eat...

Default Anyone eat...

Lamprey eels? This will be my first year trying them...a friend gave them to me & tells me that they're very oily & taste like sardines...

Lamprey's migrate up river after first ice up & number in the BIZIILIONS! I've seen some old pictures of people, upriver, having two piles about 5' high & a good 7-10' in diameter...

Apparently, you cut the head off at the end of the gill holes & then gut & clean them out & bake them, dumping the huge amounts of oil out periodically...I can't wait to try them!

Anyone else?

(one wonders if you can eat these raw like in sushi & how'd they taste?)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow gogo man.... i am surprised you have not had them... canned, fried, they are all good. oily yes... kind of like fresh hering.
    Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post

Lamprey eels? This will be my first year trying them...a friend gave them to me & tells me that they're very oily & taste like sardines...

Lamprey's migrate up river after first ice up & number in the BIZIILIONS! I've seen some old pictures of people, upriver, having two piles about 5' high & a good 7-10' in diameter...

Apparently, you cut the head off at the end of the gill holes & then gut & clean them out & bake them, dumping the huge amounts of oil out periodically...I can't wait to try them!

Anyone else?

(one wonders if you can eat these raw like in sushi & how'd they taste?)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smoke them.

Unagi is mostly smoked (freshwater eel).

Anago is smoked, broiled, or fried (saltwater eel).

Long smoking reduces the oil content. Add a little Yoshida's.

I would not advise eating eel raw.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Vince...

They look HIDEIOUS! them & Hagfish as well, so I really don't wanna try them...when I first went to Nelson Island, they wanted me to eat "devil fish" & I was like NO WAY! Anything that looks hideous is out of my appitite range...& I know I shouldn't be this way, but I was raised on meat & potatos...

With that said, the half dried & then boiled king salmon (called rraamaalluk, very hard to spell) stinks to high heaven & I didn't like to smell them being cooked as the smell gave me a headache, but just about a year ago, I tried them & are one of my FAVORITE ways to eat King...So I am kickin' myself in the arse for not trying it earlier...& I know I will probably kick myself in the arse when I try Lampry for the first time...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    They look HIDEIOUS! them & Hagfish as well, so I really don't wanna try them...when I first went to Nelson Island, they wanted me to eat "devil fish" & I was like NO WAY! Anything that looks hideous is out of my appitite range...& I know I shouldn't be this way, but I was raised on meat & potatos...

now GOGo man....

back when you were a younger man..and experimanting for the first time........i am sure she did not want to try the eel either.....hideious creature it was... but you know once the head is cut off or swollowed in some cultures they all look the same
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Restating this......having been raised in Michigan the sea lamprey is the most hated thing that swims in my book! Just looking at them makes my skin crawl, truly an instant visceral reaction too them.

However since I've tried several other "bush meats" that seemed less than edible but turned out OK to dang tasty I would be willing to give them a try. Ain't going to catch them myself but if someone was serving them I'd give it a try in the interest of expanding my palate and being open minded.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Restating this......having been raised in Michigan the sea lamprey is the most hated thing that swims in my book! Just looking at them makes my skin crawl, truly an instant visceral reaction too them.

However since I've tried several other "bush meats" that seemed less than edible but turned out OK to dang tasty I would be willing to give them a try. Ain't going to catch them myself but if someone was serving them I'd give it a try in the interest of expanding my palate and being open minded.
    Rick, you can have my share too. My palate is fine the way it is.

Default hehehe...

Rick, I know the exact prescription to the Great Lakes lamprey problem...

OK lets hear it Gogo.......personally I did my best to kill everyone of the things I could find.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thumbs up Open up a...

commercial harvest & sell the to Asian buyers...

Now there is an Idea! Trouble is you'd have a hard time finding a Michigander willing to touch the **** things.

Come to think of it I'll bet I've had them at our sushi place and didn't realize it. Tracy loves the "smoked eel" yup bet its lamprey.
    BHA Member

Default Well...

would have to find & pattern their migration as well, & other stuff like that...

Not only do they eat them in Asia but they're eaten in Europe...

Wonder if you could trap them like crab pots?

Exclamation I'M WITH RickP ON THIS ONE....

THEY kill off good trout steams...there "bugs"!!..I will eat what THEY eat .The way they stay alive remines me of sea lice....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Wow!

They're really not too shabby...they're definatly an eat one time a year type deal, but they, IMHO, taste better than beaver...

They're rich in oil have a very dark brown meat, & NO BONES! only a vertebral colum that's edible...the guts are edible as well, but I gave them to my husky who ate them up with abandon!

Both my sons liked them, my 2 y/o daughter wouldn't touch them & my wifey, being raised here, only ate maybe half of one & gave the rest to my oldest son...who gobbled them down...hands & face full of lamprey eel grease...LOL!!!

I think the only way my wife will eat these, is if she's starvin' to death, & then, only maybe...