Thread: seakayak from Whittier or Seward

Default seakayak from Whittier or Seward

Hello,
    I plan to paddle from Kenai peninsula next summer in the beginning of August, during about one week.
    We would like to see tidal glaciers and wildlife.
    Which is the best place to start (maybe another one?)
    We would like to avoid large tide cycle, strong winds and waves and too crowded places.
    Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english, I write you from France.
    Marie

I prefer kayaking out of Whittier. Prince William Sound seems to be a little more protected even though there are some areas that have a lot of open water. As far as the tides go...there are large tidal swings pretty much everywhere here. Its not bad though, you can plan for them and use them to your advantage. As far as waves, that will all depend on the weather and luck for that matter. The waves can really kick up in Resurrection Bay out of Seward and without a water taxi you would have to paddle through some exposed areas to get to glaciers. Out of Whittier you can paddle around the point from passage canal and get into Blackstone Bay where there are tidewater glaciers. If you really want to get away from people, a water taxi might be the best bet. They can drop you off further out and you can paddle back to Whittier. Paddling anywhere in AK is well worth the time and money so you can't go wrong. Just be prepared with all the necessary safety gear and realize how long it may take to get help if something bad happens.
    Heath

Thanks Head for your advice!
    Marie