Thread: When to breed?

Default When to breed?

I've got this beautiful Chocolate Lab and excellent hunter on birds and the wife wants to breed her after we go thru the process of the Medical etc... HOw old should we wait till we breed her. She's 3 and some odd months now.

she needs to be 2 yrs....this is the age when OFA will certify that her hips are not displastic (or are)

do you know which medical tests?

also - think about this....

Labs are one of the most popular breeds...because of this, their puppies (as young adults often times) are taken to shelters because people can't or won't keep them anymore....Ask Wetland Retreivers...
    So, are you willing to take a dog back 2,3 8 yrs down the road, if the owners can't keep it?

can you presell several of the pups before they are born? to quality homes? Lab puppies are literally a dime a dozen, it seems....the best (pet qualified, informed) buyers will gravitate toward the best breeders (usually).....

medical tests aren't the only things to consider.....is your dog worthy of breeding? (and no simply because she's beautiful and likes birds).....

not saying this to be 'uppity'..I don't own or breed labs...just want you to think long and hard about breeding your girl....and the ramifications that it can bring down the road.

here are some of the 'medical' tests I would suggest...

EIC, CNM, PRA, (all DNA tests)
    elbows (for elbow displaysia)
    hips (for hip displaysia)
    proper bite (scissors or level)
    proper conformation
    CERF (yrly)
    thyroid

have a good day!
    Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

A couple of other things I forgot to put in...

Number one...think about the type of pups you want to produce and the type of puppy buyer you are looking to target and how that plays into the type of stud you decide on.

In your case, it is probably people that want to hunt their dog and have a companion. With that in mind, the choice of stud is important.... A dog that has a 'proven' pedigree is going to be important. That means that the dog and his sire and dam hunt or run hunt tests/field trials and have working titles....and that the pedigree shows a strong number of field trial or hunt test titles....

If you are looking for a specific type of comformation and/or color, this narrows your search down even further....
    Also, you need to find a stud that compliments your female...strengthens her weak points and doesn't add to them (ie, breeding two vocal dogs together is not a very good idea, or breeding two dogs with poor angulation or coat)....If your female has 'houndy' ears...you'll want to find a dog that has and produces a little smaller ear...etc....

As the owner of a stud dog, I have items I require by the owners of the female. I won't just breed my male to any female. You may find this is true also as you look for a stud dog..but I think that because there are so many labs out there, it would not be too difficult..there are a lot of stud owners that don't care about anything except the stud fee.

what I require from the female.....
    current brucellosis (both dogs must be tested - this is an STD that is standardly tested for)
    all health clearances listed in the post above
    working titles and conformation titles...or I want to know/have seen the dog personally several times.
    to see the puppy buyer's contract/questionaire....
    to know that if one of the buyer's can't keep a pup, the pup will go back to the breeder or me, if a suitable home can't be found. (this goes beyond a majority of 'stud' owners contracts, but it is important to me...the pups are, after all the product of my dog as well)

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Default Breeding Dogs

What Juli says!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smtdvm View Post
    What Juli says!!!
    Yep...............

Thanks a ton.....

I think a more important question is "Why to breed?"

Juli did a great job of covering everything except one small detail. Please don't breed your chocolate to a yellow.
    I am tired of seeing so many pink nosed, green eyed yellow labs...it just ain't right. Besides, if the chocolate doesn't carry yellow and the yellow doesn't carry chocolate, you'll end up with a litter of all black and it doesn't sound like you want that.
    If you have an extended pedigree, I can make an educated guess as to what you'll get, but if you want to know for certain, you'll need a color test as well.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

LOL!

dudley puppies!

of course, me being a chessie person, would not think about that!

and as an edit to my previous post...

I do not 'require' elbow certs, eic results, or thyroid tests from owners of females looking to use my dog as a stud....However, I do strongly reccomend them....I do and will test my own females for these health issues along with the others. And also for DM, which is somewhat of an issue in chessies....DM is not an issue for labs, as far as it is known.....

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!