Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helicopter hunting ?

Default Helicopter hunting ?

Should helicopters be allowed for transporting hunters and gear in some areas for moose and caribou hunting to alleviate overcrowding ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NO!!!!!!!!!!!
    better get brains speech out from last spring
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Want to alleviate "Over Crowding"......and solve most subsistence issues, and all the registered guide issues.......? It is easy. Just back the clock up a nice round 100 years. No combustion engines.....Period. Walk, use dogs, horses, sail boats, Just no combustion engines.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

man i remember when the helo ban went it for good reason. the UN fettered use of it was/is a lager cause to the decimation of sheep populations as well other hunting areas.. it is TOO hard to enforce any regulations on them.

Brian M wrote a heck of a speech last year for the BOG regarding the helo use in unit 16 for bears snaring.

i cant seem to find where it was posted but it it got right to the heart of the issues fast.

helicopters have no place in the hunting area at all.. except for emergency response.. in which you leave all gear and game behind if you board it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs down

Not no, but, Hell NO!!!

Plus what AGL4now said.

No way and we can do away with planes also.

who cares about overcrowding? It is a personal choice to hunt where others are... if you don't want to hunt where others are... "these boots are made for walkin' "

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    And no Boats!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    And no Boats!
    What would be wrong with boats....as long as there was "NO" Combustion engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    man i remember when the helo ban went it for good reason. the UN fettered use of it was/is a lager cause to the decimation of sheep populations as well other hunting areas.. it is TOO hard to enforce any regulations on them.

Brian M wrote a heck of a speech last year for the BOG regarding the helo use in unit 16 for bears snaring.

i cant seem to find where it was posted but it it got right to the heart of the issues fast.

helicopters have no place in the hunting area at all.. except for emergency response.. in which you leave all gear and game behind if you board it...
    When were they legal?
    Joe (Ak)

If we allow helicoptors to access areas for moose, sheep, bear, and/or caribou hunting, the guides/hunters will rape the area as they have in the other areas of the state and do it because with a clear concience by saying, "If the Fish and Game, DNR or some other State entity says it is legal, it must be ok." People use daily and yearly bag limits as a benchmark/guidelines for conservation. If the state says the speed limit is 60 miles/hour, the drivers drive 60 miles/hour. If the State offers unlimited numbers of tags, guides/hunters feel that they can take an unlimited number of animals. If the State offered an unlimited number of ewe tags, hunters/guides would start buying them and hit the mountains. The State needs to get with the times and help regulate the numbers of animals taken so that we and our kids can continue to hunt. If the state doesn't limit it, the sportsmen will wipe out the resource and we won't be able to go hunting. The Alaska Professional Hunters Association (APHA) is one of the worst when it comes to promoting CONSERVATION. Regulations set by the Alaska Fish and Game are saving the resources to ensure hunting for us and our kids in the future, they(the regulations) are not "the begining of the end of hunting". Come on APHA, get with the program!

What's the big deal, we currently allow same-day-airborne hunting for bears using fixed-wing aircraft under general hunting regs, and helicopter SDA for bears under control regs. Hell, we even promote SDA using helicopters for youth "hunters" in order to ostensibly recruit new hunters.

You know, introduce new hunters to bear hunting...or rather "bear control" in order to "do their part" to help moose populations. I wonder if all those potential new recruits to hunting wonder why they can't also use helicopters for transport to help them take moose and sheep and caribou. Gee, maybe we'll see proposals to allow such.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You best not be using a plane to get from Anchorage or wherever to get back to Wrangell and then go hunting once you get home.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 11-15-2009 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    What's the big deal, we currently allow same-day-airborne hunting for bears using fixed-wing aircraft under general hunting regs, and helicopter SDA for bears under control regs. Hell, we even promote SDA using helicopters for youth "hunters" in order to ostensibly recruit new hunters.

You know, introduce new hunters to bear hunting...or rather "bear control" in order to "do their part" to help moose populations. I wonder if all those potential new recruits to hunting wonder why they can't also use helicopters for transport to help them take moose and sheep and caribou. Gee, maybe we'll see proposals to allow such.
    your sarcasim is a little lacking at this point mark....

meet on face book here

I can understand not using a Heli to hunt, but they could just add rules to that crowd of people. (maybe cant hunt for 3 days after landing and the heli has to stay there) The liberals that say no, are the people that dont have the means or know how to do it them self. This is alaska, is for the young and pioneering.

To the guy at said no combustion engins, Just becuse you have a boat dosen't mean you are going to be sucessful. Maybe you should not use any tools just your hands.

Yeah ^^^^ lets make an exception, then more regulations, and then more regulations,, All so the high paying, fancy schmancy- guides , "sportsman conservations(yeah right)", and wealthy citizens can rape the land before the snow forces the animals to walk attainable hunting grounds,... yeah that's it..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

when i was guiding in 17 i always looked forward to the flight in, and all the monster moose i would see in remote valleys and along small streams in the headwaters of the drainages we hunted.
    i knew that those moose were inaccessible, and the breeding stock that kept the hunting good, and the big moose we killed came from the big moose we couldn't.
    add choppers to the equation and there will be no big moose we can't get...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    when i was guiding in 17 i always looked forward to the flight in, and all the monster moose i would see in remote valleys and along small streams in the headwaters of the drainages we hunted.
    i knew that those moose were inaccessible, and the breeding stock that kept the hunting good, and the big moose we killed came from the big moose we couldn't.
    add choppers to the equation and there will be no big moose we can't get...

there will be no sheep on the moutians

no bears on the beaches

no elk on the ridges

no goats in the peaks

the guys that now circle the day away in cubs will land on them opeing day or the eve before.. and be done with hunting by daylight

meet on face book here

Default Um!

It does pose a very interesting question and seems to invoke passion.

Funny thing is no one seems to care about fishing or other reasons they are used.
    I guess if you look at it from just a resource point of view they are used for just about everything with the exception of hunting which I am sure one of the reasons is to restrict access.

Keep in mind most of us think hunting and fishing is our given rights under the current Alaska Constitution unfortunately even though it is fairly new considering the scope of things it to must be modified to meet the ever challenging changes for today's society.
    The basic principles that were established our sound in theory however difficult to maintain with all the outside pressures and Big Business concerning our fish and game.

Make no mistake although most of our regulators have good intentions most rules and or restrictions or benefits are to provide certain user groups better access or more chances to harvest that fish and or game for their benefit not everyone’s for the sake of management.

Maybe a little off subject but if we are going to have the debate let’s start putting all the cards on the table.

Should they be used IMO no however that does not mean someone with the best intentions will not open that door.

Respectfully
    Blue Moose

Simply put the animals ability to evade us cannot exceed our technology- their most common defense is being where you're not. Take away their ability to evade through terrain, distance and topography and you don't have much of a challenge or a hunt and the animal doesn't have much of a chance.

Given unlimited access to technology we can drive any species off the face of the earth. If we all want to go back to hunting in buckskins and shooting self made bows and throwing spears we can probably dispense with seasons and bag limits pretty quick and kill all we can because we just won't put much of a dent in the population.

With respect to technology...
    What killed the buffalo? I've read some very good authors that surmise the transcontinental railroad killed off the buffalo. That piece of technology alone gave thousands upon thousands of hunters easy access to the vast herds that just a few years before were relatively unmolested except by a few hardy ranching locals, explorers and native americans. The railroad also allowed the markets of the east access to the commodities buffalo provided. The era prior to conservationist thinking provided no check on the slaughter and neither did government policies to "civilize the Indian by the elimination of the buffalo".

The combined population of the West prior to the railroad couldn't have wiped out the buffalo in a thousand years. Once the first railroad cut the heart of the migration in 1867 the buffalo were all but extinct by 1884.

I think when we discuss allowing technology to access animals as a resource we need to tread very carefully and the idea of a helicopter being used by a sport hunter is pretty sketchy in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast