Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with longbow subzero temps?

Default Hunting with longbow subzero temps?

To all the traditional hunters out there I have a question. I needed to get out of the house today and decided a walk with a chance at hares or grouse would be the ticket. Was originally going to take my longbow, then got to thinking about the below 0 temps we were having today and thought "hmm that might not be good for it", drawing it back after carrying it around while frozen stiff, so I took a .22 instead. So, what do you think? Will it crack/break/hurt it when temps are below zero? I just don't want to mess her up. Thanks in advance!
    Cody

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey cody go see tom at kings knock... he made me a string for my wheeler for shooting to -30 with no issues.

i think your bow itself will be okay as the cold we are at is still damp and not overly drying anything out... @ -20 and below is when things start to get real brittle. @ -40 steel starts to break when treated wrong..@
    -55 have seen frames break on cars..

any way.. not sure if you know tom.. he is a grumpy fart but knows his stuff.. nice guy when you get past the exterior.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The coldest Ive taken my recurve out was about 15deg. I myself have wondered if it would do anything to the bow when its that cold, so I have not taken mine out when its that cold. I would think that it would'nt be good for it, but not totally sure.

I have taken mine out in -30 and -40 temps with no ill effects. It's a pain to draw...muscles get tight, lots of cloths, but it can be done. We've done a bunch of hare hunting in years past in the super cold longbow and wood arrows to boot.

A buddy had some finish issues spiderwebing on a wes wallace...wes re finished it a couple times before they fixed the problem. This bow was stored outside every day in his pickup all day before he shot after work.

If you're shooting a selfbow, yew in particular I wouldnt shoot it...osage I'm sure you'll be ok for awhile, couldnt quote a temp but I dont think I'd hesitate to shoot it at 20 below at all. Being all wood it MAYBE a bit slugish.

I've never heard of a cold weather string lol. My early bows had b50, they worked fine...my current bows I'm shooting all have dynaflight 97, they all work fine also.

Any colder then that and I'm not so sure about my robertson hinge (temps when metal starts fatiging), but I can tell you this..if it's to cold for metal..it's too cold for me to be hunting in it!

So if I were you..I wouldnt hesitate to go!

Default Thanks guys

I really appreciate the responses, sounds like I could have taken her out, just didn't want to hurt her. Had a good walk either way today, was good to get out of the house! I don't normally post questions on here but this time I felt compelled, thanks again. Take care.
    Cody

My buddy used his longbow to shoot a musk ox last year in -30 temps. He said there were no performance issues.

Shear, you know Steve?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I've never heard of a cold weather string lol.!
    i guess i cant call it a cold weather string just one made that was not the stock string.. at 0 i was experiencing random flights and extremely sluggish response from my martin.. tom made up a new string that works flawlessly down to -30 which is my limit for shooting.. the cold does not seem to affect the material of it at all... i guess that is the best explainatin i can give..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, I wonder what he did material wise...sounds like just switched them out on ya. Dunno about the sluggish part, you'd think that'd have more to do with limbs then strings?

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Shear, you know Steve?
    I know Steve.

All wood -20 is about your limit depending on wood the bow is made of.(Ipe seems to be indestructible no matter what) Glass bow I really don't think I'd go to much bellow -30. In my experience bows seem to get faster in the cold till they reach there limit, then they suddenly take a dramatic down turn in speed.

As mentioned before at those temps it's more cold induced problems with the shooter that are the issue. To some it up if your shooting glass and you can still hack it so can your bow.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I think my osage selfbows would shoot in colder temps than I could pull the string in. I need to learn how to shoot with boxing gloves....

Wonder why I never see Steve H. post on the AK forums? He used to be active on some of the others.

Head over to Tradgang you'll see his posts
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

yup other then Tg, I dont think he posts to much anywhere else. I need to call that man one of these nites, figure out the draws if he hasnt already applied.

the key to cold weather shooting is warm trunk... most people put WAY to much stock in a pair of gloves... i wear lined leather all winter or green monkeys... down through -50 and more...

the key is keeping you body warm... wools/ blends and layers...

underarmore jeans and a Columbia coat and fuzzy hat of what ever .. will leave your teeth chattering...

i still go out side and scoop a hand full of snow and rub it in my hands and much to the wife and kids dismay walk out doors in my bare foot to get stuff from the car well past -40

if you body is warm your hands and feet will stay warm.. if you have bad circulation from smoking or other... get some exercises you'll feel better or find out the issue and correct it.

sorry for the new folks though.. it would be like me heading off to TX or AZ and not suffering the heat your all used to..( for example k?)

your blood still needs to thicken up , and it will... i nearly die in 100+ deg in the states, just like you cant get warm enough here. the best it to go out in it and be ACTIVE... warm you breath.. and play.. you will find the temp is lower then you thought soon enough...

meet on face book here

Vince...you're crazy LOL! I have some boiler plants for feet and hands and there is no way in sam hell I'll walk out barefoot! I may have as a teenager, but no way as an adult! When my feet get cold, most others are long gone, and it's pretty rare they are cold!

We were doing arctic survival class one nite when one of the trainers of all people got up to pee..too lazy to tie his boots.....he stepped out of his hooch barefoot and promptly froze his feet..non smoker, highly athletic northern guy much like myself. He's suffered since!

I wouldnt recommend these practices as the norm! Thoughts like these exspressed to the uneducated could easily send someone out to loose fingers and toes as a best case scenario....you can imagine what worst would be! one of those your 'mileage may vary' kinda things here... We have more then a few non cold weather peoples on this board...going through first winters or prepping to do so in years to come...frostbite at best isnt something to play with. I think anyone whose climbed Denali and lost some toes and fingers would agree!

Default Do yourself a favor

Cody, don't go see Tom. I've never had any luck other than bad, and most of the guys I know have had no different. You are getting good advice here.
    Vince, as far as strings go, for as long as I can remember they are all synthetic. While not an expert on bow mechanics, I can't believe the string would make that much difference. Maybe Tom sold you a bill of goods. Wouldn't surprise me.
    I've shot both of my Hoyt wheel bows to -25 or so with no ill effects at all. Point of aim stayed the same. No creaks, no groans. If I had a problem, the string would be the last thing I looked at.
    As far as cold goes, I worked all day outside today. My core was warm, my head was warm, and my feet were warm. I had to change gloves from lightweight to medium from time to time to keep my hands comfortable.

boud'arc....

there is a really sweet wool glove for glove shooters. Put your regular shooting glove on and slide this over...it turns from a mitt to a glove, called a glomitt. There is a thin one, and a thicker one. I have had great luck with the thicker glove. You TYPICALLy can find them at prospectors on s cushman. They are made by thinsulate and come in a cream to white color.

I'll see if I cant find a better link for them...they are not all created equal..one is lined, the rest are solid wool...you want the lined model which is much harder to find.

Tracy loves the glomitt style gloves. She has a lined pair that goes everywhere with her in the winter.

We first started wearing them ice fishing and bunny busting back in Michigan's UP.
    BHA Member

Steve H. build me a longbow for my birthday and gave it to me through tradgang.... Heck of a man. I feel bad for not going to visit him while I was home. Now im sitting down at the computer with surgery awaiting for my knee...... But to stay on topic, the bow he built me has killed snowshoes and ptarmigan in -20... I dont like to go out in much colder, things can go south real quick when it gets that cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast