Thread: Yamaha 115 4 stroke

Default Yamaha 115 4 stroke

I have a buddy that is thinking about putting one on the back of his 25ft Pro Apollo. He has a 90 2 stroke Merc. now and can do 25 knts. He is thinking about upgrading to the 115. Do any of you have any experience with teh 115 Yamaha 4stroke? Any thoughts?

I have one on my 18' hewes I bought new in 2007. It has been a great motor so far, I have about 300 hrs. on it.

I have a pair of them and absolutely love them, but I think your friend needs a little more power than one 115. It might not get him on step. My Hewescraft Alaskan 240 will not get on step with one motor only. Had I known I couldn't get on step with one motor, I would have put twin 150's or a single 225 with a high trust kicker. . If I were your buddy would put what ever HP is boat is rated for, or lightly less if money is the issue. JMO

He gets on step fine with his 90hp Merc. Its a no frills boat. No cuddy and all that. Its a Battle Cruiser. Made to fish with out all the frills. Its just a plane Jane fishing machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Should fit fine on there as long as your free board at stern is adequate with the 90 2 stroke and a person next to it. Not sure on the width at bottom but from the picture it looks to be an easy fit. As for the Yamaha motors, never had one.

A Pro Apollo of that size will be the perfect rig with a 115 on the back. A Pro Apollo or Cooper skiff really look good for just a plain aluminum skiff. It will be quiet, fuel efficient and you will still be able to troll with it.

I assumed a 25 foot boat would have a cabin. My Bad. With all the details I definately think he will love the 115 Yamaha. I had a Honda 90BF on my 18' and like it but the Yamaha 115 IMO after owning both is a much better motor. He should be pleased.

I've heard that the 115 four stroke (Yamaha) is one of the best motors currently made. Thinking that it'll be great on that boat. Does he run a kicker?
    Jim
    PS----I know it's not in the same ballpark, but we've got a 25 Yamaha four stroke and it's a great motor; reliable, starts instantly, and sips fuel.
    Jim

Big Jim
    no kicker yet but that is next. I wish i know what the fuel capacity of his boat is. I have tried to call Pro Apollo and not gotten anyone to pick up. The were made in Ninlichik. I wonder if they are still in business. Its a great boat just not alot of frills. I like it with out the cabin as it sure gives a lot more room to fish. much nicer than 5 people in a small square. however a cabin is nice for the ride in and out.